Sign in to follow this  
xtprojects

Using K1R on xbox questions

Hi all, yep its xtprojects here again, doing the every so often KotOR modding project. Over the years I have had a lot of issues with using these mods on Xbox, but through some diligence and persistence, I have MOST of all of this working GREAT on the Xbox! I have a few issues I would like to inquire about, and I figure most people who know this a little bit better than I would prob know these answers.

First, I would like to thank all the mod makers for this great piece of work! Even though KotOR was always pretty much finished, it's always fun to go back through these games and get to see them in ALL their glory. Also a HUGE thanks to beadv as his tool MDLedit now converts working mdl/mdx files over to Xbox and they work PERFECTLY! So, no more model issues and crashing!

So without dragging this too far, here are the couple small issues I am running into.  I figure it won't be too much (hopefully) to figure out what is going on here.

1.) The carth cutscene on Taris where he comments about giving the PC kolto packs. The screen goes black and you can hear him, but not see him. Can't for the life of me figure out what the heck is going on. EDIT SOLVED!!!!!!!!

2.) When I try to load the upper city cantina,  some NPCs are missing their heads. Ice, Niklos, etc. Also the module wont load without appearance.2da. EDIT SOLVED!!!!!!!

3.) The Xbox seems to have some weird hangup with loading a new module. When I try to visit the swoop track, the module loads, but everything is black, but I can see NPCs, and cannot move. EDIT SOLVED!!!!!!!!

For now, these are the main ones I'm finding. There are some other small issues, but I am working on these 2 right now. With bead-v's tool, I have been able to get almost anything to work on Xbox now with minimal effort and they work GREAT!

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this or help. Once these little conflicts can get ironed out, I can release a mod pack to the mod makers to put out there for the Xbox users if they wish. I'd like to get this going for ALL to enjoy, and for the most part everything else works AWESOME, even the models!

On 6/16/2018 at 7:33 AM, xtprojects said:

1.) The Carth cutscene on taris where he comments about giving the pc kolto packs. The screen goes black and you can hear him, but not see him. Can't for the life of me figure out what the heck is going on. 

2.) When I try to load the upper city cantina,  some npcs are missing their heads. Ice, niklos, etc. Also the module wont load without appearance.2da. EDIT SOLVED!!!!!!!

3.) The xbox seems to have some weird hangup with loading a new module. When I try to visit the swoop track, the module loads, but everything is black, but I can see npcs, and cannot move.

For now, these are the main ones I'm finding. There are some other small issues, but I am working on these 2 right now. With beadv's tool, I have been able to get almost anything to work on xbox now with minimal effort and they work GREAT!

1. I'm pretty sure that's intentional. I mean, your character's unconscious, or at least "slipping in and out" of it, as Carth says

2. Weird, but glad you got it

3. Huh. That's weird. I take it you're referring to the restored swoop track module and not the mandatory one that you need to progress the plot? Might have something to do with the way it was restored, but I can't imagine why it'd be doing that. Hmm

• Like 1

Hey 134340 goat! Thanks for your responses! The reason why I think something is messed up is because I saw this:

and assumed that a cutscene was supposed to play, Is this from a different mod? I thought something was wrong with a camera. If is supposed to be black, please forgive me. LOL. Can someone with the PC mod confirm?

2.) The cantina issue was a weird one! The Xbox can be finicky and picky about how things load on kotor 1. I had to take a few files from the Taris cantina .mod file and add them to the appropriate rim file for Xbox, and now everything works great! Before, i had to load it with the appearance.2da file and heads as it would not load without it.

3.) This one is a weird one. I'm taking the smart approach and adding things one at a time. I used the TSL patcher and everything went through ok. I also CAN now use mdl/mdx files thanks to beadv! So with some very minimal tweaking, everything from this mod should function as it does on PC. Once it's all done, ill zip up all the files and send them to the mod makers of this so they can decide if they want to put it out for Xbox. I won't release anything without their permission, or blessing.

PS: Also, regarding the swoop track, yea it is the one you can visit and not the one you race on. I'm going to attempt to try it again to get it to work, but it makes no sense it loads that way.

Thanks for the response and hope to hear back soon! :)

• Like 1

Yeah, that restoration was by someone else, several years before K1R was a thing. So don't worry, it's functioning as intended

Nice! Thanks for the confirmation on that one Goat! :) I thought it was something wrong on the Xbox end, that's another to scratch off the list! So far so good on everything, I'm up to testing Dantooine now, and had to remove an added Jedi because he had a missing head. With my modified appearance and heads.2da files, that's the only instance (this far) of this happening. It's just one NPC, but still annoying. If I remove the 2 2da files, the Jedi disappears. (So is it a 2da conflict or module conflict?)

I also had to use the git file for danm13 from Xbox, as the one included in the mod file makes the map not tell you points of interest when you move around the points.The k1r one was 53kb, while the Xbox one was 50, but I see no no issues, everything is working as it should)  But everything else, seems to work OK. I need to get  back to Taris and make sure the black vulkar restoration works OK too.  Damn, I forgot about that one. :P )  One weird thing about Dantooine is the fix that fixed the missing heads in the Taris cantina didn't work for Dantooine. I simply moved the git, module IFO and area file over to danm.rim, and everything else in damn.mod I left in and renamed the file to danm_s.rim. The Xbox is set up that way, it uses those 2 files in the modules folder. Perhaps it does not like something in the git file.  That method fix the missing heads in the cantina. It was always Ice, Niklos, and some random noble youth NPC that head their heads missing. For the 2da files, I used 2da merge to the changes made and merged them in the Xbox 2da files. Which, I may add, are in a much different place than on NPC. They are not located in the bif files like I thought. :P 

I would love to be able to sort the issue now with the swoop track. I would love to be able to visit it and include the mod. Why would it show the characters and not the track itself? I can even see the doors! But I can't move, I'm stuck in place.

Really, at this point,  Most of this restoration works pretty well on Xbox. The one main re-occurring issue are heads on characters going missing every time I add one of the k1r restored content module files. It's not every character either, It is usually just one or 2 and it always needs a different fix. For the upper city cantina, I was able to move some files over to the Xbox rim files for that module. For Dantooine I used a diff git file. Is there a tool I can use to compare the git files, or is it even the git files causing it?

For the Dantooine courtyard, now it is Gar who is missing his head, and the 2 newly added republic soldiers have a body, but no head but everyone else is fine. :lol:I even merged the  appearance.2da and heads.2da files with the Xbox 2da heads and appearance files, so I don't think it's those files either. If I could figure out how to fix this issue or get a pointer on how maybe I could troubleshoot this, then I think most of the issues will be ironed out.

Thanks to any and all who take the time to read this and give their input with this. It's slowly coming together and looking good!

• Like 2

I would absolutely love to see a video or screens of how this looks in game, preferably the restored Black Vulkar module.

Thanks for the response, Mephiles550! Once everything is working correctly I will try to make a video of this. I can say the black Vulkar module works great on Xbox! No issues at all!

There is only one last thing to fix, and that is why do any new .mod or .rim files never work?, pretty much any new area on Xbox will not work. I have full faith it will be figured out.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 7:18 AM, xtprojects said:

Thanks for the response, Mephiles550! Once everything is working correctly I will try to make a video of this. I can say the black Vulkar module works great on Xbox! No issues at all!

There is only one last thing to fix, and that is why do any new .mod or .rim files never work?, pretty much any new area on Xbox will not work. I have full faith it will be figured out.

1 Have you created a custom ISO of the game and checked the ini flags so that it can load content from the console itself? Or included that custom content in the ISO itself?

Also sorry to resurrect a possibly dead topic but March 5 2019 isn't that long ago to me.

2 : I was also wondering did you create _a and _adx rim files for the new levels? these module files contain the various models associated with the levels, at least for KotOR2 this is the case and as I plan to try and get the main KotOR2 mods working along with my own project if possible.

I am pretty sure no matter what you will either need to edit and build around the K1 DLC or create a custom ISO of the game, I was thinking about using the K1 DLC as a template to build a K2 DLC / Xbox installer file for K2 mods.