Sign in to follow this  
Blue

Forum Idea: KotOR Hacking?

I have been working on a few KotOR related tools/apps on and off over the past few years. In that time i've had a heck of a time tracking down knowledge on the various file formats that the game uses. While some are still accessible on the old NWN Developers site with wayback machine, there are subtle differences in some of the files when it comes to KotOR. Over the years various modders and teams have cracked and deciphered crucial information in these areas. All of this info is very scattered and can require tracking down threads on various sites and or getting a hold of tool authors to share source code and info about such things.

The MDL/MDX thread from 2016 is one thread that comes to mind as one that could benefit from this approach, seeing as after a while it just gets buried in the Modding forum smushed in between other modding questions and WIP threads.

I'm proposing a new forum dedicated to organizing and cataloging the past and future info about file formats and general engine.

I believe this may help further the development of tools and engine assets for new and existing modders and coders.

I would love to hear other's thoughts on this! :)

• Like 2

I think wiki's are coming soon. That would probably be a good place for it

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Canderis said:

I think wiki's are coming soon. That would probably be a good place for it

I like the idea of a Wiki!

How would the editing process work for that? Would you need a certain permission level or would it be some sort of submission process?

It would also be nice if a discussion thread could be linked with wiki articles. Similar to how the get support feature works in the downloads section for different files. I found the discussion in the MDL/MDX thread very helpful and organic as multiple theories could be presented and tested. Then the most accurate info could be added to the wiki.

If the editing process isn't very difficult my above suggestion might not even be warranted.

A forum like that has already been proposed a few times since the new tools started appearing. There has been mention of new forums that are supposed to be on the waiting list to be created, but I'm not sure if this one is included. A wiki is very welcome, but I think a new forum for such discussions will still be necessary. So, fingers crossed!

• Like 1