///// 00. Disclaimer /////

Yeah, another side-project. Get over it.

///// 01. Background /////

Pazaak! The game whose name I misspell nearly every time I type it. Anyway, the cards are looking pretty dated these days and I've always had a small niche admiration for playing card design. Not to mention, this is a good way to practice with .guis. (Noticing a trend?) Here's the basic layout:

YB519Pz.jpg

///// 02. Planning /////

I grabbed every pazaak thing I could find in KotOR Tool, including the boards, cards, their variants, etc.

I then was able to locate the .gui for the board itself and holy flarksnorzen is that complicated. Everything you see has a height, width, x, and y. The names, the icons, the cards, the numbers on the cards, the scoring, EVERYTHING. Layers of .tgas and a font. I started mapping out the location of everything, and well, if you can decipher this, here's my rough translation of component locations and well as their dimensions:

5OqWIox.jpg

Note: The npc name game the with the save download. 😛

///// 03. Work Thus Far /////

Here's what I have thus far. I'm happy at this point with the card design. There are some touch ups to be done here and there for sure.

1iCvcXs.png

XkDqKcG.jpg

///// 04. Next Steps /////

I need to build out the rest of the assets of course. There's the back of the cards, revamp the icons and the board, and a few other things. One thing I noted while grabbing all of these assets, is that there are boards for different screen sizes AND there's the side deck selection and wager windows as well. At the very least though, new cards.

P.S. I can make green cards too for those who want them.

///// 05. Future Plans /////

Play around with the positioning, size, and color of the numbers. Some really cool things in general can be done with the whole board, but that'll take a lot of time and a lot of work. (I mean, I have to finish the star maps at some point, yeah?)

///// 06. Final Remarks /////

I'm always open to comments, critiques, and suggestions. Thanks for taking a look.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Holy moly I woke up to this awesomeness. Yes! And I believe that the board could be altered too, wow. But anyways- looking forward to this one CO! And don't forget the Star Map! 😂

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ebmar said:

Holy moly I woke up to this awesomeness. Yes! And I believe that the board could be altered too, wow. But anyways- looking forward to this one CO! And don't forget the Star Map! 😂

You're always my biggest fan, haha, I appreciate it. I hit a little snag last night as someone pointed out these look like Uno cards:

0018288-uno-card-game.jpg

So what I'll think I'll do in the meantime is create a revamp of the current design and work on another design at some other point. (Needless to say, this was a punch in the stomach!)

P.S. I'll PM you about star map.

7 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Before you get too carried away, you may want to look at @ndix UR's GUI mod and see what that does to all your values.

This looks like it'll save me a hell of a lot of work. Thanks!

I don't know  . . . I kinda like the Uno card look!  As long as you can add in the green cards, I'd say make two packs and see what everyone thinks when both are out?  (I mean, you've already done most of the work, right?)  Perhaps folks will gravitate towards the Uno version more than you think.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sith Holocron said:

Perhaps folks will gravitate towards the Uno version more than you think.

I am here to vote for the "Uno" version [no bumping intended] :cheers:

Edit: I'm referencing to this one, as this is close to the vanilla but still have that "revamped" looks which I dig for.

1944697021_COsPazaakRevamp-UnoVersion.png.3c5b4d74458aadcfaa722f422496b3d0.png

Edited by ebmar
Point reference to the "Uno" version.

2 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

I don't know  . . . I kinda like the Uno card look!  As long as you can add in the green cards, I'd say make two packs and see what everyone thinks when both are out?  (I mean, you've already done most of the work, right?)  Perhaps folks will gravitate towards the Uno version more than you think.

I made a green version actually, knowing people would want the K2 version. 😉

If I may suggest another design, there's this:

Pazaak.jpg.2b712bdc0d0cff13ae25d21e1a175e67.jpg

I think it's from some old roleplaying game but I was unable to find the source. But I'd love to see that one ingame.

Also, keep in mind that there's also a different texture for the Pazaak cards lying around in the game world that will need changing too.

• Like 1

I don't mind the one that looks like Uno, though the other one was nice too. My only concern is that for the plus or minus cards, it isn't obvious whether it's in the plus state or minus state at a quick glance. Maybe if the center oval were a solid color, with only the bottom corner in the opposite color?

19 hours ago, Kexikus said:

[...]

I think it's from some old roleplaying game but I was unable to find the source. But I'd love to see that one ingame.

That's a fan design. I remember the website from a few years ago. I think it's gone now, and I don't remember the URL. But I do remember it included other card variants, like silver cards.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:35 AM, Kexikus said:

Pazaak.jpg.2b712bdc0d0cff13ae25d21e1a175e67.jpg

Also, keep in mind that there's also a different texture for the Pazaak cards lying around in the game world that will need changing too.

The design you refer can be seen here. It can also be purchased here.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:35 AM, Kexikus said:

This reminds me, I did have the idea of doing a purely Aurebesh deck for the hardcore fans. And good point about the other cards in game.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:11 AM, Sith Holocron said:

The design you refer can be seen here. It can also be purchased here. 

I could reach out and see if they'd let me make these in game, could be fun.

• Like 1

I'm loving your little WIP threads!! 

Love the card design so far! Yeah I did think Uno when I first saw the card designs but I think they look great still. 

It's been awhile, I know. Here's an idea I threw together for a new scoring system:

HN2yE4K.png

Colors aren't set, that's just for an example. Middle semi-circle illuminates to whomever's turn it is; bars underneath illuminate per round won.

• Like 7

Ooooh does that look sharp.

• Thanks 1

Here's another update of the basic layout I'm looking it. It's going to be a lot more .gui work than I had planned, but anything for my adoring fans.

IvbmQU3.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, A Future Pilot said:

Dude, that's looking sexy!!

At first I thought I had posted a photo of my ass, but I see you were talking about the card layout.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CarthOnasty said:

Here's another update of the basic layout I'm looking it. It's going to be a lot more .gui work than I had planned, but anything for my adoring fans.

IvbmQU3.jpg

Oh my, another reason for not going to be able to finish the game then. Gonna spend lot more time in the Cantina playing Pazaak and hit on the dancers! :fpc:

• Like 1