Sign in to follow this  
Sith'ari Lokhran

KOTOR Tool and lightsaber sounds

Hello all Sith'ari Lokhran here. I had a question concerning the KOTOR tool. It has been awhile since I have played the KOTOR series let alone dabble with modding. I am getting back into KOTOR TSL today. First and formost I am going to get TSLRCM following up with Shem's legendary ultimate sound mod(starting mods). With that being said, could I use KOTOR tool to assign certain sounds within the mod to particular items? I.e. I the sound file that makes short lightsabers ignition sound that of Luke's ROTJ saber sound, could I assign that sound to the standard lightsabers with their corresponding colors? As well as the sound file for the standard sabers which ignite with Vader's Sith lightsaber sound but could I assign it to only red sabers? Standard, short and double? If I can could someone tell me how? Please and thank you! :)

Yes, sounds are defined in baseitems.2da, and by default there are only 3 types of saber - short, single, double.  You'd have to create new base item types for unique sounds, but I don't know if that would actually work for sabers given that upcrystals.2da only accepts the 3 base saber types.

1 hour ago, DarthParametric said:

Yes, sounds are defined in baseitems.2da, and by default there are only 3 types of saber - short, single, double.  You'd have to create new base item types for unique sounds, but I don't know if that would actually work for sabers given that upcrystals.2da only accepts the 3 base saber types.

It works. The sound is determined by the weapon material (weaponmattyp) in baseitems.2da, which directs to the line number in weaponsounds.2da. By default the three lightsaber types use line 1, but they could be made to be different. However, you'd only get different sounds for different lightsaber types, not for color. And as you say, we can't realistically add new lightsaber types so the limit is those three.

I was talking about the power up/down/hum sounds, which are specified in baseitems.2da and what I imagine OP was specifically referring to when talking about Luke's ROTJ saber sounds, but you are right that there are also all the swing/clash/impact/etc. sounds as well.

The point remains, though. If they are defined in baseitems.2da, one can define them only by type (short, single, double) and not by colour, no matter which sounds one is talking about.

Ah, I was overthinking it, since changing the on/off sounds is a rather trivial baseitems.2da edit. But yes, the point remains - it can only be by type, not color. If it were any other weapon then it wouldn't be a problem to add a new type specifically for that sound, which mods have done in the past, but with sabers we're out of luck.