milestails

(SPOILERS) Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

On 5/31/2018 at 4:10 PM, Hassat Hunter said:

Here you go.

You should know I never lie...

(I have no idea why it displays Twitter messages so poorly;

https:// twitter.com/JonKasdan/status/997684135933050880

Thanks! 

(Just for fun: is it your opinion that star wars is not large enough for gay/straight/black/white/purple people?)

Also if anyone knows: Nowhere in the film is it stated that Lando is a pansexual, where did that rumor come from? Because in the movie itself, the droid-Lando relationship is played of for laughs.
The droid rights activist (DRA?) comes across as a parody  of the current "SJW"-protesting wave.

No.

Because the writer Jonathan Kasdan explicitely said that in an interview. And then went all gung ho on fans with above tweet.

1 minute ago, Hassat Hunter said:

No.

Because the writer Jonathan Kasdan explicitely said that in an interview. And then went all gung ho on fans with above tweet.

Where did he explicitly say that in what interview? 

Tbh it's kinda worthless. The question was asked with a click bait already in mind. Once the question is asked, there's gonna be an article about it, and it's either gonna be "OMG STAR WARS CHARACTER IS GAY" or "STAR WARS SCREEN WRITER HATES THE GAY!".

"Uhh, yeah, I guess Lando could be whatever" is pretty much the only answer you can give when promoting a 500 million disney movie, doesn't matter whether it's implied in a movie or not.

• Like 1

Did you not see his tweet afterwards. Scroll upwards.

He wasn't baited. Also that's the way LF talks to fans. So yeah, wonder why a lot walk out.

I think the issue here is that its not the fact that the director told us Landos pansexual, but that the director felt the need to tell us that Landos pansexual (also one director saying Landos pansexual does not mean he is canonically). You will find most SW fans arent upset about more diverse themes being brought into SW, but they are upset that these themes are becoming the forefront of what Star Wars is. I for one would have preferred a slight nod that he could be pansexual instead of a director having to tell us this in an interview.

Anyway, back onto the topic at hand. I admit I did enjoy Solo. Its the first movie from Disney I thoroughly enjoyed. It took a while to get past the fact that Han was not played by Harrison ford, but besides that, it was fun to watch

On 6/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, Haveayap said:

I think the issue here is that its not the fact that the director told us Landos pansexual, but that the director felt the need to tell us that Landos pansexual (also one director saying Landos pansexual does not mean he is canonically). You will find most SW fans arent upset about more diverse themes being brought into SW, but they are upset that these themes are becoming the forefront of what Star Wars is. I for one would have preferred a slight nod that he could be pansexual instead of a director having to tell us this in an interview.

Him being pansexual  isn't even a point in the movie so the nod literally could not be smaller. It's not like you are forced to watch interviews with the director or have to furiously follow every twitterpost of people you know will outrage you, as some people are apparently apt to do. 

If you even believe he is a pansexual. The only time L3 mentions that he supposedly has feelings for her it's played off for laughs. Him going after L3 after she dies does not have to  mean he loves her either, but sees her as a friend or companion. 

• Like 2

Saw Solo tonight.  It bored me. Walked out twice for smoke breaks and didn't hurry back to the theatre.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

Saw Solo tonight.  It bored me. Walked out twice for smoke breaks and didn't hurry back to the theatre.

Yeah, really not a great must see film. I think if you were to ask yourself, "if this wasn't a Star Wars film, would I pay money to see it?", the answer would be no but you might stream it if you are bored and looking to watch anything sci-fi related. 

I also think that the writing in particular was something I'd expect from a made for TV film. It feels like it was written for television as part of some expanded universe, made for fan service but not good enough for a cinema release. I wonder with all their current issues -- Kathleen Kennedy rumored to already having been fired -- whether this may be a better strategy for them regarding Star Wars anthology films. Make them streaming only releases, like you find on NetFlix but instead for Disney's own streaming service. Which I've heard about. And for cinema releases, trilogy films that come out every other year. Oh, and non-EA Star Wars games... books... comics... if they can fix their problem before Star Wars is dead to the majority of fans.

And yes, I have seen the film and no I didn't watch it at the cinema -- and I'll leave it at that.

• Thanks 1

The problem with that is that the anthology movies are better than the trilogy movies...

Can't believe I haven't posted this one in the topic yet;

(Spoilers obviously)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dark Side Points 1

I just realized I hadn't commented in this thread yet! I LOVED Solo, even though I'll admit it added nothing new to the greater SW universe. It was funny, charming, and had GREAT music. And with the extremely low expectations set by the lackluster marketing, that was impressive enough for me to come out of the theater with a grin on my face! At least, all that plus the Darth Maul cameo.

• Light Side Points 2

I haven't listened to the music separate from the movie. I'll report back with my opinions on that later this week.

On 5/26/2018 at 4:29 PM, milestails said:

After the debacle that was The Last Jedi, I must say I enjoyed Solo.

Yup, me too. It was always excites me when most of characters in an act brought-up the story with an amazing rendition; and they did just that with Solo.

I did really-really enjoyed the movie. The best out of last 4 in my opinion.

At the first 30 minutes I was kind of skeptical with the new Solo guy. But later until the rest of the movie, I did enjoy his role as much as he does.

Also, I found Solo the most enjoyable cinema that came out this year. Simply 8.5/10

Edited by ebmar
  • Like 1

Well, had a movie-code to hire from a local streaming service that was about to expire, and with a large list I wasn't willing to browse through, Solo it became. Better than having it go to waste right?

Having said that Solo was criminally mediocre. Atleast unlike TLJ which felt like 5 hours due to the slowest chase ever and Canto Blight Solo felt like it was over in a jiffy. Mostly because nothing actually got any decent time in the movie and things just got catapulted at you. Chars die? It's gone. The train? They get detected after 5 seconds and I doubt it lasted over 5 minutes. Kessel Run? That monster that got hyped literally got beaten in A MINUTE. Why was the Empire even there, it wasn't an Empire ruled planet. Why did if only Kessel had unrefined fuel they had to think about a refinery if apparently the Kessel Run is this well-known thing. Why can't things be logical?

L3-37 is indeed as annoying as Holdo and Rose Tico and yes, I did laugh when she died. Terrible character. Solo didn't learn anything over the movie, he was the same start to finish, no progression, what's that? And all that "You're a good guy" and giving away the coaxium was just cringe. The one time the movie actually took it's time (with Enfys Nest) and it was terrible 😕

I mean, I expected it to be fairly bad, but atleast some people said the action pieces where decent. I can't really agree with how short and akward they were. They really tried to jam tons in this movie and it backfired since it's just flash after flash after flash of stuff just happening... one example is the scene on the Yacht where there's a decent convo, then a mid-sentence pause, then Solo just went on talking about this great job he had planned he had no reason to go on anymore, another pause mid-sentence, Vos comes in, another pause mid-sentence, last part of the scene. Can anyone actually properly finish their conversation before moving on? God.

I can't say I feel I've got much added content seeing all the stuff missing between the trailers. Mostly since it almost feel the trailers did show everything with how short and cramped everything ended up feeling like. Train shot? That's it. Kessel run? That's basically it. Droid rebellion (ugh)? Yup, that's it. Stand-off with Enfys, better left unfinished. I can't believe how much they cramped into this movie and in the end didn't really tell anything at all.

• Like 1

Guest Sam Fisher

Have to say, like J.K Rowling retroactively changing characters years later- as someone that's a part of an unrepresented group; Lando being Pansexual isn't a problem, the fact that there's no indication he is in the film is. 

It comes across as disingenuinous, (but it's not as bad as Bioware's recent characters representing these traits as the only element of their character to bait those demographics) but it's not genuine.

See- 

Blue Grace Marsalis: Alien The Cold Forge, for a character of this nature done well in a franchise with well established themes. It's also a fantastic standalone book.

My GF liked the movie though. She did fell asleep twice watching it last evening so had to watch the rest this morning.

Then again, after watching TFA in the cinema she said it was the best Star Wars movie and she's with me, so she obviously has no taste... but just putting it out there.

Guest Sam Fisher

Honestly? Even TESB is overrated, excellent but Star Wars is put on such an impossibly high pedestal it's not surprising some people don't care for the original entries. Especially considering TFA is essentially a best of mix tape digestable for modern audiences. And that's not an insult to it or modern audiences, it rejuvenated the brand by doing this.