milestails

(SPOILERS) Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

After the debacle that was The Last Jedi, I must say I enjoyed Solo.

Won't give too much away here, but.....

Great performances by Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover.

Learning Chewbacca's age was pretty neat.

Now I know what the Kessel Run is.

L3 was humorous as the "social justice" droid....perhaps a parody of all the recent social justice themes in the recent films?

Cool visuals of space and some classic musical elements returned from previous installments.

The Millenium Falcon really looked a lot different in its newer state.

And of course......Darth Maul? Can anyone explain how he survived being cut in half by Obi-Wan?

4 minutes ago, zbyl2 said:

What was Maul's role in the film?

Cameo.
He's apparently a crime lord Qi'ra worked for throughout the entire movie. Enables sabre for no reason in his hologram and that was it.

Can’t remember what he said. But definitely seems like they’re setting him up to be the bigger bad guy for a Solo trilogy or something.

Maul survives that fall, but comes back in the Clone Wars with robot legs. Shows up in Rebels too. Not sure exactly how that happens.

I was never a huge Han Solo fan, so I don’t think I have the same reverence for Harrison Ford as others do. So I liked the new guy as Han Solo. I think he is a good fit, though he does seem like a different character. I’d rather have that though than someone doing a Harrison Ford impression for the whole movie.

I personally think this is the most consistently good star wars movie at least since disney took over. It started off really good and stayed really good. I don't think it quite hit the high-highs of the other disney star wars movies but it never got close to the low-lows of any of them.

• Like 2

I thought Solo was o.k. Give it maybe . I enjoyed it much more than Last Jedi and Rogue One. I thought the story flowed nicely and the actors were good.

I did not like the Darth Maul twist at all. Leave the cartoon stuff out of the movies!!! I know of the Maul story line but I didn't watch either of the series, too old to watch kiddie shows. I'm sure that left quite a few older moviegoers scratching their heads. Also, enough with the droids with charisma. Annoying.

Just saw it today. I loved it. I think they did Han Solo justice. It's been said that Ron Howard and Alden Ehrenreich worked really hard to capture Han Solo, and I think they did a really good job of it, especially a younger more naïve Han.

The so called sjw stuff didn't ruin anything, I think. Lando's so called pansexuality was nothing more than him being quite fond of L3- kind of reminded me of the rancor keeper crying when the rancor was killed by Luke. L3 was a riot, imo. She did come off as a satire, but, she's no more weird or strange than a lot of other droids who develop personality quirks from not being memory wiped. (I would think that some of the more independent minded droids would have developed their own secret caches to kick in their old memories should they be wiped.)

The story was pretty good, even had an OT feeling to it, which is great.

The only part I didn't care for was Darth Maul's appearance. I'm old school when it comes to Maul. I don't care for any of the retcon stuff. And, please, they didn't make him that half robot monstrosity, did they? I think I saw robotic legs on him. But, that lightsaber flourish? Yeah, that's Maul. Fits his personality. He's showing he's got some serious work ahead of him. Hint, hint, there will be sequels.

15 minutes ago, Ebony Moon said:

Hint, hint, there will be sequels. 

It's bombing so probably not... even if LucasFilm and Disney *should* be painfully obvious to the reasons for it's poor performance.

18 minutes ago, Hassat Hunter said:

It's bombing so probably not... even if LucasFilm and Disney *should* be painfully obvious to the reasons for it's poor performance.

If anything is painfully obvious about its performance, it's the bad taste that The Last Jedi left in fans mouths. Although you do have the large group of fans who simply cannot fathom another person playing their favorite fictional character, but I can relate to that.

It's really too bad because Solo is actually pretty good. It's a good (not great) prequel in the same way that Rogue One is. It doesn't try to be more than an entertaining movie. It's not trying to be a massive reboot that has to be a cultural touchstone (ep 7) and it's not trying to subvert every expectation you have (ep 😎

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VarsityPuppet said:

If anything is painfully obvious about its performance, it's the bad taste that The Last Jedi left in fans mouths. Although you do have the large group of fans who simply cannot fathom another person playing their favorite fictional character, but I can relate to that.

It's really too bad because Solo is actually pretty good. It's a good (not great) prequel in the same way that Rogue One is. It doesn't try to be more than an entertaining movie. It's not trying to be a massive reboot that has to be a cultural touchstone (ep 7) and it's not trying to subvert every expectation you have (ep 😎

It is a shame. This movie doesn't deserve the boycotting, the bad publicity from Kennedy and crew. Episodes 7 and 8, yeah, But not this one.

Ron Howard and Alden Ehrenreich did seem to respect the character of Han Solo and worked to do him justice, which is more than I can say about some of the character development in 7 and 8.

I wonder if Disney is going to treat Maul like Thanos from Avengers. A cameo here a cameo there, overlapping single movies leading up to Maul being a feature villain in a movie.

I don't see a Solo sequel where Han meets Maul. His view of the Force is pretty strong during ANH  in the scene when Luke is training with the remote. I think it would contradict.

We already know Maul's fate from the TV show. It wouldn't make sense to really make him a major part of future movies, unless they're going to remake that scene in the Kenobi movie which is possible, but very short-sighted IMO.

15 minutes ago, newbiemodder said:

I wonder if Disney is going to treat Maul like Thanos from Avengers. A cameo here a cameo there, overlapping single movies leading up to Maul being a feature villain in a movie.

I don't see a Solo sequel where Han meets Maul. His view of the Force is pretty strong during ANH  in the scene when Luke is training with the remote. I think it would contradict.

Kathleen Kennedy is no Kevin Feige. There's no way they're smart enough to do that.

13 hours ago, VarsityPuppet said:

There's a third group (me) that likes TLJ and is definietaly going to see Episode 9, just isn't interested in a Han Solo movie.

Surprisingly, a lot of people I know who were in the same camp watched the movie and said it was perfectly fine, and doesn't fall into the same dumb fan service trap as Rogue One did, so I'll probably catch it when it's out on blu-ray.

10 hours ago, Canderis said:

We already know Maul's fate from the TV show. It wouldn't make sense to really make him a major part of future movies, unless they're going to remake that scene in the Kenobi movie which is possible, but very short-sighted IMO.

I bet he's a villain in Obi-Wan movie that's gonna be announced around the time Boba Fett comes out.

• Like 2

I've also heard of Marvel fatigue. Which I thought I had, but then Avengers was pretty great, so I guess it's more of "average movie that doesn't do anything new or particularly interesting" fatigue?

• Like 1

I assume everyone noticed that Sith Holocron had an appearance in the movie. He sat nicely on a table in evil Vision's trophy room.

Palpatine's lightsaber was next to him too.

And the mando armor that sat prominently in the room.

22 hours ago, Ebony Moon said:

The so called sjw stuff didn't ruin anything, I think. Lando's so called pansexuality was nothing more than him being quite fond of L3- kind of reminded me of the rancor keeper crying when the rancor was killed by Luke.

Rights for droids has always been in SW.

And I agree about lando and L3. Why does close companionship have to mean "they're sexually attracted"? Can't two strangers still be able to be like siblings to each other? This world is so obsessed with sex and who's having it with whom. WHO CARES!

11 hours ago, HK-47 said:

And I agree about lando and L3. Why does close companionship have to mean "they're sexually attracted"? Can't two strangers still be able to be like siblings to each other? This world is so obsessed with sex and who's having it with whom. WHO CARES! 

LucasFilm. After all it's the writer who pushed that then went all "well, sorry I added this to SW. NOT. Suck it, bitches"

And then they wonder why people boycott them.

1 hour ago, Hassat Hunter said:

LucasFilm. After all it's the writer who pushed that then went all "well, sorry I added this to SW. NOT. Suck it, bitches"

And then they wonder why people boycott them.

Source?

Because I know you, and how you like to stir up a little bit of drama now and then ;) 

Here you go.

You should know I never lie...

(I have no idea why it displays Twitter messages so poorly;

https:// twitter.com/JonKasdan/status/997684135933050880

On 5/30/2018 at 4:06 PM, zbyl2 said:

I've also heard of Marvel fatigue. Which I thought I had, but then Avengers was pretty great, so I guess it's more of "average movie that doesn't do anything new or particularly interesting" fatigue? 

Also I forgot to say this before when I wanted to, but pretty much hit the nail on the head there. There is no fatigue since that implies regardless of quality. There's just no interest in low-quality or outright insulting movies here (not to mention the way LucasFilms behaves is unacceptable). Not that you'll ever see the media say that. Heck, I'm still waiting after 6 months and a bomb of a movie to see media actually mention people might have an issue with TLJ or the way LF behaves.

But no, more excuses. AGAIN.

Saw it today. Went into it was very low expectations after feeling mixed on TLJ. Can honestly say I thought it was alright. Not amazing by any stretch, and the first hour bored me somewhat, but everything from Kessel onward I found very enjoyable and easy going. I think the Tie Fighter chase through the Kessel Run was my favourite scene. Any excuse to bring back the "Tie Fighter Attack" score is okay with me.

Weirdly enough, as the movie went on I felt the guy playing Han (I forget his name) grew more into the role, by the end I could actually see him as Han Solo. Donald Glover absolutely NAILED it as Lando, hope we get to see more of him in the role.

As for negatives, not a lot of the humor landed for me. The only scene I found quite funny was Lando's reaction to Qi'ra using one of his capes to put out a fire on the Falcon. I'm not even sure if that was meant to be a funny scene, but it made me chuckle. One or two lines really made me cringe, such as Enfys Nest's unbearably heavy handed foreshadowing about the Rebellion and Han's future role to play in it. I'm interested to see where they go with Maul, I liked the little bit of Duel of the Fates playing over him in his scene. It was cool to see him and for this film and Rogue One to at least acknowledge characters/events from the prequels. I agree that his lightsaber flourish was a little silly, though.

Also, what the HELL was with that god awful title card at the start? Seriously, I'm pretty sure I could open After Effects right now and do something better.

Overall, not bad, but not something I'll be rushing out to see again. But a fairly enjoyable popcorn flick.

6.5/10