Sith Holocron

Korriban Expansion: Modernizing an Older Mod (WIP)

If you don't mind me asking, SH, are you going to use the audio files that were submitted from the people that already got picked for certain roles?  Or will we have to redo the lines?

2 hours ago, DarthVarkor said:

As a fellow Brit, I support this. British Revan all the way :P 

Anyway, as SH mentioned, I've been tasked with creating the cutscene involving Revan delivering her lines. I plan on starting on that today, hopefully. In the mean time, I've been playing around with some filters for Revan's voice. One was following a tutorial for a Revan filter online, and the others based on several Kylo Ren type voice tutorials. Let me know what you guys think!

Filter 1.wav

Filter 2.mp3

Filter 3.mp3

Filter 4.mp3

Edit: After further hearing...

You nailed it with the "Filter 2" "Filter 1" DV! 👏

But, I am going to let you know what I am thinking in regards to every attempt here [keep in mind these are my personal reference, not a matter of good or bad; just which one suits me better]:

1. Filter 1: This would be better suit a Jedi holocron voicing- if I recall correctly. This one is perfect to fill the spot! Filter 1 for the win. The modulator effect works seamlessly. Missed it on my hearing the first time actually. My bad!
  2. Filter 2: This is it! If only you could cut the low-frequencies more so it sounds less "bassy"- this one is a get go!. This one is at the right track, but it seems it lacks the modulating effect which is so "Darth Revan"-ly, I guess.
  3. Filter 3: I'm imagining this would be better suit as a datapad which contain voice recorded information DV.
  4. Filter 4: This is pretty much similar with Filter 2 but- there's this "leaky" noises [like some kind of a boost to "middle-to-high" frequencies I am guessing] which I don't feel it's supposed to be there DV. Maybe, for personal communicator voicing; this definitely a choice.

Hope this feedback is constructive enough for the attempt- good luck! :cheers:

Edited by ebmar
To made notice that the most suitable one would be "Filter 1".
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 5:49 AM, Mellowtron11 said:

If you don't mind me asking, SH, are you going to use the audio files that were submitted from the people that already got picked for certain roles?  Or will we have to redo the lines?

If you're talking about this . . . 

I am curious about something folks.  I received lots of good takes from a number of people for the characters.  I was wondering if anyone would be interested if I released the unused voice lines as a separate pack (with the appropriate lip sync which I'd need assistance with) - so folks could extend the life of the mod by having alternate voices available.  This would solve (for some people) minor issues such as Darth Revan having a British accent instead of an North American one.  (I have a few more non British samples coming.)  Even if I were to do something like this, I'd need to wait for the main updated mod to be finished and I'd want Newbiemodder's permission to proceed. 

. . . then this is my solution to being able to use more of the samples I have already been provided with.  For example, I have a female North American voiced Revan which I'd like to be made available for the game but you can only have one female Revan line in the game at once.  This pack would solve that.  In addition, what if you could have your Revan from this series, or this series, or from The Jedi Masters.  That could be a possibility.  (I've reached out to the Revan from The Jedi Masters but not the others at this time - but that's mainly to do with a side project which I  won't be talking about here as it's a completely separate project cancelled.)  If you are still unclear about this, PM me Mellowtron.

5 hours ago, ebmar said:

Edit: After further hearing...

You nailed it with the "Filter 2" "Filter 1" DV! 👏

But, I am going to let you know what I am thinking in regards to every attempt here [keep in mind these are my personal reference, not a matter of good or bad; just which one suits me better]:

1. Filter 1: This would be better suit a Jedi holocron voicing- if I recall correctly. This one is perfect to fill the spot! Filter 1 for the win. The modulator effect works seamlessly. Missed it on my hearing the first time actually. My bad!
  2. Filter 2: This is it! If only you could cut the low-frequencies more so it sounds less "bassy"- this one is a get go!. This one is at the right track, but it seems it lacks the modulating effect which is so "Darth Revan"-ly, I guess.
  3. Filter 3: I'm imagining this would be better suit as a datapad which contain voice recorded information DV.
  4. Filter 4: This is pretty much similar with Filter 2 but- there's this "leaky" noises [like some kind of a boost to "middle-to-high" frequencies I am guessing] which I don't feel it's supposed to be there DV. Maybe, for personal communicator voicing; this definitely a choice.

Hope this feedback is constructive enough for the attempt- good luck! :cheers:

Thanks! Yeah, filter 1 is my favourite, too. the tutorial I followed for it was based on a filter used on Revan's voice in a fan film on YouTube.

Here it is, everyone. Female Darth Revan reciting the Sith Code:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it's just my laptop's speakers but I'm not a fan of the vocal filter on that. The voice itself sounded really good but there was, in my opinion, too much distortion that made it sound hollow.

4 hours ago, Canderis said:

Maybe it's just my laptop's speakers but I'm not a fan of the vocal filter on that. The voice itself sounded really good but there was, in my opinion, too much distortion that made it sound hollow.

The filter is not set in stone.  Whatever filter we put on male Revan will have to be added to female Revan as well for consistency's sake.

8 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

The filter is not set in stone.  Whatever filter we put on male Revan will have to be added to female Revan as well for consistency's sake.

Yeah, I have the recording still unfiltered, so I can tweak the filter anytime :) 

If anyone has any more suggestions regarding the filter, then I’m all ears!

46 minutes ago, DarthVarkor said:

Yeah, I have the recording still unfiltered, so I can tweak the filter anytime :) 

If anyone has any more suggestions regarding the filter, then I’m all ears!

DV and @Sith Holocron; I don't know if it's legit or no to the mod but- is it possible if you could tune the pitch down a bit so the voice sounds deeper? I kinda feel that "hollowness" to the voice just like @Canderis said but again, this is my personal preference regarding to how the sounds would be :cheers:

Talk about filters with Newbiemodder via PM's if you wish. However, if you don't like the voice, pitch isn't likely to help. (I am not in charge of filters. )

I’ll have a play round with the pitch later and post the results here. It already does have a lower pitch on it, but it’s not very noticeable.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:17 PM, newbiemodder said:

After going through the voice files collected by Sith Holocron, we're going to go with the followong:

Darth Fang: Trayusstudent

Sith Cleric 1: Darth Varkor

Sith Cleric 2: Mellowtron

Grunt: UnusualCharacters

Slave: UnusualCharacters

Ever Arden: Darth Varkor

Revan(male): UnusualCharacters 

I want to thank everyone that has submitted voice samples. They were all really good. There are a lot of talented modders out there. I am humbled that so many of you decided to volunteer your time and talents into upgrading a 7 year old mod. It took me about 3 years to make it. A lot of late hours at the computer after the kids had gone to bed.  I really learned as I went along, trying new things,  trial and error.  Hope you've enjoyed it.

NM.

Personally, I think this is a little scheme by Sith Holocron to relight by modding fire. We'll see. There is some unfinished business out there.

So I've been replaced... eh... whatever... plus Varkor sounds more believable than I do anyway

Plus: I'm more for contributing to the creative side of mods and not the acting side so I'm not upset.

• Sad 1

just recorded footage of the original mod, gonna edit and upload it to youtube when I get out of bed

There has been a great disturbance in the Force....Sith Holocron has apparently left the building.

Apparently, due to reasons I am not totally clear on, Sith Holocron has decided to step away from the DS modding community. This has a big impact on this work thread due to the fact that he was the motiviating force behind it. I was enjoying my modding retirement when SH approached me about this Korriban revival/update. I gave him my blessing and offered any help I could. Many people here have contributed their time and talents to this project as a result of his efforts. So, where does that leave us? Well, the brakes are going to have to be pumped on this project. Things are going to slow down.  I've slowly started to get back into the modding mode albiet on a very limited basis. I'm not going to lie, my renewed interest was reignited by SH's influence. I plan to release an updated version using the new voice files that have been submitted as well as all the patch work that ndix UR has been working on. I also plan to make a couple subtle changes myself. I also plan to release with the updated version a mod I mothballed several years ago...Korriban Expansion 2...a little add-on which introduces additional areas to the story. I have no timeline......so don't ask. Don't expect it anytime soon. Like I said, I've slowly started to get back into the groove. I've forgotten so much and SO many more tools and advamces have been made here in the kotor modding community. I kind of feel like a noob again.

Stay tuned...….

newbiemodder

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, newbiemodder said:

There has been a great disturbance in the Force....Sith Holocron has apparently left the building.

Apparently, due to reasons I am not totally clear on, Sith Holocron has decided to step away from the DS modding community.

So, it is true then... I thought he was just k.. naah. Okay, it is sad to see SH "gone fishin" but, heads up newbiemodder! If you need more hand on voice filtering [or anything should I had the prerequisites to do it]- I'd be glad to assist! :cheers:

Here it is, this was made to showcase a few things about the mod as well as those who are either curious or lazy, lol, about the original voice acting from the mod

also as a love letter to the mod i recreated one of the original screenshots from the mods download page

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mrmann said:

Here it is, this was made to showcase a few things about the mod as well as those who are either curious or lazy, lol, about the original voice acting from the mod

also as a love letter to the mod i recreated one of the original screenshots from the mods download page

Wow. Thank you for sharing this. I haven't yet played TSL so it's obvious that I haven't yet take a feel into the mod too. But after watching this video, I can surely say that the overall ambient of this mod is amazing. It feels like it's already been there, being a major part of the original game, really- from my point of view. Splendid.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, UnusualCharacters said:

With @ndix UR's blessing and @Sith Holocron's recommendation, here is a quick look at Jolee Bindo's new voice over for this upcoming expansion performed by your's truly.

You are insanely talented, man. Great job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Light Side Points 2

18 hours ago, UnusualCharacters said:

With @ndix UR's blessing and @Sith Holocron's recommendation, here is a quick look at Jolee Bindo's new voice over for this upcoming expansion performed by your's truly.

That had to be hard to even vaguely sound like Kevin Michael Richardson but you managed to pull it off

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1