A Future Pilot

K1 Community Patch

12 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

My standard policy is that any time someone asks when something is coming out, I delay it for another 12 months. So thanks for taking the pressure off. See you in 2020.

No need to get so angry. I never asked you about it before so it was enough to just say "its done when its done" if you don't won't to answer and I wouldn't ask again. Your "policy" was not written anywhere I could see either.

I'm just surprised why you wrote that its very close to release if giving time frames is something you hate.

Btw, it is meant to be just a hobby and not a chore. If you feel too much pressure by doing it within a decided timeframe then nothing stops you from extending said timeframe as much as you want. You can even delay it by a decade or  drop it altogether if you want.

Take care.

Edited by Samriel
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Samriel said:

No need to get so angry. I never asked you about it before so it was enough to just say "its done when its done" if you don't won't to answer and I wouldn't ask again. Your "policy" was not written anywhere I could see either.

I'm just surprised why you wrote that its very close to release if giving time frames is something you hate.

Btw, it is meant to be just a hobby and not a chore. If you feel too much pressure by doing it within a decided timeframe then nothing stops you from extending said timeframe as much as you want. You can even delay it by a decade or  drop it altogether if you want.

Take care.

Hey dude? Stop talking. You're only digging the hole deeper.

• Haha 1
  • Light Side Points 1

6 hours ago, Samriel said:

Btw, it is meant to be just a hobby and not a chore.

The hobby is not the chore.  You and other demanding folks are the chore.

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 2

5 hours ago, JDub96 said:

Hey dude? Stop talking. You're only digging the hole deeper.

No worries, I learned my lesson. :(

4 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

The hobby is not the chore.  You and other demanding folks are the chore.

I apologize then if I sounded pushy.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Samriel said:

No worries, I learned my lesson. :(

I apologize then if I sounded pushy.

Here's a lesson I learned the hard way in this community. Quality content means not adhering to deadlines. DP and the crew are working as hard as they can on this project. What they need from us is patience and understanding. All is good man, just keep in mind that the best mods are the ones that aren't rushed. 

25 minutes ago, JDub96 said:

Here's a lesson I learned the hard way in this community. Quality content means not adhering to deadlines. DP and the crew are working as hard as they can on this project. What they need from us is patience and understanding. All is good man, just keep in mind that the best mods are the ones that aren't rushed. 

True, though I knew a few modders who enjoyed when folks let them know that they looked forward to their work as long as they did not ask about a deadline all the time but like...once a year? But it certainly can differ between people and I also knew modders who had their accounts spammed with questions and closed the threads to catch a break.

I agree though that deadlines can end up doing more harm than good and we should be considerate of others people's feelings.

Well, I think DP was only half-serious there.

I think many don't get his sense of humor. Or maybe it is me who gets it when there isn't any.

Long live DP! :cheers:

3 hours ago, JDub96 said:

This. We've seen what happens when a game gets rushed for a deadline. No different for mods.

• Like 1

Looking closely at his question, I understood that he was more asking for a roadmap (knowing more or less where we're at, and where we're going - aka what's the scope of the release and the remaining tickets that needs to be done) than asking (or even "demanding" - come on guys!) for an actual "deadline" to be met by developers (and certainly not asking to "rush" for the release to happen...). Maybe at the most, he asked for a rough time estimate (for which a sentence like "one to three month" would have probably been more than enough for his curiosity, even if it's not accurate in the end).

Having worked for a decade as a software developer and team lead, I find roadmaps to be really valuable tools both to communicate with your customers (or here, fellow community members) and to help with motivation for the developers on their journey through a release (looking back at what has been done already can alleviate frustration, for example - the same when looking at the backlog of tickets shrinking when you get things done). If you only have an infinite backlog and no scope for a release, it can get difficult for everyone to ever "see the end of it".

So if the questions "what's the progress?" (scope) or "when will it be done?" (time estimate) comes too often and irritate developers, maybe a roadmap (using GitHub's "Milestones" or "Project board" for example?) is a way to answer that...

It's about finding ways to achieve clear, transparent communication and expectations. Not about lowering the quality of the releases nor rushing out the developers.

#foodforthoughts #loveyouguys #keeprocking

Edited by gnutix
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, A Future Pilot said:

To everyone eagerly awaiting, version 1.8 has officially been released! You can grab it on the download page. Please let us know if you run into any issues with it!

A huge thanks to @DarthParametric and @JCarter426 for the immense amount of work they put into this release!

Glad to see a source scripts folder, I'm sure that'll come in useful for a modder like me 😀

Have a question about the 1.8 update. I saw these changes mentioned in the changelog:

⦁    Tweaked the script that adds Jolee to the party in the Upper Shadowlands to hide the switch between NPC and Party versions

⦁    Made Jolee and Juhani wear their unique clothing when they first join the party

Do they consequently have the same effect as this mod?

Also, obligatorily, congrats on the release 👍

I think AFP was inspired by Leilukin's mod. It simply swaps their equipped robe for clothes (and puts their robes in the inventory).

The script edit for Jolee joining is unrelated. That one is to hide the fake Jolee visibly fading out as the real one joins the party.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations!

I have personally not the slightest doubt that K1 CP is the best single thing that could have ever happened to Knights of the Old Republic.

A huge, immense thanks to every one involved, especially Darth Parametric who single-handedly took care of the vast majority of the new content in 1.8. 

This version is such a huge step forward that it may as well be released as 2.0.

Cheers! :cheers:

• Light Side Points 1

Oh, I've been meaning to ask: is JC's supermodel fix actually incompatible with the community patch? I remember seeing that somewhere, but I haven't noticed any issues.

No, it's just outside the scope of K1CP. You can see if some of my earlier WIP stuff, like the LS ending cutscene, that I was using JC's TSL robes and there were no issues (beyond any stunt models not having animations for TSL's extra bones).

• Like 1

By "ouside the scope" we mean "difficult to troubleshoot so I don't want to have to release updates in more than one place" and "would be overridden in favor of cloaked robes and dancer outfits by the vast majority of users anyway".

On 8/9/2019 at 2:11 PM, DarthParametric said:

Gave the comm_a_f/comm_a_f2/N_TatComW_F heads a makeover to fix the worst of their shading/clipping/texture issues

It seems there is a problem with at least the comm_a_f head model. The issue is more prominent under certain light conditions and is affecting the corners of the mouth.

Since a picture tells more than 1000 words...

comm_a_f.jpg.07f41985b6740b9aa059c9f38b53f417.jpg

Looking at the model, looks like the smoothing group assignment is pretty ropey. Try this and see whether it is better or worse.

Edit: The N_TatComW_F head also has a Joker smile baked into the texture, which is a bit disconcerting. I tried an AI upscale of the textures and painted out the extended mouth corners on that one.

Edit 2: Based on some further feedback from @ebmar, I made additional adjustments to the UVs and texture for N_TatComW_F.

K1_Commoner_Female_Head_Fixes_Revised.7z

• Like 1