TK-664

MOD:Weapon Base Stats Re-balance (K1)

Weapon Base Stats Re-balance (K1)

In KotOR 1 there is an obvious balancing issue concerning weapons that is especially noticeable in the early game, ie: Taris. What is it? Ranged Weapons are utterly outclassed by melee weapons. Yes, i know a stun stick isn't more powerful than a heavy repeater but I'm addressing the general problem here - In almost all situations you'll be better off charging at an enemy using your vibroblade instead of firing a blaster rifle, even when it seems like using a blaster would be the best option. The developers at Obsidian noticed this and in KotOR 2 blasters are now a viable option as well.

So this mod changes the base stats of ranged weapons (damage, criticals etc.) to be like the ones on K2. But that's not all - I've also modified the lightsabers as well. Basically, ranged weapons and lightsabers will be statistically equal to their K2 counterparts; except for some weaponry damage values that i've kept unaltered purposely - It doesn't make sense that, for example, a disruptor and an ion pistol would do the same damage against an organic target.

So following that:

Blaster Pistols now do 1-8 damage instead of 1-6; Disruptors' critical threat range is now 18-20x2 instead of 20-20x2; Ion blasters' critical multiplier is now x3 instead of x2; Regular lightsabers now deal 2-20 damage instead of 2-16 etc...

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    04/11/2018
  • Category
  • K1R Compatible
    Yes

Hey!  Having trouble opening this.  Both 7zip and Winrar return the message: "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged."  Any chance you could re-upload?

He just tested it this morning and it worked fine for him.  I have also tested it and I opened it fine with 7z.  Either your 7z is woefully out of date or it's corrupted.

Hey!  Having trouble opening this.  Both 7zip and Winrar return the message: "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged."  Any chance you could re-upload?

I pm'd you a link that might work for you.

Updated the mod but I'm still a tad undecided on the values for the heavy repeater types... ended up settling for 3-15 over 2-14. These are all minor changes however, as we all know that what really upped the blaster's game in K2 was the introduction of various useful upgrades for a lot of available weapons.

EDIT: New update for the mod, opted for other values.

Edited by TK-664
grammar, updates
  • Like 1

So as it would appear, disruptors were bugged(?) and didn't perform their job properly in combat. Previously they dealt all the physical dmg types simultaneously (Slashing,Piercing,Bludgeoning) which made them even weaker than if it were just one single type. Using them was completely counter-intuitive too since they're not supposed to be countered by shields.

As it stands they can no longer be blocked by mandalorian melee shields since they deal universal damage now. Could've been acid type too, i don't think either of those is resisted by anything that exists in the game, though it would be more awkward infering that a disruptor rifle shoots acid 😐

I also am experiencing a bad archive problem that is preventing the use of this mod. Reddit said it's essential, so I'm hopeful there is a non corrupted version available.

Old version of 7zip... shwoops!

Edited by DrThePunisher
fixed problem

Saul Karath's pistol is obviously a module npc-only weapon that drops by mistake (much like The One's vibroswords and Darth Bandon's saber), it's a beefed up version of g_w_hldoblstr003 with all the labels being the same and the price too. I was considering re-purposing it into the game's best utility pistol as to leave Fett's blaster as the best raw power pistol, but I ultimately left it alone because I doubt anyone was even aware it was an exploit, and so it's an appreciated little oversight that's been here ever since kotor's release. At this point it changing it would be almost blasphemy!

The executable does not appear to be correct, it does not show up automatically with the TSLPatcher icon and says that my computer cannot run the program.  I tried swapping out a TLSPatcher.exe from a different mod (keeping your tslpatchdata etc.) and it would run, but gave an error, here is the log:

• Installation started 12/27/2021 10:02:40 AM...
 • Installing unmodified files...
 • Copying file g_w_hldoblstr01.uti to the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_hldoblstr02.uti to the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_hldoblstr03.uti to the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_hldoblstr04.uti to the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_dsrptrfl002.uti to the Override folder...
 • Replacing file g1_w_dsrptrfl001.uti in the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_stunbaton02.uti to the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_stunbaton03.uti to the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_stunbaton04.uti to the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_hvrptbltr01.uti to the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_hvrptbltr002.uti to the Override folder...
 • Copying file g_w_hvrptbltr02.uti to the Override folder...
 • Modifying file "baseitems.2da" found in Override folder...
 • Saving unaltered backup copy of baseitems.2da in C:\Users\pc\OneDrive\Desktop\Games\KotOR Mod Files\092-Weapon Stats Rebalance\Weapon Base Stats Re-balance K1\backup\baseitems.2da
 • Updated 2DA file C:\KotOR\Star Wars - KotOR\override\baseitems.2da.
 • Modifying GFF format files...
 • Modifying file "g_w_hvrptbltr01.uti" found in Override folder...
 • Error: Invalid file version. Loaded file is not in GFF V3.2 format! (GFF-1)

36 minutes ago, jpbulloch said:

The executable does not appear to be correct, it does not show up automatically with the TSLPatcher icon and says that my computer cannot run the program.

I checked, it's just a renamed copy of the TSLPatcher exe. Any screwiness seems to be on your end.

On 12/27/2021 at 5:19 PM, jpbulloch said:

• Error: Invalid file version. Loaded file is not in GFF V3.2 format! (GFF-1)

If I'm not misremembering I've seen this error reported on another thread before, it throws when the modder mistakenly puts .2das or something else into the gff list in the tslpatcher of course. This isn't the case here, it looks to be on your end only which makes it harder to troubleshoot. Sorry for not being of any help.

It appears that my issue was with the rar extraction application I was using.  When using a different archive software I did not get this issue.

Hey, could you make me a version of the same mod but one that doesnt alter any melee or lightsaber weapons at all? I like the changes to ranged weapons but i'd prefer to have unbuffed lightsabers and other melee weapons. Much appreciation for the work you put into these mods :)