kraut

crashes

The bug tracker link is broken, so I will post my bug here. Having many random crash issues. Sometimes it will crash upon starting, other times it will crash during gameplay. ESPECIALLY when a cutscene is supposed to happen. Haven't gotten through Peragus yet This is completely new since downloading the 1.6a version, and I have never had this issue before. Am I the only person? Thank you.

Mine has been pretty stable. Could you post your OS? I know that KOTOR 1 & 2 can be a little temper-mental on the newer operating systems.

Guest staticjoe66

Agreed wolfsite with KOTOR I being especially temperamental to newer vid cards and their drivers even with RivaTuner installed...which is why my gaming box is 32-bit XP Pro ;)

kraut if you're running Vista over on the Filefront site there's a TSL patch for Vista and if you poke around the FF forums there's at least one thread regarding Windows 7 if you're running that OS

Mine has been pretty stable. Could you post your OS? I know that KOTOR 1 & 2 can be a little temper-mental on the newer operating systems.

It's vista and I already have the patch for it. This is new to the 1.6a edition. Never had it with the 1.5. I recently updated my nVidia drivers, might that be the culprit? If so, I have no clue how to undo the update.

Guest staticjoe66

My vid card is a 7800GTS (AGP) and I think I'm using the 190.38 drivers because those were the latest drivers known supported in RivaTurner--in any case over the weekend I put in almost 17 hours of gameplay without any game issues nor did I reboot my pc. Over the last 6 weeks I've put in well over 100 hours of TSL playtime and rebooted my pc twice at the most with the TSLRCM 1.6/1.6a patch installed.

With KOTOR and TSL being older games sometimes going with an older VC driver does work better but that all depends on what else you have installed on your box--if you have newer games installed as well reverting to an older driver will probably negatively affect those games

It's vista and I already have the patch for it. This is new to the 1.6a edition. Never had it with the 1.5. I recently updated my nVidia drivers, might that be the culprit? If so, I have no clue how to undo the update.

Guest DH-010

This 'Vista Patch' is essentially the 'mss32.dll' and 'binkw32.dll' files taken from KOTOR 1.

For some reason, these KOTOR 1 files are more stable on Vista than it's KOTOR 2 counterparts. If you have KOTOR 1, you can use these files on KOTOR 2 (replace the KOTOR 2 ones) to quickly fix KOTOR 2. This usually works, unless you're having bad luck with your videocard.

Personally I've found that KOTOR 2 no longer has any strange problems on Windows 7, if installed with administrator rights, even without any fixes...

Guest staticjoe66

DH-010, what version of W7? x86 or x64?

This 'Vista Patch' is essentially the 'mss32.dll' and 'binkw32.dll' files taken from KOTOR 1.

For some reason, these KOTOR 1 files are more stable on Vista than it's KOTOR 2 counterparts. If you have KOTOR 1, you can use these files on KOTOR 2 (replace the KOTOR 2 ones) to quickly fix KOTOR 2. This usually works, unless you're having bad luck with your videocard.

Personally I've found that KOTOR 2 no longer has any strange problems on Windows 7, if installed with administrator rights, even without any fixes...

The filefront patch never had the "binkw32.dll" file in the folder. If I have the KOTOR 1 "Best Of PC" version can I still use that file from it and have the same results?

Guest DH-010
DH-010, what version of W7? x86 or x64?

I have the x86... But I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or not, though :).

The filefront patch never had the "binkw32.dll" file in the folder. If I have the KOTOR 1 "Best Of PC" version can I still use that file from it and have the same results?

Then it appears it is the 'Mss32.dll' that should do the trick, although it doesn't hurt to try the other one to...

The two .dll's control the sound and (bik) movies in-game, however I'm not nearly smart enough to know what they do and how they do it, but something got messed up in KOTOR 2 that's for sure...

I think the 'Best of PC' version is identical to the original KOTOR 1, so I guess that file also works... Don't know for sure though, I only have the original. But if you already tried the .dll-file from the 'Vista-Patch', there's little point in trying the one from 'your' KOTOR 1 since they are the same.

Edited by DH-010

It appears that replacing both files with their kotor 1 equivalents has done the job. Thank you both for the advice :)

Guest staticjoe66

Ah ha ok--W7 is basically Vista 2.0 in either flavor, 32 or 64...and if I'm not mistaken, weren't the SWBoPC games updated to support Vista...??

I have the x86... But I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or not, though :).

Then it appears it is the 'Mss32.dll' that should do the trick, although it doesn't hurt to try the other one to...

The two .dll's control the sound and (bik) movies in-game, however I'm not nearly smart enough to know what they do and how they do it, but something got messed up in KOTOR 2 that's for sure...

I think the 'Best of PC' version is identical to the original KOTOR 1, so I guess that file also works... Don't know for sure though, I only have the original. But if you already tried the .dll-file from the 'Vista-Patch', there's little point in trying the one KOTOR 1 since they are the same.

Guest staticjoe66

I have the same problem though--after about an hour or so of playtime my display becomes all distorted and it's only a matter of a few minutes before the game becomes unplayable so I have to save my progress and reboot my pc and this is playing with the original 4 disks and not the BoPC edition

Well, I still have random crashes with Kotor 1, so I don't think so.

So I think it is safe to say that though they may have tried to make it work with vista they failed miserably, or they didn't update it.

Guest DH-010
I have the same problem though--after about an hour or so of playtime my display becomes all distorted (..)

What do you mean? Are you getting all kinds of wierd colors? If that is the case (which I have with a ton of old games), it usually works to 'alt-tab' out of the game and 'alt-tab' back in.

So I think it is safe to say that though they may have tried to make it work with vista they failed miserably, or they didn't update it.

The Best of PC was released in 2006, therefore it's system requirements are Windows 2000. Vista was released in '07 if I'm not mistaken. Besides, if I remember correctly, only Microsoft games had a 'Windows Vista Game' stamp on the box at the time...

So no, I don't think they tried to update the five games sadly enough...

Edited by DH-010

I think the new "direct download" versions might have been though. But frankly I don't want to pay for a non-hard copy of it.

Guest staticjoe66

Yep, the video wigs out so I reboot then everything is fine for a little while then lather, rinse, repeat. I've even gone back to a 94.xx video driver with no RivaTuner and it does the same thing so I just live with it chalking it up to the known video issues with the game

What do you mean? Are you getting all kinds of wierd colors? If that is the case (which I have with a ton of old games), it usually works to 'alt-tab' out of the game and 'alt-tab' back in.

The Best of PC was released in 2006, therefore it's system requirements are Windows 2000. Vista was released in '07 if I'm not mistaken. Besides, if I remember correctly, only Microsoft games had a 'Windows Vista Game' stamp on the box at the time...

So no, I don't think they tried to update the five games sadly enough...