Sith Holocron

Remaking the Loading Screens

Which skybox replacement do you prefer for Dantooine?  

12 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which skybox replacement do you prefer for Dantooine?

• More Vibrant Skies 1.0 by Malkior
    • K2 Exterior Textures, Part 1 by Vurt

The problem is the floor isn't flat. There are various plates/panels and so forth stacked on top of the base floor. The walkmesh is flat, because adding small rises in it would cause all sorts of problems with pathing and getting stuck. So the end result is that feet clip through anything higher than the walkmesh. It's not super practical to solve without remodelling half the game (it's not a problem restricted to the Hawk).

The new pic looks fine.

Edit: And re: the GIT, that's the primary (along with the IFO and ARE) file that defines the content in a module. It's where you define where all the creatures are in the module (which is how you have a bunch of enemies but only 2 generic enemy UTCs), where all the placeables are, where all the cameras are, where all the doors are, etc. I'm sure there's a module tutorial lurking somewhere in Lucasforums' dead husk that holds the answers you seek.

• Like 1

The new pic looks fine.

Edit: And re: the GIT, that's the primary (along with the IFO and ARE) file that defines the content in a module. It's where you define where all the creatures are in the module (which is how you have a bunch of enemies but only 2 generic enemy UTCs), where all the placeables are, where all the cameras are, where all the doors are, etc. I'm sure there's a module tutorial lurking somewhere in Lucasforums' dead husk that holds the answers you seek.

Good to know. I'll move on to a new loading screen.  I'll keep that info in my head.  I haven't really dived into that dead husk (LF) so I'll probably need a few pointers but I'll leave those questions for elsewhere.

Hey folks: I want to turn two of my party members in KSE into droids for a loading screen on Peragus?  Any of you happen to know what the name of this droid is?  

H7plib3.png

Because it's not on my cheat sheet.

K2bzEkA.png

I never included the Peragus droids in that image because I didn't intend on replacing them.

The spider mining droid is C_MK1_Drd which is covered by appearances Droid_Mining_Mark_One_A, Droid_Mining_Mark_One_B, and Droid_Mining_Mark_One_C.

The bipedal mining droid is C_MK2_Drd which is covered by appearances Droid_Mining_Mark_Two_A, Droid_Mining_Mark_Two_B, and Droid_Mining_Mark_Two_C.

• Like 1

Once again, thank you very much!

Update: Trying to take screenshots on the bridge of the Harbinger but I am encountering what appears to be some sort of filter in my first-person view - like I'm looking through filthy glass? I think it might have to do with reflections but I can't be sure. Any suggestions?

Update 2: It seems that I solved the problem by adding the following files from Kexikus' TSL Backdrop Improvements 1.4; 151har.lyt, 151har.vis, 151HARs.mdl, and 151HARs.mdx.

Besides M4-78 EP (waiting to hear from Zybl or HH on suggestions), I am wondering if there are any other loading screens I should be doing for my Loading Screen project. Besides the main game and the aforementioned mods, are there any I'm missing from other mods?  (For example, does the Coruscant Jedi Temple one have one included?)

There are modules that are missing loadscreens, or don't have unique ones, like 001EBO and 004EBO, which you've done. Some others that come to mind are 205TEL and 950COR. As far as mods, go, it would also be nice to have custom loadscreens for modules that replace prerendered cutscenes, like Sion's introduction, Visas' introduction, the Nihilus and Tobin scene, and Kreia's fall... but that depends on whether they were given unique modules and I don't recall if they all are. Sion's is 154HAR and I believe Kreia's is 907MAL, but I think the others are both 853NIH. There's also the Telos shuttle, if that was given its own module.

• Like 1

Let's discuss each of these . . . and I'll note that I'm open to suggestions. As I can't break the camera for the cutscenes, I'll have to pick the best shot with what's in them.

154HAR - That's when Sion breaks out of the kolto tube, right? Probably showing him breaking out would be the way to go as just seeing a hologram doesn't seem to provide the most impact.

205TEL - Is that the cutscene where Admiral Onasi speaks with Grenn when the Ebon Hawk leaves the station for the first time? If that's the case, I think using this mod would probably be a must.

853NIH - Showing Nihilus on the bridge behind his back would work for both. Using this mod for Nihilus and this one for the stars.  (I always use those now.)

907MAL - There are two ways I think I could go with "Kreia's Fall"

a) replicate this angle with a new capture?

mnEbaIT.png

B) Or a close of shot of Kreia - but do I show the eyes?

tKsAA61.png

I don't know if the shuttle has its own loading screen but maybe someone else might know?

Update (and this part's not a reply to JCarter426):

The point of this mod is to replicate the original loading screens as closely as possible. Although some mods might be used - like I've already done with skyboxes on the Nar Shaddaa loading screens that I've already released - the point is to get as close to the location and angle of the original screens. In my opinion, loading screens should focus on the area that you're going to and not on the plot elements. I'd also want to avoid spoilers as well.

Adding NPCs to loading screens where they don't currently exist is something I want to do with the loading screens and let me explain my reasoning. There are so many mods out there that change the look of - well, almost everything. Let's take the HK-50's as example. There's a bunch of HK-50 skins out there and DarthParametric's mod even changes the model so that would be too many alternates to consider.

I tend to aim my read-me files at a novice user level. My mod will only consist of TGA's. That's for ease of use by the end user. By doing so, both the installation and the uninstall (full or partial) will be the easiest. There will be a list in the read-me of what each TGA is supposed to be so it's easy for someone to refer to the list and then remove any TGA that they don't particularly like. The mod won't rework anything else so I won't be utilizing UTCs or the like. (The fact that I don't know how to do that stuff is also a deciding factor. That . . . and mod compatibility.)

154HAR - That's when Sion breaks out of the kolto tube, right?

Nah, 154 is the cutscene of him meditating on the bridge when the Harbinger arrives at Peragus.

205TEL - Is that the cutscene where Admiral Onasi speaks with Grenn when the Ebon Hawk leaves the station for the first time?

That is correct.

EDIT: Whoops, I did... not read that properly. It's the cutscene with Admiral Onasi speaking to the player. After the battle.

853NIH - Showing Nihilus on the bridge behind his back would work for both.

I suppose that would work.

907MAL - There are two ways I think I could go with "Kreia's Fall"

Hmm, I'd go for the overhead shot. It's the first time we see evil Kreia, so I'd avoid revealing her in the loadscreen.

• Like 1

Nah, 154 is the cutscene of him meditating on the bridge when the Harbinger arrives at Peragus.

Do I show him from the front like this (but with the traditional skin and model) . . .

vmKUlVd.png

. . . or from the back? From the back, might better for two reasons. Novice players that haven't met him yet will not have the character first appearance totally spoiled. Plus having him from the back and from a bit of a distance might mean that folks using this mod won't have a problem with difference between loading screen appearance and in game appearance.

Hmm, I'd go for the overhead shot. It's the first time we see evil Kreia, so I'd avoid revealing her in the loadscreen.

That goes in line with what I mentioned in my update to my last post.

Just thought of something . . . what should I do for the Swoop loading screen?  Because how it currently stands in the game, this is awful.

CbU0ypI.jpg

There's also the matter of the other swoop loading screens as well . . . 

The swoop screens might need to be composites so you can do the motion blur and such (assuming you want to). You could do the whole thing outside the game in Max, etc., or you could try warping into the swoop levels and using the GLIntercept camera to get the base shot, then comp the swoop in over the top in PS/Gimp.

Maybe I will skip the swoop ones. However if anyone else wants to contribute a picture like DP suggests, send me a screenshot sized at 2048 by 1152 without JC's overlay.

Then again, I might be able to do something with it.  (This might be tough to time.)

yQ1XD6i.jpg

Update:

rIdoUmM.png

Hmmm . . . not still not getting it. I'll work on try to get the background shots and then work on the loading screens.

Update 2:

Just noticed that the loading screen uses the wrong swoop model for the official loading screen. Do I use what you drive that's in the game (the pictures above in this post) or use the model seen in the official loading screen (as seen below)?

Vhsnh4y.png

Seeking input . . . what are the best skyboxes to use for the Telos IV planet surface. I am including the Polar Plateau in this question as well.

Update:

I've decided to use Malkior's More Vibrant Skies for the Telos surface skyboxes.  (I will say that N-DReW25 did suggest it after I made the loading screens but he didn't know I had done so.)

Update 2:

Out of my chronological order, but here's 907 MAL - which is the loading screen for a TSLRCM Malachor V cutscene.

wkgaqB6.png

Great work so far!

I'd use the ingame swoop model for consistency.

And to answer an older question: Yes, the Coruscant mod has loading screens. Three IIRC and at least one of them is a matte painting from episode 3 and not a shot from the game, so replacing those would be really great.

Kexikus, could you be a pal and forward those loading screens to me? I will install that mod eventually but it would help knowing what I am in for in advance of that time.

I agree about the potential benefit of replacing the Coruscant loading screens (there are 3). They were out of place enough in a modern install that I made (fairly poor) replacements myself (for personal use). One is the EP3 Coruscant cityscape, the other is a Jedi Temple external shot against the Coruscant skybox it used, and the third was an interior hall of fountains shot.

Not sure how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, but Azgath N'Dul's Tomb also contains two load screens, load_712KOR and load_713KOR. I *think* they were in-game locales, but it's been awhile.

Hey folks - just a small update.

This mod will be split into two parts:
1. The Base game (and TSLRCM)
2. Additional mods' support pack

The second is an add-on pack which will cover mods that add areas with loading screens to the game including: M4-78 EP, Curse of the Sith, Azgath N'Dul's Tomb, Newbiemodder's Korriban Expansion, and the Coruscant Jedi Temple.

Here's the artwork from the Curse of the Sith loading screen without the horizontal filter.

YGxwvox.png

• Like 2

Oh . . . and Telos is done now too. Here's part of the HK Factory without the filter applied.

rIJ8ZeB.png

This next picture present an interesting issue . . . a loading screen that I can't use at present.

The 205TEL mod has the cutscene where the Exile meets Admiral Onasi. However, in the game it reuses a standard Telos loading screen. (It doesn't have it's own loading screen.) So this won't be included but I thought I'd show it to you all anyway.

Rn4dk7f.png

I would have used sELFiNDUCEDcOMA's textures for Dxun's Sith Tomb but they haven't been released yet.  However - by using sELFiNDUCEDcOMA's picture from his WIP thread - this gives an idea of how it would have looked.

YMoTiJS.png

But since his textures aren't available, I decided to use the regular textures but use GLIntercept to move up to pool while "the Sith ritual" was still going on.

2sWINz3.png

The 205TEL mod has the cutscene where the Exile meets Admiral Onasi. However, in the game it reuses a standard Telos loading screen. (It doesn't have it's own loading screen.) So this won't be included but I thought I'd show it to you all anyway.

Oh, so you're not doing any 2DA editing. Huh, this is... strange. I would think 154, 853, 907, and 950 might be in trouble too, but they actually do have custom loadscreens. Just not 205. There's a line for it, but it has 204's data. Maybe it was a typo.

Progress looks good, in any case. :D

• Like 1

It requires editing loadscreens.2da, which is what JC was referring to.

Including that shouldn't be a problem, I think.

Update: I've just created a new one that should cover both the main game and all of the optional mods as well.