If the runes on the maps have to be changed, does that means you'll be changing the Aurebesh in the Star Map's projections too?

23 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

If the runes on the maps have to be changed, does that means you'll be changing the Aurebesh in the Star Map's projections too?

Yeppers.

12 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Looks a bit blotchy. Procedural? Is it meant to be metal or stone? I think it needs some edge wear. And the edges themselves could really do with a bevel.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Blotchy in regards to the "grungy" texture? As far as metal vs. stone, I'm kind of trying to bridge that. I guess original model is stone, but there seems to be metal pieces to it. Yeah, the edges look garbage in game. They have a slight bevel in the model, but it doesn't seem to carry over no matter how I export it. I might need to do that in max.

Everything tends to turn to mush in Odyssey, so fine details don't really work well. You're going to have to supersize that sucker, a nice fat inch wide bevel. If you go with metal that will allow you to do some bare metal edge wear and use an envmap to get some edge highlights.

38 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Everything tends to turn to mush in Odyssey, so fine details don't really work well. You're going to have to supersize that sucker, a nice fat inch wide bevel. If you go with metal that will allow you to do some bare metal edge wear and use an envmap to get some edge highlights.

Along the lines of envmaps, I was also considering throwing a bump map on it. Kind of give a corroded or broken effect in some areas.

Normal maps tend to be pretty anaemic so I'd probably lean towards actual geometry as much as possible. At least for the large details anyway. For example, if you want a crack, model in an actual cavity/split.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:42 AM, DarthParametric said:

Normal maps tend to be pretty anaemic so I'd probably lean towards actual geometry as much as possible. At least for the large details anyway. For example, if you want a crack, model in an actual cavity/split.

Added in some beveling here and there. Model looks a lot better, but maaaaaaan these UV maps need some work now, hahaha.

On 2/12/2021 at 10:04 AM, DarthParametric said:

It's not real modelling unless you remake the mesh and redo the UVs at least half a dozen times.

BEVELS

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.19.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.19.48 PM.png

• Like 1

Hello and thanks for updating us on your progress.

My opinion: I would remove the Rakatan symbol. There are already so many symbols and there is no particular need for additional ones.

Keep up the excellent work.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, Salk said:

Hello and thanks for updating us on your progress.

My opinion: I would remove the Rakatan symbol. There are already so many symbols and there is no particular need for additional ones.

Keep up the excellent work.

Yeah, good point. And thanks!

Also more stuff:

147012175_ScreenShot2021-02-22at11_16_46AM.thumb.png.caa8a58b03eedd292c6d92a710fc2b55.png1240787016_ScreenShot2021-02-22at11_16_28AM.thumb.png.4fd40826f91809fe793c5bfc9d55632d.png262424686_ScreenShot2021-02-22at11_17_14AM.thumb.png.e1bb0df11abd48213b41efb896ac4fc3.png

• Like 2

I love the "grungy" texture! I don't mind the Rakatan symbol, but it might be cleaner without it. Love the glowing letters, I was skeptical earlier on but they look great.

On 2/20/2021 at 12:46 AM, CarthOnasty said:

Here's a new shot of the geometry, textured up.

Diggin' the new light panel at the base -- looks great!

On 2/23/2021 at 12:22 AM, CarthOnasty said:

Also more stuff:

Curious with what's happening in the last picture -- where there's light sneaking from the inside... something's going on there, hahah. Edit: late to noticed that it's in your earlier screenshot posted here -- fancy!

Edited by ebmar

12 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

@CarthOnasty Where's the goofy part?

Me trying to remember Blender commands!

9 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

I think the central base piece could use more subdivisions. It's not running on a circa-2000 pocket calculator any more, you can budget more than a handful of tris for it.

Honestly, the most difficult part is deciding what to do. The base is very bland I agree, I've been thinking about baking some things in there as well.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

I think the addition of the extra "feet" is good enough. You don't want it getting too noisy. It's not exactly the focus of attention anyway.

It's got this area on the bottom too that will have some lights or something.

Initial UV map. Likely to change as things go along, but it's a start!

plc_starmap_00.png

Throwing around some orb ideas. There's a scaled down version of the starburst within the center of this thing, so I wanted to somehow show that. So far proof-of-concept works, so I'll throw a few more polys on here, maybe a .txi parameter of some sort of roll with it.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 9.11.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 9.13.14 AM.png