Dantooine - Silver

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djh269 said:

Manaan - Blue

Kashyyk - Green

Korriban - Red

Tatooine - Yellow

Dantooine - Silver

Nearly exactly what I was thinking. I was going to use a saber color for each, so for Tat I was thinking yellow or orange. And then Dan, possibly purple, but I like the idea of silver...

• Like 1

Orange is a great shout for Tatooine!

And purple's a great colour it'd stand out in the ruins :D

4 hours ago, CarthOnasty said:

Close as I could get before it triggered.

Might I suggest using GLIntercept if you wish to get closer without triggering in the future?

Been a hot minute, but I have been working on this. I've mostly been working on the feet, so hoping to have something soon. Here's what the base texture is looking like at least.

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 9.49.39 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CarthOnasty said:

Been a hot minute, but I have been working on this. I've mostly been working on the feet, so hoping to have something soon. Here's what the base texture is looking like at least.

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 9.49.39 PM.png

a-ma-zing progress so far. I wonder if you would finally release not only HQ but MQ (middle-quality) textures of this aswell, running this myself still on a "half-end" rig, you know .... 

AHA! I knew the Selkath had a Star Map in Ahto City! Darn Force visions... making me go to the ocean floor... risking going crazy... almost get eaten by a shark... <trails off mumbling>.

My these look good.

• Haha 2

Glad to see you're working on this again ;) version 1 was a massive improvement over the stock star maps. A new model would be neat, but I think the low-poly floating ball thing is the only bit that's really in need of improvement.

On 10/20/2020 at 4:23 AM, DarthParametric said:

Is now a good time to suggest scrapping the original model and making a completely new one?

How dare you. What were you thinking? Just a rebuilt model in general or redesigning the structure itself?

16 hours ago, KnifeMaster said:

Glad to see you're working on this again ;) version 1 was a massive improvement over the stock star maps. A new model would be neat, but I think the low-poly floating ball thing is the only bit that's really in need of improvement.

Thanks :) And YES, that damn ball. Working on figuring out what to do with it actually. I really despise it.

• Like 1

Mostly joking, but it's not exactly a high poly object. If you are going to replace the ball, might as well replace the arms and base while you are at it. I don't think it needs anything crazy, but some simple bevelled edges probably wouldn't go astray.

For the ball itself, you could maybe do something like a "cage" type object. An open polyhedral shape.

3 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

For the ball itself, you could maybe do something like a "cage" type object. An open polyhedral shape.

I was original playing around with punchthru back in v1 to try to get that effect actually. UVs needed work, but certainly possible now.

I wouldn't recommend using transparency. Save yourself the grief and just use geometry. I was thinking something along these lines:

Ball_Open_Polyhedral.thumb.jpg.fb1031c0e35f9e5bf4b825a03e1e5c14.jpg

That's just shy of 1,600 tris. Since it wouldn't need a fancy texture, the UVs wouldn't need to be complex and could be just stuffed into a free corner of the map.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:38 AM, DarthParametric said:

Mostly joking, but it's not exactly a high poly object. If you are going to replace the ball, might as well replace the arms and base while you are at it. I don't think it needs anything crazy, but some simple bevelled edges probably wouldn't go astray.

So I've been thinking about this idea more and more. What do you think is easiest, building a new model? Or using what's already there and manipulating the structure of that?