Sign in to follow this  
VarsityPuppet

Game of Thrones ShowRunners to produce Star Wars Trilogy

Okay so this just filled me with a huge boost of confidence.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-makers-of-game-of-thrones-are-writing-and-producing-1822774890

They must really be scrambling for nerd-cred after the reaction to The Last Jedi and their supposed lack of confidence in the Han Solo movie.

If they were ever to touch Knights of the Old Republic, these are the guys I would want doing it.

If you're still not excited, then at least enjoy this youtube clip

Also, there are more of these, but be careful which ones you look at, because they are spoilery

• Like 3

Well, maybe this is history repeating.

Circa 2003, mainline films are awful.

KOTOR is good.

Circa 2023, Rian Johnson films are awful.

KOTOR is good.

I'm sure the Rian Johnson films, if they're written by him will be more worthless than the prequels though, at least the prequels had the creators stamp.

It's certainly an interesting idea, Game of Thrones is a fantastic show. With that said, I feel their style might be better suited to a TV show, a show running a couple of seasons depicting Revan & Malak joining the Mandalorian Wars and becoming Sith on a budget like GoT would be awesome. Still, definitely curious to see how it turns out. 

• Like 2

This will sound harsh but since the tv show has passed the books. The quality of the writing has gone down hill. They arent bad writers but judging from the last two seasons of g.o.t. im not too sure they are the best candidates for the job. Im sure they will do much better than rj though

How are they going to hold back the excessive elements though? I'm not sure the world is ready for an NC-17 Star Wars yet.

(That said, as an adult, I don't mind that kind of stuff and it could make for some very interesting takes on existing Star Wars themes.)

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 7:10 PM, Malkior said:

How are they going to hold back the excessive elements though? I'm not sure the world is ready for an NC-17 Star Wars yet.

Probably would have had if they didn't re-shoot Rogue One 😕

And I don't really have a strong opinion. It sounds good, but the last Disney wave leaves me with Star Wars fatigue, making me rather apathetic towards any new Star Wars movies. I rather look forward to EA losing the license and maybe we can actual get some good games again for a change.

• Like 2

at least the prequels had the creators stamp.

Lol how is that a good thing.

For real, that's the dumbest thing I keep seeing people say. They were garbage, who cares who worked on them.

For real, that's the dumbest thing I keep seeing people say. They were garbage, who cares who worked on them.

Because they at the very least showed us new locales and added dimensions to the universe, despite how badly made they were.

TLJ is worse than anything GL could've done. 

On 2/7/2018 at 11:09 AM, LucyTheAlien said:

Because they at the very least showed us new locales and added dimensions to the universe,

Open with that next time and I'm not even gonna bother replying. But "it's good because Lucas" is just idiotic

(also you're wrong, even Rogue One didn't reach the prequels' level of incompetence when it comes to most basic movie making)

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 7:06 PM, Haveayap said:

This will sound harsh but since the tv show has passed the books. The quality of the writing has gone down hill. They arent bad writers but judging from the last two seasons of g.o.t. im not too sure they are the best candidates for the job. Im sure they will do much better than rj though

You're right the writing has gone down in the past few seasons, but it's still pretty great. I'd still take Game of Thrones season 5, 6 and 7 over any of new Star Wars movies.

Re: Prequels

I will not argue that they're paragons of excellent storytelling, and I won't argue that they're "good movies" (that's a good way to start a fight). One good thing that they did give us though is some pretty solid world-building. and they propelled a lot of our favorite Star Wars games.

Anyways, they have experience working on a show that has a considerable amount of world-building and I think that bodes well for their fit for Star Wars in general.

• Like 1

For me the prequels are much better than the overrated Return Of The Jedi.(And BTW prequels had the best action scenes compare to OT and Disney Trilogy)

They weren't garbage they had all the things to make them great but due to the bad editing they never reached their full potential.

And don't tell me they had bad acting, OT movies weren't that great in that regard either.(None of the OT SW movies were that great.)

For me the prequels are much better than the overrated Return Of The Jedi.

And don't tell me they had bad acting, OT movies weren't that great in that regard either.(None of the OT SW movies were that great.)

• Like 3

As someone who loves the PT, OT, and what we have of the ST so far (Even though I did dislike RO), and given what I know of the media climate as it is, I recognize this is going to be an unpopular opinion:

I could not think of a less qualified writing duo to pen SW movies (Well, maybe the guys who did Crank). Very unimpressed by this choice. I'll still give it a chance, as a good storyteller should be able to handle multiple genres and styles/tones, but eh. I just don't see them as capable of successfully writing a pulpy adventure fantasy/sci-fi series for 12 year-olds

As someone who loves the PT, OT, and what we have of the ST so far (Even though I did dislike RO), and given what I know of the media climate as it is, I recognize this is going to be an unpopular opinion:

I could not think of a less qualified writing duo to pen SW movies (Well, maybe the guys who did Crank). Very unimpressed by this choice. I'll still give it a chance, as a good storyteller should be able to handle multiple genres and styles/tones, but eh. I just don't see them as capable of successfully writing a pulpy adventure fantasy/sci-fi series for 12 year-olds

I can think of many worse candidates, but if we're doing writing duos only...

Phil Lord and Chris Miller

- Extreme Movie

- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

- The Lego movies

The Wachowskis

- The Matrix, but also the second and third

- Speed Racer

- Cloud Atlas

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci

- Star Trek and Star Trek into Darkness

- Transformers 1 and 2

- Amazing Spider-man 2

Mileage may vary, but I'd still take Game of Thrones (the subpar seasons) over those entries.

That said, you might be right it is probably outside of their wheelhouse, which is why I'm hoping whatever they're working on is based off of existing material. Could go either way though.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2018 at 7:59 AM, Hassat Hunter said:

And I don't really have a strong opinion. It sounds good, but the last Disney wave leaves me with Star Wars fatigue, making me rather apathetic towards any new Star Wars movies. I rather look forward to EA losing the license and maybe we can actual get some good games again for a change.

This is the best description for the way I currently feel towards the whole SW universe. Disney is turning it into a merchandising cash-cow. They're flooding the market with low-quality, high-volume content that's not only terrible, but that completely tramples on previously-established in-universe norms and rules built over decades.

• Like 2

It's certainly an interesting idea, Game of Thrones is a fantastic show. With that said, I feel their style might be better suited to a TV show, a show running a couple of seasons depicting Revan & Malak joining the Mandalorian Wars and becoming Sith on a budget like GoT would be awesome. Still, definitely curious to see how it turns out. 

I feel like if they want to come up with some original stuff, it might not be that good. 

If they want to 'port' a now non-canon stuff to motion picture, meaning they have a source to work from, they could do really cool stuff. That being said, I'd also prefer series.

• Like 2

I think the damage has been done with TLJ; I can't unsee TLJ. I'm not at all positive about this news which seems to me to be Disney (Kathleen Kennedy) trying to repair the damage from not actually understanding what Star Wars is beyond its capability to generate revenue for Disney. It wouldn't surprise me if RJ's "trilogy" never happens. They seem to me to have been hired to replace who KK thought was the new "Star Wars" guy and the future of the franchise, but, who clearly isn't based on the reaction to TLJ.

It's probably yet another inept decision on KK's part after firing the original director for TLJ to replace him with RJ.

• Like 1

I think the damage has been done with TLJ; I can't unsee TLJ. I'm not at all positive about this news which seems to me to be Disney (Kathleen Kennedy) trying to repair the damage from not actually understanding what Star Wars is beyond its capability to generate revenue for Disney. It wouldn't surprise me if RJ's "trilogy" never happens. They seem to me to have been hired to replace who KK thought was the new "Star Wars" guy and the future of the franchise, but, who clearly isn't based on the reaction to TLJ.

It's probably yet another inept decision on KK's part after firing the original director for TLJ to replace him with RJ.

Apologies for going off topic but who was the original director for TLJ? I was always under the assumption it was Rian Johnson from the beginning.

Apologies for going off topic but who was the original director for TLJ? I was always under the assumption it was Rian Johnson from the beginning.

Actually got that wrong, KK fired the director for IX not TLJ -- JJA was the original director for TLJ. But I have to wonder why, in that if I were the director for that film and had to make a follow up to a bloated mess of a film in a trilogy, I'd probably be "difficult" to work with too.

I still think KK is inept though, in that she actually doesn't understand what Star Wars is and what is important to fans -- not really being one herself beyond its potential to generate revenue.

• Like 1

What's important to fans shouldn't really matter. GL never really cared, and that's why I love I-VI - and why I'm happy enough with TFA and loooove TLJ. Rian didn't really consider "Will the fans like this?" and seemed to mostly operate on a basis of "This is a story I want to tell and this is how I want to do it". TFA played it a bit too safe for my liking, but I was still very pleased with it and think it felt SW enough

There's obviously no way to tell yet whether these movies will go for what they think fans want vs. what they want to create, but eh

What's important to fans shouldn't really matter. GL never really cared, and that's why I love I-VI - and why I'm happy enough with TFA and loooove TLJ. Rian didn't really consider "Will the fans like this?" and seemed to mostly operate on a basis of "This is a story I want to tell and this is how I want to do it". TFA played it a bit too safe for my liking, but I was still very pleased with it and think it felt SW enough

There's obviously no way to tell yet whether these movies will go for what they think fans want vs. what they want to create, but eh

I'd write a reply regarding your misaligned naive love of TLJ, but, why bother when this video series is reply enough: https://youtu.be/vw7pcCj0ORk

• Like 4

I'd write a reply regarding your dogmatic obnoxious dismissal of the idea of someone disagreeing, but why bother when this video says enough: 

I don't think that posting that video made the point you think it did. Please let's stay on topic.

Enjoy another Game of Thrones Lightsaber fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCfhwqk9VxE

• Like 1

hopefully, we get more in-depth scenes on Anakin and his hatred for sand. BEST SCENE IN SW!!!