Sign in to follow this  
VarsityPuppet

Game of Thrones ShowRunners to produce Star Wars Trilogy

I really don't think we need to lock this, after all, it'll be something to discuss for many people for a while, why take that away. I always hate it on other forums if 2 people go off-topic and the moderators lock it while interesting discussions are going on and the topic is still relevant.

I left in the posts where things where still civil, got rid of the rest.

Anyway, if people want to discuss TLJ, you can always do here; http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/5898-the-last-jedi-spoiler-discussion/

Just... keep civilised, yes?

hopefully, we get more in-depth scenes on Anakin and his hatred for sand. BEST SCENE IN SW!!!

I actually think it got beaten by "We win battles not by fighting the ones we hate, but saving the ones we love" (while the ones they love are going to die in the background). Your mileage may vary.

They *might* actually pull off a Kenobi movie. Not that hopeful, but more-so than a Solo movie without Harrison Ford.

EDIT: Moved some posts HERE: http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/6045-talking-about-tlj-again/

Again, this topic *ISN'T* for talking about The Last Jedi, unless it's in relation to this new trilogy.

• Like 2

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

If I had only watched the first few seasons of GoT, this would excite me.

However, I have watched all of it, and while it still entertains the quality of the writing has fallen steadily as they have diverged from Martin.

In a Star Wars context, my feeling is that they will break no new ground, will just go back to political intrigue. That might be an improvement, but I'm not interested.

Frankly, it is the shocking revelation of my life, seriously - that I would be apathetic to all things Star Wars is something I would never have believed 5 years ago. If I could go back in time and tell myself this, past self would laugh and laugh and ignore.

Yet, here I am. Letting go of childish things sucks, but Disney has made it easier with their dismantling of a revered institution.

If I had only watched the first few seasons of GoT, this would excite me.

However, I have watched all of it, and while it still entertains the quality of the writing has fallen steadily as they have diverged from Martin.

In a Star Wars context, my feeling is that they will break no new ground, will just go back to political intrigue. That might be an improvement, but I'm not interested.

Frankly, it is the shocking revelation of my life, seriously - that I would be apathetic to all things Star Wars is something I would never have believed 5 years ago. If I could go back in time and tell myself this, past self would laugh and laugh and ignore.

Yet, here I am. Letting go of childish things sucks, but Disney has made it easier with their dismantling of a revered institution.

First few seasons of GoT were awesome, as they had source material. Then, they ran ouf ot books, so yea, it had declined.

Like I said in this very thread before, if they are to 'port' an existing SW material, it might very well work out, otherwise, Im not that interested either.

So... with Season 8 of GoT behind us... I think this topic is taking a turn, yes?
Though it seems a few of the GoT fans here already saw it somewhat coming, but did they to this extend?

Regardless of one's opinion of how well they handled that, I don't think that should really affect or create any preconceptions about what they might write for a SW movie

One is a grimdark fantasy aimed towards an adult audience. The other's a more mostly light spirited science fantasy universe aimed at kids. Apples and oranges

17 hours ago, 134340Goat said:

Regardless of one's opinion of how well they handled that, I don't think that should really affect or create any preconceptions about what they might write for a SW movie

One is a grimdark fantasy aimed towards an adult audience. The other's a more mostly light spirited science fantasy universe aimed at kids. Apples and oranges

Arguably, Star Wars (at least originally) was aimed at all audiences rather than just at kids. That's why the sudden push for kids toys and overall more kid-friendly characters like Jar Jar gave so many people whiplash when the Prequels rolled around. (The Ewoks seemed so out of left field as well)

There's always been a decent adult audience for Star Wars content which is likely part of why novels like the Rogue Squadron and Thrawn series caught on so well.

As long as George R Martin shows restraint and doesn't rely on brutal imagery and explicit sexual content, then it could provide that adult audience with something more in terms with their tastes. (Heck, if we actually care whether a character dies or not it will reinforce the fact that these are in fact Star [ul]Wars[/ul] ; and not just negotiations, which I'm all for)

However, if they decide to go full bore with everything and make it an adult only viewing, then it will likely split the demographic and possibly the fanbase. (Plus it will cause the obligatory protest from concerned parents once they find out)

So... this has been canned. Yay, some good Star Wars news.

Who wants to bet they off the Ruin Johnson trilogy officially in November to get people "excited" for IX?

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. I also wouldn't be surprised if they just never officially mention Johnson again either. I would be surprised if he did make another star wars anything though

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hassat Hunter said:

So... this has been canned. Yay, some good Star Wars news.

Who wants to bet they off the Ruin Johnson trilogy officially in November to get people "excited" for IX?

I generally would be, but from the new Hollywood Reporter, she's now scouting for "diverse" and inclusive filmmakers. Wasn't a fan of Game of Thrones Seasons 6-8, but they had potential (honestly I think they hated doing the show four seasons in and decided to short cut it all).

I kinda wish Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson, or Denis Villeneuve would step in the ring though I'm sure they're smart enough not to deal with the Kathleen Kennedy and her group of cronies in the Lucasfilm Story Group. Defintely agree with Canderis, pretty sure they just want Rian Johnson's trilogy announcement to be a vague memory.

Christ, can we not go one Star Wars film thread without moaning about Rian Johnson and TLJ? I think the majority of us are in the same camp: movie was not good, moving on.

At any rate, I can't say I'm upset over this getting cancelled. Game of Thrones was one of my favourite shows, until the absolute mess that was Season 8 dropped. 

On 11/3/2019 at 10:36 PM, DarthVarkor said:

Christ, can we not go one Star Wars film thread without moaning about Rian Johnson and TLJ? I think the majority of us are in the same camp: movie was not good, moving on.

It's not as much whining about TLJ but predicting marketing. They got something going with Mandalorion and Fallen Order, but I don't think it's enough to push people into TROS before everyone gets pissed off again by said shitfest. Gotta frontload that income before word gets out Disney Star Wars is finally dead.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 8:55 PM, Hassat Hunter said:

It's not as much whining about TLJ but predicting marketing. They got something going with Mandalorion and Fallen Order, but I don't think it's enough to push people into TROS before everyone gets pissed off again by said shitfest. Gotta frontload that income before word gets out Disney Star Wars is finally dead.

Nah it's absolutely whining about TLJ. Most people here live in some kind of dream world where TLJ was a financial and critical disaster and forever besmirched the reputation of Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy.

Remember all those videos predicting KK getting fired a year ago? I don't think those critical of the new trilogy have their finger anywhere close to the cultural pulse of our society. 

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

Guest Sam Fisher

There's crazies on both sides, but I do genuinely think the new Trilogy is mostly  a failure. I think a real clear sign is that the RoS merch is already on clearance while say- The Mandalorian merch that's now being sold by scalpers, just rises in price.

I just feel animosity for the Trilogy myself, but Rian Johnson's attitude on Twitter has been nothing but despicable most of the time, I've seen several instances of him pretending like the black, asian and trans people critical of him don't exist. Whilst simultaneously using minorities as a shield for his poor decision making, even though he minimised the role of everyone but white people in his film, while focusing in on the poor tortured neo-Nazi. It's insulting, that's the main problem I have with the guy, his idea for Luke Skywalker in particular I thought was really interesting, but just like everything in that film- it gets up to the part when it could be interesting then it immediately backs away. And that's about it, the rest of it just regurgitates parts of ESB and ROTJ. The throne room scene in particular was so reminiscent of Luke and Vader's confrontation with the Emperor, it actually saddened me because for a moment I thought is this all this franchise is going to be from now on? Repeating the past while spouting ideas about doing something new? 

As for GoT, I thought everything up to Season 4, or arguably 6 was excellent, with a bump here or there- and I gave the penultimate season some leeway, it was just set up for the masterplan of the final season, how wrong I was- I remember being so excited seeing the runtimes of the episodes thinking: "Damn, this is like- six movies!" But nothing prepared me for how awful it was. I'm glad these guys aren't touching Star Wars anytime soon. 

It's not a financial failure, but it was set up to match or outdo TFA, but dropped off second week in a massive slide when word came out it sucked, ending 700M less than TFA.
Critical? Critics loved it, fans hated it. Then again critics shown themselves to be as worthless as ever since then morphing Rotten Tomatoes to do their whims on movies like Captain Marvel. Critics are 100% worhtless.
We'll have to see the financial results of Knives Out to see if Rian is eternally damaged, of course critics loved it but see above.

As for thinking KK getting fired, usually the result of massive mismanagement (Solo flopping, reshoots on EVERYTHING inflating budgets, firing directors left and right) tend to do that. But it seems LucasFilm/Disney put ideology over financial sense. Well, that's their perogative, they probably can even afford it with everything that's not Star Wars making them money to cope for the losses.

I am so sorry to dissapoint you about me being a "dreamer".

"The throne room scene in particular was so reminiscent of Luke and Vader's confrontation with the Emperor "
It's reminiscent since they copied+pasted the exact dialogue from ROTJ in the elevator scene. Can't really get more 'like it' than doing the exact same thing. Then showing the fleet where it was a setup in ROTJ and it was all planned, but in TLJ it actually happened unexpected a minute or so ago so how can the telescope be pointed at it, heck how does Snoke even know yet. Oh that's right, the same way all other things in TLJ stick together... NOT.

The funniest thing is something called The Mandalorian rolls in filled with the passion, creativity, and treasure trove of Star Wars history and suddenly becomes an instant fan favorite.

It's as if everything that proceeded are cheap imitations and actually caring about Star Wars was the prerequisite to making a good Star Wars film.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:13 PM, Sam Fisher said:

I think a real clear sign is that the RoS merch is already on clearance while say- The Mandalorian merch that's now being sold by scalpers, just rises in price.

Yeah Star Wars just isn't cool anymore with young people of today, Marvel is. Mandalorian is more mature and is aimed at the people who were young ten years ago during the prequels. 

On 12/16/2019 at 6:13 PM, Sam Fisher said:

I just feel animosity for the Trilogy myself, but Rian Johnson's attitude on Twitter has been nothing but despicable most of the time, I've seen several instances of him pretending like the black, asian and trans people critical of him don't exist. Whilst simultaneously using minorities as a shield for his poor decision making, even though he minimised the role of everyone but white people in his film, while focusing in on the poor tortured neo-Nazi.

bruh do you not see the irony in this statement?

Guest Sam Fisher

I don't do this kind of argument, so no and yes, because it's just the truth.