Sign in to follow this  
Roth9

lightsaber forms

The curved hilt lightsaber is proper to form 2, double bladed is to form 6, but I never heard about a particular type of lightsaber to the other forms. Any theories?

The curved hilt lightsaber is proper to form 2, double bladed is to form 6, but I never heard about a particular type of lightsaber to the other forms. Any theories?

I love these lightsaber combat topics.... :)

Anyway, curved lightsabers are used since most form II duelists will use mostly one handed moves in a duel and the curved hilt fits a person's hand better if you're pointing a blade directly at your target with the blade parallel to the ground.

As for double bladed sabers, as far as I know, it is not specific to just form VI. Yes, Exar Kun used one as a Form VI master, but so did Asajj Ventress (a form II master) and Darth Maul (a Form VII beast). Perhaps Niman opens up the door for other techniques and styles not taught by the other forms, since there's such a heavy focus on improvisation. 

From Wookiepedia:
"The curved-hilt lightsaber is perhaps the least radical of all variants. Its extended handle accommodates a slight bend seldom exceeding thirty degrees. This style is common among practitioners of Form II lightsaber combat, who prefer its balanced weight and precise handling for saber-to-saber dueling."Skarch Vaunk in The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force[src]
Due to Form II's emphasis on blade manipulation, and its many fluid one-handed moves, Makashi practitioners often wielded lightsabers that were specialized for such use. The most prominent weapon for this purpose was the curved-hilt lightsaber. These weapons were used because the curved hilt fit better into the palm, granting better blade control and allowing for greater precision and strength.[20] In addition to this, wielders often created highly decorated weapons, and occasionally included blade-guards, as shown with Dooku's lightsaber.[