DarthParametric

MOD:Fixed Hologram Models and Admiralty Redux for TSLRCM

Fixed Hologram Models and Admiralty Redux for TSLRCM

This mod attempts to address some of the issues with holograms in TSL. In the vanilla game, the majority of holograms have things like eyeballs and teeth being visible through the head. This is caused by the way the game handles transparency, in conjunction with the order in which it renders the individual meshes that a model is comprised of. By changing the hierarchy of the meshes within these models, certain elements can be occluded, resulting in less cases of “bug-eyed” holograms. This is not a perfect solution however. Because meshes do not self-occlude, visual glitches still remain during certain animations and camera angles, but this is likely the best that can be done without being able to make alterations the game engine itself.

Additionally, because their interactions are primarily via hologram, this mod includes a revised version of Jinger/Kreia’s Admiralty Mod, which changes the appearance of Admirals Cede and Onasi to give them outfits more fitting of their rank. And while I was at it, I also revised certain appearances with head swaps and custom model merges (hair, etc.) to try and reduce overuse of the same heads and make NPCs a little more distinct.

N.B.: TSLRCM is a requirement for this mod. It is not compatible with the vanilla version of the game.

Specific Changes:

• Ebon Hawk: Bastila hologram (Light Side male Revan)
  • Ebon Hawk: Bastila hologram (Dark Side male Revan)
  • Ebon Hawk: Carth hologram (Dark Side female Revan)
  • Ebon Hawk: Carth (Admiral Onasi) hologram (Light Side female Revan)
  • Ebon Hawk: Canderous hologram
  • Ebon Hawk: Jedi Master Atris hologram
  • Ebon Hawk: Jedi Master Kavar hologram
  • Ebon Hawk: Jedi Master Vash hologram
  • Ebon Hawk: Jedi Master Vrook hologram
  • Ebon Hawk: Jedi Master Zez-Kai Ell hologram
  • Peragus: Administration Officer hologram
  • Peragus: Dock Officer hologram
  • Peragus: Maintenance Officer hologram
  • Peragus: Medical Officer hologram
  • Peragus: Security Officer hologram
  • Peragus: Coorta hologram
  • Peragus: Coorta thug #1 hologram
  • Peragus: Coorta thug #2 hologram
  • Harbinger: Republic Captain hologram
  • Harbinger: Republic Navigation Officer hologram
  • Harbinger: Republic Doctor/Med Officer hologram
  • Harbinger: Republic Soldier hologram (partial)
  • Harbinger: Admiral Cede hologram
  • Harbinger: Admiral Onasi hologram
  • Telos: Admiral Cede hologram
  • Telos: Admiral Onasi hologram
  • Telos: Admiral Onasi physical appearance
  • Dantooine: Jedi Master Vandar hologram
  • Dantooine: Jedi Master Vrook hologram
  • Dantooine: Admiral Cede hologram
  • Dantooine: Admiral Onasi hologram
  • Nar Shaddaa (Goto's Yacht): Goto hologram/projector VFX
  • Korriban: Bastila hologram (Dark Side male Revan)
  • Korriban: Jedi Master Vash hologram (M4-78)
  • Korriban: Jedi Kaah hologram (M4-78)
  • Malachor V: Bao-Dur hologram

Known Issues:

• There are still visual artefacts from overlapping sections of individual meshes, particularly noticeable in the case of the neck being visible through the jaw which occurs with certain animations and/or camera angles. This is not addressable by model edits. The problem is the way in which the engine renders overlapping transparency within a single mesh.
  • The Republic soldier on the Harbinger has been replaced as of v1.3, however the helmet is still somewhat problematic. I'm not sure that is addressable without completely remodelling it, and perhaps not even then given its shape.
  • Hair planes with alpha transparency don't function as intended as holograms, so typically look pretty terrible (e.g. Peragus Maintenance Officer). There's not much that can be done about those, other than completely remodelling the hair to rely on geometry rather than texture transparency.
  • Dangly meshes used for hair bangs tend to look conspicuous due the requirement of placing them under the head mesh in the hierarchy. Particularly egregious examples may warrant having these elements being turned into skinned meshes in a future update.
  • No doubt there are still a few holograms that need attention that I have missed. If anyone can provide a list of such cases, I may address it in a future update. Note that some holograms look fine in their vanilla state. I am only interested in hearing about ones with issues like those already addressed in this mod ("bug eyes", etc.).

Compatibility:

• I've edited UTCs to point to custom appearance.2da entries, so the mod should be compatible with any other mod that only edits the vanilla 2DA entries. However, it will not be compatible with any mod that forcibly overwrites the module files this mod edits, that outright replaces the UTCs in question, or that also edits the UTC appearance values. Install any such mods first, then this mod afterwards.
  • To make it clear, do not use this in conjunction with Jinger/Kreia’s Admiralty Mod or Darth Hayze's TSLRCM Compatibility Patch for said mod. They are superseded by this mod.
  • A separate patch is provided for M4-78 to handle its version of the Korriban academy module. After installing the main content of the mod, run the installer a second time and select the "Additional Patch" option from the drop down menu.
  • An optional patch has been added to give the robe-wearing holograms unique named textures for use with robe mods that use the same filenames as vanilla robe textures. This will prevent texture issues (but note that they will still be wearing the vanilla-style robes).

Acknowledgements:

• Thanks to Fair Strides for creating a customised version of TSLPatcher to handle filename clashes, which made this mod practical.
  • Thanks to Jinger/Kreia for permission to release a revised version of the Admiralty mod's content, the textures from which (with modification) are used in this mod.
  • Thanks to zbyl2 for permission to redistribute TSLRCM's module files to ensure compatibility for Steam Workshop users
  • Thanks to JCarter426 for permission to use the female Republic soldier body model from "JC's Republic Soldier Fix for K2" and his adjusted N_CommM04 texture from "JC's Minor Fixes for K2".
  • Thanks to bead-v for KOTORMax and MDLEdit, and ndix UR for MDLOps 2K18 Edition, all of which were required at various points to get this to work.
  • Thanks to ndix UR for TGA2TPC
  • Thanks to Malkior for providing the impetus for the mod via this thread.
  • Thanks to L0ki194 for offering input on the case of the Harbinger's "Doctor" vs "Medical Officer".

• Like 4

It should be self-explanatory from the description and title. This provides the same function as the original Admiralty mod, as far as Cede and Carth are concerned. You do not need that (and indeed, using them together would cause all sorts of problems).

It should be self-explanatory from the description and title. This provides the same function as the original Admiralty mod, as far as Cede and Carth are concerned. You do not need that (and indeed, using them together would cause all sorts of problems).

I generally look for the tga files and view the texture with mods that include textures and I just realized you've used tpc files instead of tga files. My bad

What compatibility option should M4-78 v1.5 use? The 1.2 or 1.3 (steam version? Or will it need a new option?

I believe it should be the same as 1.3, since the 703Kor module does get added by m4-78 1.5

3 hours ago, darthbdaman said:

What compatibility option should M4-78 v1.5 use? The 1.2 or 1.3 (steam version? Or will it need a new option?

I believe it should be the same as 1.3, since the 703Kor module does get added by m4-78 1.5

@darthbdaman, I am glad you asked this question as I was unaware that the most current version of this fix pack has fixes to M4-78 as well, so I added it to my M4-78 mods blog.  I am also wondering about your fix pack fits in with M4-78 EP 1.5.

I haven't checked it properly yet, but a cursory glance over the mod's page would suggest that the added changes are all related to the M4-78 planet itself. I am assuming 1.5 continues with the added Korriban module route they went with in 1.3, so choosing the 1.3 option in the installer should be fine. If you want to be certain, check for the presence of RIM files labelled "703KOR" in your Modules folder. I'll make a proper assessment and update the instructions over the weekend.

• Like 1

If the compatibility change is related to 703kor, then 1.3 patch will work for M4 1.5

5 hours ago, zbyl2 said:

If the compatibility change is related to 703kor, then 1.3 patch will work for M4 1.5

Yeah it patches the UTCs for Kaah and Bastila's hologram UTCs to point to new appearance.2da entries with fixed, full body models. Thanks for the confirmation. I have updated the readme/instructions to add references to v1.5.

• Thanks 1

I am having an issue where the TOR (saul karath) uniform has no holographic effect on the Harbinger. The four... bars?... on the cap and uniform as well as the body (head and hands) are holographic, and those in regular republic uniforms are fully holographic. I installed this, yes in order, immediately after M4-78 EP 1.5. When I installed the base portion, I got some "unhandled exceptions" where it couldn't create folders (like 102per_temp and 003ebo_temp) when installing (which aren't consistent as to which one happens), and it gave 16 warnings about modules already existing in the modules folder.

The only model altering mods I have are JC's supermodel fix, JC's Zhug Attack Fix, the TOR Meetra Surik head, and the ones (mostly yours DP) that fix area geometry. The rest of my my mods consist of weapon model and texture enhancements, and general HD texture mods (like the OTE series).

I reinstalled this (in order) again and didn't get any conflict errors ("x file already exists... skipping"). Just the same exceptions and warnings. The modules are 005ebo.mod, 101per.mod, 102per.mod, 103per.mod, 105per.mod, 106per.mod, 151har.mod, 152har.mod, 201tel.mod, 205tel.mod, 222tel.mod, 601dan.mod, 602dan.mod, 901mal.mod, 902mal.mod, 702kor_s.rim. That is base part of the mod. The M4 addon and patch don't give any errors.

Is it likely that I need to redownload this and the base version as there could be corruption?

Would removing the modules do any good (I get the feeling they're also RCM/EP files)?

This is the only problem I'm having in my newest run of K2 (fresh install). I did have another with the Vrook Vandar holorecording crashing my game, but I haven't gotten that far yet and it's hopefully resolved.

10 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

I am having an issue where the TOR (saul karath) uniform has no holographic effect on the Harbinger. The four... bars?... on the cap and uniform as well as the body (head and hands) are holographic

That is a separate mod. Did you read the description and download the normal map fix for that issue?

3 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

I got some "unhandled exceptions" where it couldn't create folders

Yeah that's bad. I'm guessing your game is installed somewhere in Program Files. At the very least you need to run TSLPatcher as an administrator in that case.

4 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

it gave 16 warnings about modules already existing in the modules folder

As the readme clearly states: "You may get warning messages regarding certain module (.MOD and .RIM) files already existing. This is normal and no cause for alarm. The files are only included for Steam Workshop compatibility reasons".

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

That is a separate mod. Did you read the description and download the normal map fix for that issue?

Yeah that's bad. I'm guessing your game is installed somewhere in Program Files. At the very least you need to run TSLPatcher as an administrator in that case.

As the readme clearly states: "You may get warning messages regarding certain module (.MOD and .RIM) files already existing. This is normal and no cause for alarm. The files are only included for Steam Workshop compatibility reasons".

Oh crap berries. I intended to put this in the thread for that.

The exceptions I'm attributing to Win10 being the moron that it is since I was running the patcher as admin.

And I recall seeing that in the readme.

Gimme a break. My brain hurts from keeping straight what mods to install, when to install them, how to install them, and which ones I have setup with the complicated stuff already done. lol

Edit: PS. The mention of the NM Fix, while in the DL page, isn't in a readme or the info.rtf with the tor port mod. That's why I didn't look for it. I didn't forget b/c I didn't look at the DL page again. But that did take care of it.

I'm trying to install the patch for M4-78 1.5 and I'm getting the following error message:

Unhandled exception: Cannot create file "". The filename or extension is too long (0)

I've never seen anything quite like this.  Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks.

12 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

Where are you trying to install it to? Some Steam Workshop directory buried deep under a bunch of sub-directories?

I thought about this, so Installed KOTOR 2 in (D:)/Star Wars - KOTOR2, and got the same result.  It's the GOG version if that makes any difference.

46 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

Then in that case, where are you installing from? What is the full path of where the installer is located?

....You know, I'm embarrassed to admit, but I never thought of this.  The installer was many folders deep in a directory where I keep many mods for all sorts of games.  After installing it from the dekstop, it worked with no issues.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, do you know why the base mod installed just fine the first time, but the M4-78 EP patch did not?

Quick question, is it normal to get the 16 warning message when the mod installation is finished? I'm using the Steam version of KotOR 2 + the Restored Content mod from the workshop, thanks for any assistance! I'll provide the installation log if that helps ;)

installlog.txt

Edited by Zeta
Providing installation log

N.B. – You may get warning messages regarding certain module (.MOD and .RIM) files already existing. This is normal and no cause for alarm. The files are only included for Steam Workshop compatibility reasons.

• Thanks 1

So, just installed this and it doesn't seemed to have worked.

Ran the patcher, no issue, boot up the game, holograms still have bug eyes, and Carth still dresses like an idiot.

Any thoughts as to what could be the issue?

Its the Steam version of the game, but not the workshop version of tslrcm, if that's at all helpful.

Ah.  Just started a new character to test, and its still not working.

Guess that "anywhere you've been" thing carries over playthroughs then?