Sign in to follow this  
Mephiles550

Improved Civilians Only

We've got a couple of mods for Kotor that edit the commoners, such as the NPC Overhaul mod or SpaceAlex's Kotor Enhancement mod, but the one thing these mods all have in common is that they edit several other aspects of the game. 

What I'm asking for is basically a watered down version of these mods, something that edits only the low poly citizens. so that their low polygon models are changed to their high-poly equivalents and still have diversity in their clothing textures. I feel like this diversity in clothing would only be appropriate for places like Taris and Manaan. On Tatooine and Korriban, I think it would be better for people there to wear the standard light brown/pale outfit since they're probably not as wealthy if they're on those planets (The civilians on Korriban were mainly merchants and spacers/traders, and Tatooine... It's Tatooine). These changes could also be applied to the low-poly Sith on Korriban, like the guards, students and archaeologists diggers.

This mod would not only be convenient for people who want to play a slightly less ugly version of the base game, but it'd also be useful for modders who don't want compatability issues with large NPC modification mods.

I could have sworn we already had a mod like this, but I cannot find one.

The minimalist approach would be to edit appearance.2da and replace any "lite" entries with regular versions. That's pretty simple to whip up.

If you want variety in clothing and heads, or specific distributions of such (like all brown clothing for poor areas), then you'd have to edit UTCs. That would be a significant undertaking, as you'd be editing something like 3/4 of the game's modules.

For TSL, the installation of the NPC Overhaul mod is extremely modular and customisable - I've homebrewed my own version of it to have different replacers. So it's fairly easy to make your own version of that for TSL, though the install proceedure is much longer since it has an install option for almost each and every module file in the game. That said, it's fairly simple to update or change a single module, instead of just reinstalling everything if you want to make a small change to the mod. It's really quite useful!

Sadly, the Kotor 1 doesn't have this setup in its install and I've always wanted a version with it, since I basically have to pay much more attention and think much more if I want to customise it; plus I can't just make a single change to one module either.

If you know what you're doing, it might be possible to rejig a version of the K1 NPC Overhaul mod's TSLPatcher and then customise off that to give you what you want, but my knowledge of the patcher isn't really extensive enough to start trying that myself.

• Like 1

The K1 NPC Overhaul would require a full rebuild. Most of its changes are pre-baked into module files which just straight overwrite any pre-existing ones in the modules folder. That's why it has compatibility issues.

The K1 NPC Overhaul would require a full rebuild. Most of its changes are pre-baked into module files which just straight overwrite any pre-existing ones in the modules folder. That's why it has compatibility issues.

Couldn't the modified utc's be extracted from the .mod files then place the utc's in a TSL NPC Overhaul style patcher system so utc's can be directly placed into K1R .mod files?

The modules with low-poly models in need of editing would be:

Taris: (5)

North Streets

South Streets

Upper City Cantina

Lower City Cantina

North Apartments

Dantooine: (1)

Directly outside the enclave

Tatooine: (1)

Anchorhead Streets

Korriban: (1)

Dreshdae

Manaan: (4)

Ahto West

Ahto West Central

Ahto East

Ahto East Central

A total of 12 Modules, however we can add another two if we consider Korriban's low quality Sith models in the Academy and Valley. A good chunk of the game, but not really 3/4 of it.

It might just be easier to edit the Appearance.2da and add all of the UTC files into the override instead of editing the Module files. Most citizen UTC files are unique enough so that there wouldn't be any overlapping between different locations. The only exception I can think of this would be the Citizen.utc, which I've only found in Dreshdae so far.