Emperor Turnip

How to create new feats?

Hello all!

I'm new to the forums, but not new to Kotor or modding in general. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for modding in some additional feats to TSL? I have been working on a general re-balance of the classes for an upcoming mod, and would very much like to include many new feats to promote build diversity.
The Feats.2da file itself seems to also reference additional files, and I am currently uncertain of which ones exactly or how they interact. Is there a tutorial out there for some simpler changes like +2 reflex saves, +1 defence while fighting with 2 weapons, etc. Simpler ones at first.

Thanks for your time!

Hello all!

I'm new to the forums, but not new to Kotor or modding in general. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for modding in some additional feats to TSL? I have been working on a general re-balance of the classes for an upcoming mod, and would very much like to include many new feats to promote build diversity.

The Feats.2da file itself seems to also reference additional files, and I am currently uncertain of which ones exactly or how they interact. Is there a tutorial out there for some simpler changes like +2 reflex saves, +1 defence while fighting with 2 weapons, etc. Simpler ones at first.

Thanks for your time!

I asked this same question a while back and got these answers. I think all the feats are already hardcoded in the game system. 

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/5744-how-to-edit-and-create-feats/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/5764-requestk1-change-feats-at-level-up/

Thank you for the response. Are force powers in the same world of unchangeable? Because a passive force power is as good as a feat.

Any tutorials on the scripts btw?

Would it be possible to have a script equip an item to the invisible slots each character has as the result of a feat being selected upon level up? Each combination of selected feats would have to have their own item, and the script would then have to know which item to assign based on which feats have been learned. I don't mind a large amount of work involved, just need to know if it's even possible.

Are force powers in the same world of unchangeable? Because a passive force power is as good as a feat.

I think there is some wiggle room with force powers, believe it or not. 

Regarding the passive force power as an alternate feat, that's a great idea actually.

Right now I have a few options I'm digging around about.

0) Passive force powers. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

1) Dummy feat that only shows up in the menu during level up (ex "Gain Massive Criticals 1d8") but really just equips an item into the invisible character item slots that has said bonus.

2) Create a "weapon proficiency feat" (I've read this can be done, idk how yet) that fulfills the script requirement to equip said premade item.

3) Active force powers with long duration.

Thank you for the response. Are force powers in the same world of unchangeable? Because a passive force power is as good as a feat.

Any tutorials on the scripts btw?

Force powers are possible. I've never made any but there are many mods that add them, so you could have a look at those to see how it's done.

For scripting tutorials, you'll just have to search through these threads and/or look at sourcescripts from other mods. Also, Fair Strides once did a livestream where he gave an introduction into scripting, so that might be useful to you. Problem is I can't find it.

Finding the instructions to attempt the work seem to be harder than figuring out work arounds themselves xD

Ill have to keep digging. The scripting thread turned up with no help either.

Force powers are possible. I've never made any but there are many mods that add them, so you could have a look at those to see how it's done.

For scripting tutorials, you'll just have to search through these threads and/or look at sourcescripts from other mods. Also, Fair Strides once did a livestream where he gave an introduction into scripting, so that might be useful to you. Problem is I can't find it.

Did he do that on Youtube or something?

Finding the instructions to attempt the work seem to be harder than figuring out work arounds themselves xD

Ill have to keep digging. The scripting thread turned up with no help either.

Are you talking about Fair Strides' scripting thread?

Yes. He did that on his Youtube channel after announcing it here on DS. But it doesn't seem to be archived on his channel.

Yeah, I looked on his youtube page and the video wasn't there. That's a shame.

It is a shame. A lot of the information about modding more than just textures seems to have been lost or never found. I'm confident I can reverse engineer the code I need to get the job done, it just seems like it's going to be a lot of work for maybe not a lot of payoff if the mod itself is never really used.

Anyone know how to get a feat to show up in the UI when leveling up? I think I have a way to sort the rest out via scripts. Editing an entry into the 2da doesn't seem to be enough anymore.