Sign in to follow this  
Mellowtron11

How to add upgrade slot to TSL Jedi Robes?

Hello all. I wanted to make a mod where I upgraded the Gray Jedi Robe. The changes would be simple- just another +1 or 2 points to defense and an upgrade slot to increase the robe's longevity like other endgame robes. 

However, I also wanted to reskin the robe and make a light to medium colored gray, as opposed to the game's current charcoal color that almost looks like a dark Jedi robe. The game's UTI is a_robe_12, which I found in the game's UTI in bif- templates-items in KOTOR TOOL. I just downloaded the KGFF editor, as I know I'll need it later.

However, when I go to the texture packs in kotor tool and go to ERFs>TexturePacks> swpc_tex_tpa.erf, I only find the first 10 ten types of robes (PMIB01.tpc to PMIB10.tpc). The gray jedi robe's uti is a_robe_12 and I don't see that number there in the texture packs. The same goes to the Jedi Master Robe a_robe_17, which is the robe type that the Gray robe is based on. 

So where would I pull up this robe's texture model? Am I looking in the wrong place? And if I want to add an upgrade slot, do I change the upgrade slot value from -1 to 1?

The texture is defined by the Texture Variation number. Which is 5, in the case of a_robe_12.

What does the Texture variation number mean? The robe/armor model type? So would the texture I would reskin be PMBI05 ?

More or less as you say, except the robe type is Master Robes, PMBN/PFBN. Typically there would be male and female texture versions, but for master robes there are only female ones. So PFBN05 would be the one you want. However, remember that the textures are shared, not unique per item, so editing that texture will affect any other robe that uses the same variation. Your best bet is to create a copy that is a new custom variant number (for example, 73 - so PFBN73), then edit the UTI to point to that.

I just downloaded the KGFF editor, as I know I'll need it later.

If you are not doing so already, you can view GFF files like UTIs directly in KOTORTool. KGFF is extremely useful, but a little unforgiving for those just starting out. KTool is buggy, but much more user-friendly for viewing and editing UTIs.

More or less as you say, except the robe type is Master Robes, PMBN/PFBN. Typically there would be male and female texture versions, but for master robes there are only female ones. So PFBN05 would be the one you want. However, remember that the textures are shared, not unique per item, so editing that texture will affect any other robe that uses the same variation. Your best bet is to create a copy that is a new custom variant number (for example, 73 - so PFBN73), then edit the UTI to point to that.

Thanks for telling me where that is. I just found those textures in the swpc_tex_tpa.erf files. Regarding the copy of the robe, for instance, name it as PFBN30 in the tag and template Resref name. What about the texture variation number? Would it still remain as 5 or would I renumber it as 30? 

And what about the texture when I open it up in GIMP? Do I save the new texture file as PFBN05 still? 

Thanks for your help! 

That depends on what you want to do. If you want to create a new item, then you change the tag, template Resref and filename of the .uti to something else. If you want this new item to have a new unique texture, you also set its texture variant to something new and you also save your texture with the corresponding name, i.e. PFBN30 if you were to set the texture variation to 30. If you just want to give the already existing item a new unique texture, you only change the texture variation and save the texture with the corresponding name. If you just want to retexture the item and don't care about other items using the same texture also being retextured, then you just edit the texture but keep its name.

That depends on what you want to do. If you want to create a new item, then you change the tag, template Resref and filename of the .uti to something else. If you want this new item to have a new unique texture, you also set its texture variant to something new and you also save your texture with the corresponding name, i.e. PFBN30 if you were to set the texture variation to 30. If you just want to give the already existing item a new unique texture, you only change the texture variation and save the texture with the corresponding name. If you just want to retexture the item and don't care about other items using the same texture also being retextured, then you just edit the texture but keep its name.

If I 'create' a new item by changing a couple stats (for instance, add another point or two of defense and add a +1 to wisdom) and adding an upgrade slot, would that be considered a new item? 

Regarding the upgrade slot would I just change the -1 in the upgrade slot column in the item editor window, would I just change the number? Is there a different number needed for the upgrade slot to take effect?

That depends. Do you want to replace the original item with your new stats or do you want to create a new item so that both the original and the new one are available ingame?

That depends. Do you want to replace the original item with your new stats or do you want to create a new item so that both the original and the new one are available ingame?

Replace the original item. Sorry I wasn't clear in the last post.

Then we're not talking about a new item. If you were to change tag, resref and filename you'd create a new item, so you don't want to do this here.

So where would I go from here? Just adjust the stats and set the texture variance to a different number then?

So where would I go from here? Just adjust the stats and set the texture variance to a different number then?

Yes. (And make an edited version of the texture with the correct name for your new texture variation of course.)

This tutorial may have what you're looking for.

N-DReW25 actually sent that video to me when I first started out on this website a while back. It's a good tutorial, but I do need to watch it again...a lot. :)

Yes. (And make an edited version of the texture with the correct name for your new texture variation of course.)

And number the texture with the robe's new ID number too?

And number the texture with the robe's new ID number too?

Well no. You don't change the ID number of the robe as that would create a new item. You only change the texture variation. And you name your texture with the same number that you use as the new texture variation.