JediKrusader24

Admiral/Republic Officer Uniform for Cede in TSL

So given the fact that the Admiralty Mod seems to be causing a game-breaking bug with the latest version of TSLRCM, I'm looking for a way to change Admiral Cede's excruciatingly generic look in TSL to at least a Republic Officer uniform (like the one worn by the Harbinger Captain), as I understand getting him in an actual Admiral uniform is a bit more complicated.

Seeing as I have no modding experience, I was looking to find out if there is a straightforward avenue of getting Cede into something more respectable.

Any tips, gents?

Looking at his UTC, he uses the generic Republic_Officer_Mal_Old_Black appearance, which uses the model N_RepOff. So he should already be in the officer's uniform.

The Admiralty mod is just an edit of the Saul Karath model/texture to make it match Admiral Dodonna's model/texture (both of which remain in TSL's files). The easiest thing to do would be to replace the male officer model with the Admiralty mod's model, and the female officer with the Dodonna model. That would require minimal effort. The better option would be to create unique appearance rows for with those models for Cede and anyone else you want to change and then edit their UTCs to point to that (of course that is basically remaking the Admiralty mod, or at least the compatibility patch, so I assume you don't want to go down that route).

Looking at his UTC, he uses the generic Republic_Officer_Mal_Old_Black appearance, which uses the model N_RepOff. So he should already be in the officer's uniform.

The Admiralty mod is just an edit of the Saul Karath model/texture to make it match Admiral Dodonna's model/texture (both of which remain in TSL's files). The easiest thing to do would be to replace the male officer model with the Admiralty mod's model, and the female officer with the Dodonna model. That would require minimal effort. The better option would be to create unique appearance rows for with those models for Cede and anyone else you want to change and then edit their UTCs to point to that (of course that is basically remaking the Admiralty mod, or at least the compatibility patch, so I assume you don't want to go down that route).

Thanks for the reply. I've just checked in-game and it looks like Cede's dressed as a regular Republic mook by default, see pics below for comparison:

RepOfficer

CedeRepublicMook

Additionally, KotorTool is not picking up my TSL folder. I'm guessing this is because I'm running the Steam version.

Thanks for the reply. I've just checked in-game and it looks like Cede's dressed as a regular Republic mook by default, see pics below for comparison

Hrm, I looked at his UTC on both Citadel Station and the Harbinger and I was sure they pointed to an officer appearance. I'll have to check if there are additional UTCs.

Edit: OK, looking in 151HAR, n_repoff001.utc points to appearance Republic_Soldier_Mal_Old_Black which uses N_RepSold. So yeah, that is just the generic soldier appearance. It should be considered a bug in TSLRCM, seeing as all his other appearances use the officer body. It should be reported to the TSLRCM crew as such.

Additionally, KotorTool is not picking up my TSL folder. I'm guessing this is because I'm running the Steam version.

Yeah KTool relies on the registry for the game's location. Steam uses keys it doesn't know about. I posted just the other day about how to fix it - http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/5852-lack-of-head-skins/?p=60954 Be aware however that if you are using the Workshop then KTool won't see that content. It only sees what is in the primary game folder.

The comments say it no longer works.

========================================

Edit: I've had a look at the Admiralty mod's contents and I have to say I'm unsure why it's as complex as it is. It edits scripts and dialogues, adding in new UTCs. I would have thought simply editing the original UTCs to point to the new appearance rows would be sufficient, at least for TSLRCM. I've never used it myself. Did it add in cut content for Carth before TSLRCM was around?

Here are all the UTCs I could find in TSLRCM:

TSL_Admiral_UTCs.jpg

The two Carth ones I highlighted I am unsure about. I assume that the Dantooine one must be Admiral Onasi, but the one on the Ebon Hawk I am wondering if it may be something else.

It seems to be the logical starting point is creating new appearances and then editing these UTCs to point to those. The problem is testing, seeing as you need a save before having entered that module, which more or less means playing a full game.

Edit 2: Seeing as Jinger gave permission to use the mod assets with attribution, I figured I'd have a crack at making a revised version of it. I actually ended up just making new models, seeing as the original used full body models. I went with separate heads to make reusing the bodies for other purposes easier, and because Jinger swapped out the original Saul legs with Carth's, while I kept Saul's but modified the texture. I also lopped off the bit of their heads underneath the hats, as I noticed that Jinger didn't do that and it looks pretty weird on Carth in hologram form.

Like I said, testing is difficult, so I have only been able to test on the Harbinger so far, but that seems to be working at least:

TSL_Admiralty_Redux_Test_Carth_01_TH.jpg Spacer_50.pngTSL_Admiralty_Redux_Test_Cede_01_TH.jpg

If you want to test it, here's an initial version (you'll probably need to start a new game):

It's designed to only work with TSLRCM, so if you are using the Steam Workshop you'll need to install it over TSLRCM's Workshop folder, which should be \steamapps\workshop\content\208580\485537937 for the English version. If you also use M4-78, I gather you'll have to install it over that instead, but I don't use that so I haven't tested it.

Edit 3: File updated:

Edit 4: I just realised the the Cede portion (beyond the Harbinger at least) would be broken in the file I posted because of TSLPatcher's inability to deal with editing multiple instances of UTCs with the same filename. This now at least partially explains why Jinger's original mod was more complex than I expected.

• Like 5

Hrm, I looked at his UTC on both Citadel Station and the Harbinger and I was sure they pointed to an officer appearance. I'll have to check if there are additional UTCs.

Edit: OK, looking in 151HAR, n_repoff001.utc points to appearance Republic_Soldier_Mal_Old_Black which uses N_RepSold. So yeah, that is just the generic soldier appearance. It should be considered a bug in TSLRCM, seeing as all his other appearances use the officer body. It should be reported to the TSLRCM crew as such.

Yeah KTool relies on the registry for the game's location. Steam uses keys it doesn't know about. I posted just the other day about how to fix it - http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/5852-lack-of-head-skins/?p=60954 Be aware however that if you are using the Workshop then KTool won't see that content. It only sees what is in the primary game folder.

The comments say it no longer works.

Edit: I've had a look at the Admiralty mod's contents and I have to say I'm unsure why it's as complex as it is. It edits scripts and dialogues, adding in new UTCs. I would have thought simply editing the original UTCs to point to the new appearance rows would be sufficient, at least for TSLRCM. I've never used it myself. Did it add in cut content for Carth before TSLRCM was around?

Here are all the UTCs I could find in TSLRCM:

TSL_Admiral_UTCs.jpg

The two Carth ones I highlighted I am unsure about. I assume that the Dantooine one must be Admiral Onasi, but the one on the Ebon Hawk I am wondering if it may be something else.

It seems to be the logical starting point is creating new appearances and then editing these UTCs to point to those. The problem is testing, seeing as you need a save before having entered that module, which more or less means playing a full game.

Edit 2: Seeing as Jinger gave permission to use the mod assets with attribution, I figured I'd have a crack at making a revised version of it. I actually ended up just making new models, seeing as the original used full body models. I went with separate heads to make reusing the bodies for other purposes easier, and because Jinger swapped out the original Saul legs with Carth's, while I kept Saul's but modified the texture. I also lopped off the bit of their heads underneath the hats, as I noticed that Jinger didn't do that and it looks pretty weird on Carth in hologram form.

Like I said, testing is difficult, so I have only been able to test on the Harbinger so far, but that seems to be working at least:

TSL_Admiralty_Redux_Test_Carth_01_TH.jpg Spacer_50.pngTSL_Admiralty_Redux_Test_Cede_01_TH.jpg

If you want to test it, here's an initial version (you'll probably need to start a new game):

https://www.darthparametric.com/files/kotor/tsl/[TSL]_Admiralty_Redux_For_TSLRCM_Beta1.7z

It's designed to only work with TSLRCM, so if you are using the Steam Workshop you'll need to install it over TSLRCM's Workshop folder, which should be \steamapps\workshop\content\208580\485537937 for the English version. If you also use M4-78, I gather you'll have to install it over that instead, but I don't use that so I haven't tested it.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to look into this, DarthParametric. I'm pretty sure the Ebon Hawk 'instance' of Carth is supposed to be the message he stored on T3, so logically it should be his K1 look.

I'll give the Beta you posted a spin, is there any way to apply the changes just to Cede? I'd installed Silveredge's Admiral appearance for Carth after Admiralty was not working.

is there any way to apply the changes just to Cede?

Before installing, open changes.ini found in the tslpatchdata folder in a text editor. Delete the following lines (lines 169-192):

[p_carth001.utc]
!Destination=Modules\003EBO.mod
Appearance_Type=2DAMEMORY3
[p_carth002.utc]
!Destination=Modules\003EBO.mod
[n_carth001.utc]
!Destination=Modules\151HAR.mod
[201_carth.utc]
!Destination=Modules\201TEL.mod
[carth.utc]
!Destination=Modules\205TEL.mod
[221_carth.utc]
!Destination=Modules\221TEL.mod
[222_carth.utc]
!Destination=Modules\222TEL.mod
[carth_holo.utc]
!Destination=Modules\602DAN.mod
You may also need to change the [GFFList] near the top of the file to:

[GFFList]
File0=n_repoff001.utc
File1=rep_gen.utc
File2=rep_gen.utc
File3=rep_gen.utc
That will still keep the 2DA entries and models, so if you wanted to you could change the Silveredge appearance to use the Carth head I added with the admiral's cap.

I'm pretty sure the Ebon Hawk 'instance' of Carth is supposed to be the message he stored on T3, so logically it should be his K1 look.

I figured that was probably the case. I'll remove that one.

• Like 1

Seeing as Jinger gave permission to use the mod assets with attribution, I figured I'd have a crack at making a revised version of it. I actually ended up just making new models, seeing as the original used full body models. I went with separate heads

:lol: I'm sure I couldn't do any better at the time.

Yes, the admirals show up a few times throughout the game, it's not quite as simple as one initially may think.

About the Steam Workshop, I have no idea how that works, never did look into it. This is cool though, glad to see it in good hands.

:lol: I'm sure I couldn't do any better at the time.

Your merging of bodies and heads actually required more work/was harder, hence why I was surprised. I stuck with the far less effort approach of dealing with the existing separate heads and bodies.

it's not quite as simple as one initially may think.

At the time I was unaware of the limitation of TSLPatcher in dealing with multiple instances of files with the same name. So it seemed like it should be easy. It wasn't until I saw how that was tripping it up that I realised why you had to go to the additional lengths you did. It should be said the blame pretty much lies squarely with Obsidian for that though. Why they didn't use unique resrefs baffles the mind. Surely it must have been a nightmare for them as well. Fortunately Fair Strides has a solution to fix the problem, and the previous TSLPatcher alternation also solves the Steam Workshop issue (removing dialog.tlk as a prerequisite).