zbyl2

What's going on with M4-78EP?

TLDR there's a new awesome version coming some time

There are few things I'll talk about today: 1. Why hasn't M4-78 been re-uploaded yet 2. What's taking so long to release an update when there's already one on Steam and 3. What sort of changes are we going to see in the next update

1. Why hasn't M4-78 been re-uploaded yet?

There was this whole issue with the credits music, we posted about it a while ago. I re-compiled TSLRCM's installer without the credits, but couldn't do the same for M4-78 because M4 files were on a different hard drive, which I didn't have access to at a time.

When I eventually got it back, I was going to make some last-minute changes to the mod and upload it, but I ended up doing a lot of other things instead and never got around to it.

2. What's taking so long to release an update when there's already been an update on Steam?

I didn't really have all that much to do with the 1.3 version TBH, maybe except for re-doing a lot of VO filters (more on that later). I wanted to release a big, cool update which would be basically an ultimate version of the mod.

I even had a date in mind for when I would release it - it was some Wednesday back in September - but as mentioned, I ended up doing a lot of other stuff instead.

I'm pretty much done with it now, though. I need to go trough the planet and see if everything still works properly, but other than that, it's good to go. I even thought of releasing a public beta with a disclaimer that it may or may not break half way through, in order not to delay it too much, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. It's been down for so long, a while longer won't hurt.

It'll be released soon. I just need to test it. And I have another person beta-testing it, too. There's a lot of new stuff in the next version that I think will make experience a lot better.

3. What sort of changes are we going to see in the next update?

I'm only going to list the major ones I did myself.

Note that no one else has seen most of those changes yet, and I'm not sure I even mentioned most of them to anyone else.

* New intro cut-scene: without so many re-used companion lines; expanded Atton's role with a lot of unused lines of his, though.

* Reduced amount of walking: included auto-teleportation for some quests to make it go faster (in the droid quest, you only have to go trough areas one time instead of three; auto-teleportation to I1-02 after re-building him and few others); added option to destroy cleaning units from the Industrial Zone (it really made no sense to go all way back to Central!)

* Added text description of what's happening in the holo-recordings next to That Door in the Industrial Zone to make whole quest less confusing.

* Alternate way to open THAT DOOR which doesn't require you running around the area multiple times.

* Alternate way to enter the Environmental Zone without ever talking to IS-24. Yes, that means you can do the Environmental Zone first, and meet Kaah before ever heading to the Industrial Zone. I won't spoil how.

* Related to the above: expanded Kaah's role. You can interact with him after first meeting him, but before finding Vash. Thank Zhaboka for recording multiple additional lines for the patch.

* Rewritten ending: Which might get patched out if people like that one even less :P

* Significantly reduced the lag in the Industrial Zone by splitting the module into a few, smaller ones and reducing number of droids in some areas.

* Re-applied droid filters where possible: used something more HK-like instead of slapping "mechanized" filter on them, which makes the VOs much easier to listen to. Unfortunately, there were few characters that I couldn't re-do that way due to losing source files (greeter droid and CS-45, most notably).

I feel like those changes, especially the reduced amount of walking part and VOs, are going to make the planet feel better and less annoying to play trough. Improved non-linearity is also a plus.

That's it for now. I'll release it some day! ;)

• Like 10

A lot of this information is news to me and nice to hear.

That being said, if you have questions about M4-78 EP - please stop asking me about it - as I am apparently no longer in the loop.

This may not be the ideal thread to bring it up, but given that the M4-78 installer is presumably to be fiddled with in the next upload, I feel I should point out specifically that many users are still experiencing problems with the TSLRCM creditless installer here on DS. I don't know if it happens for everyone, but myself and many of my users cannot select an install directory with the creditless installer, and it defaults to the LucasArts game disk directory.

I positively beg that this issue be resolved for the TSLRCM version hosted here, and point it out so, whatever happened, you can watch for it in the new version of M4-78. I can only hope not too many users have experienced problems because of it.

That's the first I hear about this. I tested it on my computer and I think you may have a left over TSLRCM's installation in the default folder.

I ran the installer twice, and it wouldn't let me change the directory the first time. Then I uninstalled TSLRCM via the uninstaller exe (it's in KOTOR2 folder, called unins000 or so - but uninstalling TSLRCM from the control panel will work, too). Then I ran the installer again and it let me select a folder properly.

That's the first I hear about this. I tested it on my computer and I think you may have a left over TSLRCM's installation in the default folder.

I ran the installer twice, and it wouldn't let me change the directory the first time. Then I uninstalled TSLRCM via the uninstaller exe (it's in KOTOR2 folder, called unins000 or so - but uninstalling TSLRCM from the control panel will work, too). Then I ran the installer again and it let me select a folder properly.

That's possible, and I'll test against that. I had a few users report the issue and I replicated it so I suspected it was the case, but it's possible it's only an issue for users who already have an installation.

Well good thing I just decided to delay my upcoming k2 playthrough. The changes sound great. Thanks for all the amazing work and for continuing to work on it.

If the music is still holding things up, I'd be happy to put together something 'Star Wars-y' as a replacement.  I've been writing/arranging music for a couple of decades and would be happy to come up with something appropriate if it would speed things along.

• Like 1

Yes.

Though I haven't worked on it in probably over a month, I don't have the time. Maybe I'll be able to get back to it next month?

• Like 2

Yes.

Though I haven't worked on it in probably over a month, I don't have the time. Maybe I'll be able to get back to it next month?

Well I hope so!

Thank you very much for your work on this wonderful addition . it is worth any wait needed..life happens and projects need to be delayed ....as long as it takes..there is no hurry

just much appreciate and thanks for your efforts. and i dont mind where the installer puts things. I like the old location myself but however it works. is fine.

CrisG

* Rewritten ending: Which might get patched out if people like that one even less :P

Seeing as the mod already utilizes the "CurSithLord=x" issue already, couldn't you have the alternate ending (or the original ending) be available using that .INI change?

I'd have to be really careful about globals, not to mess anything up, plus there'd probably be no more than 3 people to actually use the easter egg mode for the ending. It's not really worth it.

A 1.4 version is welcome but I think to wretches like me who meanwhile own retail and GOG version.

On a minor divergence, to save the bother of starting a whole new thread, anyone know what the song in M4-78's launch trailer is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8t4SFCWcfo

Zbyl2 made the trailer so he should know.  You might sending him a PM so he knows someone is asking about it.  (I don't think he's following this thread, my friend.)

• Like 1

Just to double-check before I install this: Is there any foreseen incompatibility between M4-78 1.2 and TSLRCM 1.8.5?

I think it goes together with 1.8.4, but  not sure what changed between that one and the new one.

Just to double-check before I install this: Is there any foreseen incompatibility between M4-78 1.2 and TSLRCM 1.8.5?

I think it goes together with 1.8.4, but  not sure what changed between that one and the new one.

This may not be the correct thread to be asking this question though I'll answer anyway.

TSLRCM is a requirement for M4-78EP to work or else it won't work. 1.8.5 and 1.2 work together with no problems though should anything arise it would be best to report it (Though it'd be rare to find an actual bug in the mods as of now, so don't worry too much about any problems).

• Like 1