Sign in to follow this  

KOTOR Comes to Xbox One X

I chose the PS4 over the Xboner, but I cannot deny Microsoft's BC policy absolutely kick's Sony's greedy ass out of the park. I love how their willing to port and enhance even original Xbox games like Kotor. Really, it just looks like the PC version with the Xbox hud design.

Is this a port of PC to Xbox one S or is a port of the original Xbox to Xbox One S?

If it is the second one I'm just going to suggest to anyone with the intent of buying it that this version of the game that there are exclusive features on the Xbox version such as for example in that scene shown in the video that Sith Soldier has a different voice actor which isn't in the PC version. Things like that can be ported to the PC version as mods. And though unlikely if a modder actually looks into the game files preferably the stream waves folder of the Xbox One S version they might even find cut lines that didn't make it onto PC though I find it unlikely.

Not worth it IMO, the PC version has long since surpassed its console counterpart; the breadth of mods alone should convince anyone of that. Nevertheless, it's a nice gesture all the same.

• Like 5

Not worth it IMO, the PC version has long since surpassed its console counterpart; the breadth of mods alone should convince anyone of that. Nevertheless, it's a nice gesture all the same.

Agreed. 

• Like 2

Not in every way.

This new version won't have a stupidly small HUD on higher resolutions, this new version will have good controller support.

It'll also introduce this Legends material to a new generation.

Awesome!

Still sad that Kotor II is not given the same love. 

Kotor II without TSLRCM + community fixes? Nah, no thanks.

Kotor II without TSLRCM + community fixes? Nah, no thanks.

I wish Obsidian would (or could because i'm sure they want to) do the same thing Piranha Bytes and Nordic Games did for the Gothic Collection: They included the Community Patch, which makes Gothic 3 playable, with their re-release as part of the games installation ! Obviously Obsidian is in a different spot than Piranha Bytes so a Kotor 2 re-release with TSLRCM on Xbone X is just a fever dream.

While I'm going to stick to my PC copies of KOTOR 1 and 2 for obvious reasons, I'm still really blown away by Microsoft's efforts with the Backwards Compatibility front. I'll probably end up picking up the Xbox One X one day when it's slightly cheaper, just because I'll be able to basically play all of my old OG Xbox and 360 games with some technical improvements. That, and hopefully some of the games that weren't on the 360's Backwards Compatible list can finally come back (Destroy All Humans! 1 being playable, but not 2 along with it on 360 for example).

Is this a port of PC to Xbox one S or is a port of the original Xbox to Xbox One S?

If it is the second one I'm just going to suggest to anyone with the intent of buying it that this version of the game that there are exclusive features on the Xbox version such as for example in that scene shown in the video that Sith Soldier has a different voice actor which isn't in the PC version. Things like that can be ported to the PC version as mods. And though unlikely if a modder actually looks into the game files preferably the stream waves folder of the Xbox One S version they might even find cut lines that didn't make it onto PC though I find it unlikely.

Do we know if there is anything different (in terms of content) about this version? It might be worth seeing if we can get our hands on the source files, though I suppose it might be unlikely or impossible for a few years

Master Chief Collection.

I'd love to get classic controller support for K1/TSL on PC.

Master Chief Collection.

I'd love to get classic controller support for K1/TSL on PC.

Although beginning my TSL journey on console, it's been so long that I can't even imagine playing either game with a controller  :hrhr:

• Like 4

Do we know if there is anything different (in terms of content) about this version? It might be worth seeing if we can get our hands on the source files, though I suppose it might be unlikely or impossible for a few years

Look it up on Youtube, in the raid scene shown in that comparison video the Sith Soldier has a different actor than his PC actor. All we'd need to do really is turn off sound effects and music and keep only the voice audio then record the screen as the scene plays then post it on Youtube and modders can turn that video into mp3 audio to replace the PC actor with the Xbox actor. It may be worth to try to look into the game files of the Xbox because if M4-78 and Droid Factory modules were left behind on the Kotor 2 Xbox version I'm sure something will be around on the Kotor 1 Xbox version though I doubt that.

There are a few minor NPC's with different appearances from their PC appearance but a simple Kotor Tool edit can recreate that.

I'd think the K1 on Xbox release would have much more junk files tbh

Because it was originally released there.

Who knows with K2.

So since I own an Xbox One and a copy of Kotor on the Xbox, I figured I might as well give it a shot.

It is indeed the xbox version. It does look like the pc version, but sadly it's 4 by 3. As you can easily hex edit the .xbe (exe) of many original Xbox titles to force them to run in widescreen (and many titles have native widescreen support) I am quiet disappointed that they didn't put in the extra effort to run the game in 16 by 9. 

The biggest advantage this has over the PC version is the perfect controller support, the fullscreen menu, not super tiny UI and subtitles that you can actually read when playing on a big tv. 

However, the text is pretty pixelated and so are all icons. The Yavin DLC is also not included, the content download part just informs you that Xbox Live is gone (RIP).

Overall, I am quiet impressed with Microsofts ambition when it comes to backward compatibility. The sole fact that I can pop in my disc instead of being forced to buy again is a huge plus. 

However, as someone who still owns an original xbox I'll stick to that. I can still use DLC on my OG Box and as I said many games run in widescreen, I can even get a digital output signal, though that one is 480p for most games. 

As for Kotor I'll still stick to the PC version for mod support alone (and you can get pretty good controller "support" with a ps4 controller), but I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has never played kotor before. Anyone's first playthrough should always be without mods anyway, and while Yavin is a nice addition, I certainly don't regret not having it on my first playthrough. It looks very good, has great controller support and seeing those menus full screen on that resolution is something I have been wanting to see for years. Should I feel like doing a vanilla playthrough I might consider this version, though I feel like I'd stick to my OG Xbox in the end. But a lot of people sell their old stuff or never had an Xbox to begin with, and I am really happy that they get to experience this modern classic once again in an updated version. I'd definitely recommend it over the PC version to anyone who has never played it before.

Oh and if anyone needs any files from the original Xbox version, I'll gladly provide them, just sent me a PM. I can't access the Xbox One version for obvious reasons though. And as for MCC: We'll see about their definition of fixing it. Halo CE alone has a hole website dedicated to how broken its MCC version is. And from what they have been communicating it seems like they still see the majority of issues in the UI/stability department, when the biggest issue is that none of the games play like the originals, especially CE and H2. If they actually manage to fix all issues, I'll be fine with their utter lag of 1st party titles.

And as for TSL: The Xbox One would probably run it at a stable 30 fps or even 60 fps. That alone would be such a massive improvement to that version of the game. Sure it'd still have broken quests and we all know how much is missing from that version. But I would certainly love to play it again at a stable framerate. Those massive framedrops are as worse as all the missing content. 

• Like 1

So since I own an Xbox One and a copy of Kotor on the Xbox, I figured I might as well give it a shot.

It is indeed the xbox version. It does look like the pc version, but sadly it's 4 by 3. As you can easily hex edit the .xbe (exe) of many original Xbox titles to force them to run in widescreen (and many titles have native widescreen support) I am quiet disappointed that they didn't put in the extra effort to run the game in 16 by 9. 

The biggest advantage this has over the PC version is the perfect controller support, the fullscreen menu, not super tiny UI and subtitles that you can actually read when playing on a big tv. 

However, the text is pretty pixelated and so are all icons. The Yavin DLC is also not included, the content download part just informs you that Xbox Live is gone (RIP).

Overall, I am quiet impressed with Microsofts ambition when it comes to backward compatibility. The sole fact that I can pop in my disc instead of being forced to buy again is a huge plus. 

However, as someone who still owns an original xbox I'll stick to that. I can still use DLC on my OG Box and as I said many games run in widescreen, I can even get a digital output signal, though that one is 480p for most games. 

As for Kotor I'll still stick to the PC version for mod support alone (and you can get pretty good controller "support" with a ps4 controller), but I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has never played kotor before. Anyone's first playthrough should always be without mods anyway, and while Yavin is a nice addition, I certainly don't regret not having it on my first playthrough. It looks very good, has great controller support and seeing those menus full screen on that resolution is something I have been wanting to see for years. Should I feel like doing a vanilla playthrough I might consider this version, though I feel like I'd stick to my OG Xbox in the end. But a lot of people sell their old stuff or never had an Xbox to begin with, and I am really happy that they get to experience this modern classic once again in an updated version. I'd definitely recommend it over the PC version to anyone who has never played it before.

Oh and if anyone needs any files from the original Xbox version, I'll gladly provide them, just sent me a PM. I can't access the Xbox One version for obvious reasons though. And as for MCC: We'll see about their definition of fixing it. Halo CE alone has a hole website dedicated to how broken its MCC version is. And from what they have been communicating it seems like they still see the majority of issues in the UI/stability department, when the biggest issue is that none of the games play like the originals, especially CE and H2. If they actually manage to fix all issues, I'll be fine with their utter lag of 1st party titles.

And as for TSL: The Xbox One would probably run it at a stable 30 fps or even 60 fps. That alone would be such a massive improvement to that version of the game. Sure it'd still have broken quests and we all know how much is missing from that version. But I would certainly love to play it again at a stable framerate. Those massive framedrops are as worse as all the missing content. 

Maybe Microsoft should contact Deadly Stream to restore the missing content.

• Like 1

Although beginning my TSL journey on console, it's been so long that I can't even imagine playing either game with a controller  :hrhr:

Same here, I started playing K1 and K2 way back during my last year of high school.

Anyone's first playthrough should always be without mods anyway, and while Yavin is a nice addition, I certainly don't regret not having it on my first playthrough. It looks very good, has great controller support and seeing those menus full screen on that resolution is something I have been wanting to see for years. Should I feel like doing a vanilla playthrough I might consider this version, though I feel like I'd stick to my OG Xbox in the end. But a lot of people sell their old stuff or never had an Xbox to begin with, and I am really happy that they get to experience this modern classic once again in an updated version. I'd definitely recommend it over the PC version to anyone who has never played it before.

Yeah, someone's first playthrough on a new game should be a vanilla playthrough. Still have my original Xbox, and I was actually playing around with my old K1 savegames for nostalgia's sake a few days ago.

That happened a lot on my original Xbox playthrough of K2. Half of the time when I entered combat, the framerate dropped drastically so much to the point where the game seemed to stop and start over and over.