Sign in to follow this  
Maphisto86

TSL Crashes After First Cutscene

Hello everyone.

I have a issue with KOTOR II: The Sith Lords that is not unknown but I have been unable to fix. The game crashes after character customation and the opening cutscene. Once the cutscene ends I hear some noise from the level but a black screen and then the game crashes. The only mod I have installed it The Sith Lords Restoration Mod, v. 1.8.5. The title shows on the main menu as expected but I don't think this is a mod issue, but I could be wrong. I am running the GOG version of the game and the TSLRCM is a fresh install. My computer is an Acer laptop running Intel graphics off the CPU, a Intel Core i5-6200U. I am running Windows 10.

I have not tried disabling movies just yet as I would rather they be able to play but so far all the other fixes I have tried have not worked. I have tried running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 10 Service Pack 3 and editing the .ini file to allow windowed mode but that has not worked like it did for KOTOR I. Any advice would be appreciated as I am out of ideas and searching the internet did not come up with a definite answer. 

First of all, you posted this in the wrong section. Secondly . . . 

Read this post. Follow the instructions. Bug reports for TSLRCM require the format in the linked thread.

You should know this second part already as you liked the post!

First of all, you posted this in the wrong section. Secondly . . . 

Read this post. Follow the instructions. Bug reports for TSLRCM require the format in the linked thread.

You should know this second part already as you liked the post!

I didn't think it was a mod problem but alas I admit I should have posted it in the TSLRCM section as the mod was included. Thank you for moving it to the correct spot in the forums. Here is what should have been my initial post.

1) During the game, when did the problem begin to occur?

Right after the first cutscene following character customization. The first mission does not even load but stays at a black screen monetarily before crashing.

2) Did you install the latest version of the mod? (1.8.5 and 1.2 respectively) We only provide assistance for the most current version of those mods.

Yes I installed version 1.8.5.

3) What version of the game do you have? (Steam, GOG, 4CD, KotOR Collection?) What region is the game designed for if it's the 4 CD version?

GOG.com version.

4) Did you update your game as required by your game's region? (4-CD version ONLY)

No.

5) Did you install this over the previous version(s), or did you perform a fresh installation as required by the TSLRCM's read-me file?

I performed a fresh install.

6) What other mods have you installed? Please give an accurate list and provide links to each of these mods - even if they are found on this site. (We don't actually know them all!.)

No other mods are installed.

7) Can you be more specific about the error? At what point did it happen?

The intro cutscene plays fine but upon completing or being skipped there is a black screen, some sound and then the game crashes.

8) Have you tried re-downloading/re-installing the mod?

No.

9) Have you tried using a different save game?

As it is the beginning of the game and I have no other saves, no I have not.

10) Have you tried starting a new game?

Repeatedly with the same problem cropping up at the same time.

11) What Operating System do you use? (List Virtual Machines as well if you are using them.)

Windows 10.

12) Can you confirm that you see the TSLRCM logo on the the main menu screen?

Yes the logo is there on the main menu.

13) What language is your game set for?

English.

14) Which language of TSLRCM are you using?

English.

15) Are you playing this on a laptop or a desktop computer?

A laptop computer using Intel Core i5-6200U CPU integrated graphics.

16) Did you install TSLRCM after you started your game?

No. I installed it before starting the game.

That might just be related to the integrated Intel GPU and not an issue with TSLRCM. Have you tried to start the game without TSLRCM installed?

No I have not yet. Can I uninstall the restoration mod or do I need to reinstall the game fresh? If it is my Intel graphics that is the case then I guess I will not be playing the game until I get a proper gaming computer.

Frame Buffer Effects are off by default when I enter the game.

No I have not yet. Can I uninstall the restoration mod or do I need to reinstall the game fresh? If it is my Intel graphics that is the case then I guess I will not be playing the game until I get a proper gaming computer.

I'd recommend a fresh installation. However, you can just rename the current installation folder, so once you installed the fresh version, you can switch between the vanilla and the TSLRCM version by simply renaming the folders.

You can try next: in swkotor2.ini

Graphics Options

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

Hello everyone.

I have a issue with KOTOR II: The Sith Lords that is not unknown but I have been unable to fix. The game crashes after character customation and the opening cutscene. Once the cutscene ends I hear some noise from the level but a black screen and then the game crashes. The only mod I have installed it The Sith Lords Restoration Mod, v. 1.8.5. The title shows on the main menu as expected but I don't think this is a mod issue, but I could be wrong. I am running the GOG version of the game and the TSLRCM is a fresh install. My computer is an Acer laptop running Intel graphics off the CPU, a Intel Core i5-6200U. I am running Windows 10.

I have not tried disabling movies just yet as I would rather they be able to play but so far all the other fixes I have tried have not worked. I have tried running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 10 Service Pack 3 and editing the .ini file to allow windowed mode but that has not worked like it did for KOTOR I. Any advice would be appreciated as I am out of ideas and searching the internet did not come up with a definite answer. 

I have heard that Disabling Visual Themes,desktop Composition and Display Scaling on High DPI setting(on the compatibility section of properties) will fix the Crashes that happen after the Cutscenes.(But I haven't tested that yet and I'm not completely sure it will work for you since it's a fix for Steam version)

This is just the fullscreen bug. Fixing it on an integrated chip is hit-and-miss, but you can try some of the suggestions here. Option five is the most time-consuming one, but also the one most likely to work. If you try everything in that list and the game still fails to launch, you're basically out of luck.

• Like 1

I did a fresh install of KOTOR 2 but alas the fullscreen bug struck again. Odd that the fullscreen bug is not much of a problem for KOTOR but for the sequel on my machine it defies being fixed. Thank you Snigaroo for the explanation and the links to the videos by Xuul on Youtube. I tried using Flawless Widescreen according to the instructions but sadly it didn't fix the issue. I guess KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords just does not like the integrated graphics I use. I will try again if and when I can afford a new machine.

I tried using Flawless Widescreen according to the instructions but sadly it didn't fix the issue.

To fix the issue, if it's possible to fix it on your setup at all, you need to follow the instructions in the second video linked in step five. The widescreen resolution doesn't provide the fix, it's just the base required for what does fix the issue, which is the upscaled cutscenes.

When I had an old laptop that ran on Haswell's integrated graphics, I just ran the game in windowed mode since full screen crashed it. Yeah the game didn't look as well as it should have, but I was still able to get a complete playthrough with TSLRCM installed.

To fix the issue, if it's possible to fix it on your setup at all, you need to follow the instructions in the second video linked in step five. The widescreen resolution doesn't provide the fix, it's just the base required for what does fix the issue, which is the upscaled cutscenes.

Thank you for your patience and advice. I am currently editing the videos now per Xuul's instructions. I will edit this post when I have finished everything and checked the game.

Update

I followed the video tutorial as best I could and believe I did everything correctly but the game still refuses to cooperate with my integrated graphics. At least I have pretty HD cutscenes to look at. In all seriousness though, thank you for your assistance everyone. I decided to try the Steam version of the game and for whatever reason it does not crash at the beginning of the game.