bead-v

MDLedit bug reporting thread

230 posts in this topic

So going back to the bone limit issue, it definitely seems like in K1 at least that 18 or more bones on a mesh is not possible. I am testing a full body model and I had split apart the head/torso/arm meshes to sidestep the bone limit but I didn't pay close attention and had some stray weights on the head and split the arms off one ring of verts too low. That meant the torso ended up with weights for the two lower biceps for a total count of 17 bones. Interestingly I noticed no problems with this mesh. However, the head had stray weights from both collar bones, resulting in 18 bones. This caused the previously described verts stretching to the model base's 0,0,0 (appeared to be verts weighted to the right brow).

I went back and had a look at the vanilla Holo Vandar (C_HoloVandar) and Revan (N_DarthRevan) models, as I had previously reported that those both had meshes with more than 16 bones and yet worked fine. Vandar's head mesh has 17 bones and Revan's torso mesh has 17 bones. So it seems to me the bone limit is 17, not 16, but that is definitely the upper limit.

On a different note, I noticed when loading a binary model into MDLEdit that the bones listed for a given mesh were wrong. It looked like that old index issue where it was being wrongly assigned things like dummies (camerahook, etc.) and other skinned meshes. This appears to only be a cosmetic issue inside MDLEdit however, as decompiling the model resulted in the same mesh in the ASCII having the correct bones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 11:19 PM, bead-v said:

In order to automate this, I could fairly easily do the following in mdledit: on decompilation, if there is a .wok file and no aabb node, generate a dummy aabb node.

Could you give a sample of said dummy aabb node, in case I want to make my life more difficult?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 8:09 AM, DarthParametric said:

So going back to the bone limit issue, it definitely seems like in K1 at least that 18 or more bones on a mesh is not possible. I am testing a full body model and I had split apart the head/torso/arm meshes to sidestep the bone limit but I didn't pay close attention and had some stray weights on the head and split the arms off one ring of verts too low. That meant the torso ended up with weights for the two lower biceps for a total count of 17 bones. Interestingly I noticed no problems with this mesh. However, the head had stray weights from both collar bones, resulting in 18 bones. This caused the previously described verts stretching to the model base's 0,0,0 (appeared to be verts weighted to the right brow).

I went back and had a look at the vanilla Holo Vandar (C_HoloVandar) and Revan (N_DarthRevan) models, as I had previously reported that those both had meshes with more than 16 bones and yet worked fine. Vandar's head mesh has 17 bones and Revan's torso mesh has 17 bones. So it seems to me the bone limit is 17, not 16, but that is definitely the upper limit.

Okay, so there is space in the MDL for two more bones beyond 16. However, because we never found more than 16 bones (didn't look hard enough, as it seems), we assumed that was just padding (an otherwise common situation in the MDL). Anyway, I checked Vandar's model, and the first part of the padding corresonds to the index it's supposed to have, so at least that one is still a bone index and not padding. If that is the case, I'm thinking the last one must also be a bone index. It's possible that it didn't work before because mdledit was configured to only put 16 indices in there and ignore the rest. Maybe with the attached version of mdledit, 18 bones will work.
 

On 9/4/2018 at 8:09 AM, DarthParametric said:

On a different note, I noticed when loading a binary model into MDLEdit that the bones listed for a given mesh were wrong.

I'll look into this some other time.

On 9/5/2018 at 8:11 AM, LiliArch said:

Could you give a sample of said dummy aabb node, in case I want to make my life more difficult?

What I meant was that mdledit would automatically add an empty aabb node. If you want to fix the issue, you just need to add a mesh in kotormax, make it a descendant of the OdysseyBase and apply the OdysseyWalkmesh modifier with the Type set to Aabb. Mdledit crashes when compiling aabb nodes without geometry, so the mesh should have at least one face. This is already fixed and when it's released, you'll be able to add an empty aabb node via the ascii simply as:
 

node aabb NEW_AABB
    parent BASE_NAME
endnode

 

mdledit_v1.0.102b.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 5:27 AM, bead-v said:

However, because we never found more than 16 bones (didn't look hard enough, as it seems), we assumed that was just padding

P_JuhaniBB has a case of 17 too. Not really helpful information now, but I happened to notice that the other day.

And continuing with the tangent space calculation issue, I've encountered it with another model and I've attached more files in case they'll help. This is an MMO model, but it's the same problem as before - smoothing errors across UV islands, only with normal map enabled.

(Please ignore any other problems with the model. Oh, and the binary is for K2.)

Tangent Space Troubles with Ported Underwear.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some issues when compiling models with a Flex/danglymesh it would seem. The hood on the Revan/Star Forge robes for example:

Revan_Robe_Hood_Danglymesh_MDLEdit_TH.gi

Interestingly the hood seems to "dance" even in the vanilla version:

Revan_Robe_Hood_Danglymesh_Vanilla_TH.gi

But clearly it gets mangled when MDLEdit compiles it. The version compiled by MDLOps looks the same as the vanilla version. Files attached.

Revan_Robes_Danglymesh_Test.7z

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now