DarthParametric

DP's Droid Foundry v2.0

Keep up the good work and I'm going to start fanboying. With caps lock.

Added another head variant. I figured I'd primarily use it for S4-C8 in the Pazaak Den on Nar Shaddaa in TSL. For K1 I'm not sure.

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_09_TH.jpg

Edit: D'oh, forgot to enable the normal map. Again. Changed to revised video.

• Like 2

Amazing... as always :)

Is the golden one intended to be B4-D4?

Repost for the new page:

Added another head variant. I figured I'd primarily use it for S4-C8 in the Pazaak Den on Nar Shaddaa in TSL. For K1 I'm not sure.

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_09_TH.jpg

Is the golden one intended to be B4-D4?

Nah, it's just a generic one. And it was more just to see how it looked. It needs some adjustment I think, maybe desaturate it a bit or otherwise tweak the colour.

I'll do a specific texture for B4-D4 with the extra black bits and Czerka logo, like his vanilla texture. I'm working on the Republic ship droid (C2-N2) head at the moment. I might give him that one (not sure whether to keep it unique).

====

Edit: I figured it might be good to show some actual work-in-progress in this WIP thread, so here are some updates as I progress on the new head (missing some intermediate steps at the beginning):

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_10_TH.jpg

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_11_TH.jpg

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_12_TH.jpg

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_13_TH.jpg

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_14_TH.jpg

And last update for today:

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_15_TH.jpg

That's an evening's work, spread over about ~6-7 hours. It's about 3/4 done I'd say, just the back section, the neck, and a few touchups to finish it off, then on to the high poly.

====

Edit 2: Continuing on, the back half of the head is now complete, although progress has been significantly slowed by some weird multiple BSOD issue I suddenly experienced today.

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_16_TH.jpg

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_17_TH.jpg

And I think it's done:

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_18_TH.jpg

Next is UV mapping, then making a high poly, then it's on to baking and texturing.

• Like 9

I've been away from Kotor for too long, these new droid models will be a great way to play the game again. I love all of the variety in these high quality models. 

• Like 1

I think the biggest problem I'll have with using this mod is gonna be the fact that everything not affected by this mod will just look sad in comparison haha.

• Like 1

I'm working on the Republic ship droid (C2-N2) head at the moment. I might give him that one (not sure whether to keep it unique).

I wonder if you'll be doing the Imperial ship droid as well.

(I'm also wondering how I'll be able get these droids into any version of M4-78 EP that I do a video for but that's something that I'll have to wonder about after these are released. LOL)

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_19_TH.jpg

I wonder if you'll be doing the Imperial ship droid as well.

No. That thing always looked like it was screaming to me, with its giant wide open "mouth". I never liked the design.

I might do one more head in the style of the vanilla KOTOR protocol droid. Not sure yet.

I'm also wondering how I'll be able get these droids into any version of M4-78 EP that I do a video for

As I said earlier in the thread, it would be a simple appearance.2da and/or UTC edit. Nothing particularly arduous.

• Like 1

I might do one more head in the style of the vanilla KOTOR protocol droid. Not sure yet.

That would be awesome. I'd love to add the variety of your droids to my KotOR games but I wouldn't want to loose the vanilla design and a hybrid version similar to your hybrid HK droids would allow me to do that.

And as I haven't said it before: Those droids look awesome!

• Like 3

Now that they have finally broken cover, I can say very special thanks to bead-v for KOTORmax and MDLedit, without which getting these models into the game would not be possible, and ndix UR for TGA2TPC, which allows for the creation of functional tangent space normal maps.

==================================

Got the classic style head mostly done, just need to add the neck and tweak a few things:

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_20_TH.jpg

Edit: OK, I think that's about it. On to unwrapping, creating the high poly, and texturing.

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_21_TH.jpg

• Like 6

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_22_TH.jpg

In-game test:

It may be a tad too shiny (although I am still using the vanilla CM_Baremetal, haven't tried it with other envmaps yet.). Also I think the normal intensity of the damage needs to be toned down a bit, at least on the head. And the colour is still a bit anaemic looking.

• Like 5

It looks absolutely fantastic! AND it fixes one of my biggest pet peeves: the droid arms clipping through their shoulders xD

I'm not sure the "classic style" head fits B4-D4 very much. It's very simplistic and old-school and I think a better place for that head would be other protocol droids on Citadel Station or some old, worn-out droid models in the game, as a droid with that head looks cheap, while B4-D4 is a shiny, representative model. Perhaps a C2-N2 head or another, exclusive one? This looks decent:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e0/cc/f1/e0ccf196173e56ebd3ababaff8aa4220.jpg

Also, are you planning to add the collar around the neck to C2-N2? Also, C2's head seems too small in terms of proportions (but this may be a subjective feeling).

I'm not planning on adding any more heads. I had originally intended to use the Republic droid head for B4-D4. I still may, nothing is finalised yet. As to that collar thing, god no, that thing looks retarded.

I'll probably move on to something else like the war and assassin droids for a while now.

• Like 1

It may be a tad too shiny (although I am still using the vanilla CM_Baremetal, haven't tried it with other envmaps yet.). Also I think the normal intensity of the damage needs to be toned down a bit, at least on the head. And the colour is still a bit anaemic looking.

If you address all that, I think the outcome should be spot on. The only other thing I'd suggest is making the Czerka logo completely horizontal, even if you have to make it a bit smaller for it.

Edit reason: My brain died for a second while writing that sentence.

Edited by bead-v

Loving the progress here.
As for feedback the eyes "could" be changed to a light yellow like other protocol droids in this era(although I think the red looks fine) and the classic head fits B4D4 in my honest opinion.
I cant wait to see more :D

The red eyes for B-4D4 look a little too creepy. Is this deliberate?

Loving the progress here.

As for feedback the eyes "could" be changed to a light yellow like other protocol droids in this era(although I think the red looks fine) and the classic head fits B4D4 in my honest opinion.

I think original B4-D4 has more pink-ish eyes. So maybe lightening his eyes a little. That said, all of this is amazing, and I can't wait for release

I've been poking through the modules of both games, looking for specific NPCs to replace. Here's what I've come up with so far:

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Replacement_Chart_01_

Some of these will require unique entries in appearance.2da, presumably with some sort of custom texture/model configuration, but others will just be a case of simply assigning a specific model/texture based on what order they get assigned as replacements for the vanilla models. Everything else should just draw from appearance.2da as per usual, and get whatever their replacement is. Although if anyone has suggestions for further additions that warrant specific customisation, let me know.

Seeing as I added the protocol droid on Dantooine in TSL at the end, I should probably also edit that door guarding droid in K1 to imply they are the same droid.

• Like 5

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Seeing as I added the protocol droid on Dantooine in TSL at the end, I should probably also edit that door guarding droid in K1 to imply they are the same droid.

Yes please!

My Griff mod, which is really a tiny K1 mod and a sprawling K2 mod, is ultimately about continuity. And drinking.

I support all endeavors connecting the games.