DarthParametric

DP's Droid Foundry v2.0

A bit of 3C-FD action:

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_3C-FD_01_TH

I haven't done the textures for the smaller side eye things yet, so those are just some solid colour placeholders.

And T3 with the old school head, for those so inclined:

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_T3-M4_02_TH

• Like 7

Here's the creatively named "head variant 2". Boxhead maybe?

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v2_01_

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v2_02_

Also tweaking the in-game appearance of T7's textures:

I still need to play with it a bit more. Trying to deal with Odyssey's terrible and limited cube map system always drives me mental.

• Like 4

8L-CK and D1-SC?

Yes please.

I was going to say flathead, you know, like the fish.

Or the screwdriver. :P

• Like 1

Head variant 4. Domehead?

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v4_01_

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v4_02_

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v4_03_

I haven't figured out what to do with the inset panels on the head yet, so those are just grey placeholders for now. I also forgot to change the red paint on the rear wheel so ignore that.

This one is intended to be more of a shiny metal one than the others. Not sure how that will work out in practice in-game though.

• Like 1

Head variant 4. Domehead?

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v4_01_

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v4_02_

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v4_03_

I haven't figured out what to do with the inset panels on the head yet, so those are just grey placeholders for now. I also forgot to change the red paint on the rear wheel so ignore that.

This one is intended to be more of a shiny metal one than the others. Not sure how that will work out in practice in-game though.

You mean D0-M3? :)

• Like 5

Of course, my mistake. Naturally then head variant 5, conehead, would be C0-N3:

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v5_01_

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v5_02_

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Head_v5_03_

Once again, still haven't figured out what to do with the inset panels around the base of the head, so those are just a dark grey placeholder for now.

So that's all the base textures for each variant done. Now I just need to add a couple of colour variants and then I can spend hours pulling my hair out trying to get them to look half-decent in-game.

Edit: Since I am no longer restricted by the original animations, I figured I might as well expand on my addition of the rear wheel animations and tackle one of the things that has always annoyed me. Namely, the lack of a door on the probe arm bay. I had to leave it open when I originally designed the model to use the vanilla animations, but no longer!

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Probe_Bay_D

Although I probably should have made this decision before doing all the bloody textures.....

Edit 2: I've added the probe bay door animations:

The rear wheel animations need some tweaking (and I think I missed one). I used TCB rotation, which was a mistake in hindsight as it made a real mess of the interpolation between keyframes. It might be simpler to re-do it from scratch rather than try to clean up the existing anims.

I'm also half-tempted to actually add a proper manipulator arm like R2 has on the lefthand side, seeing as the existing "probe" is basically a welding torch. Not sure he should be poking that everywhere. But I think I will desist for now. Maybe that's a project for the future.

Edit 3: Of course naturally I can't help myself...

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Utility_Arm

Order now for a complimentary integrated data spike, for all your slicing and people stabbing needs:

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Astromech_Utility_Arm

• Like 12

Have you figured how to resolve your issue with that red to blue animation circle that was present on the original R2-D2 prop?

The processor state indicator? I just went with a slow 3 frame animation. You can see it in the video several posts back - http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/5407-dps-droid-foundry-v20/?p=57483

I believe that I saw it before I went to work the day you put it up.  I may be talking out of my depth here but I'll blunder along . . . can that portion of the texture be yet another texture that just covers that area?  If you could do that, that might allow you to have more frames on that animation and reduce the hit from the rest of the model.  Again, I might not be phrasing this correctly but I hope you get what I'm saying.

It's already its own texture, as are the "eyes" and the logic display (thing with patterns of dots). There's no real limitation at play, it's a conscious choice based on what you see in the Original Trilogy.

• Like 1

Got a first pass done. Still need to pick out some of the details, fiddle with the weathering, and fix up a couple of remaining bake errors.

SWTOR_Style_Droids_Protocol_07_TH.jpg

In-game test. As usual, struggling with Odyssey's terrible rendering butchering things.

• Like 5