I. The bugs (SPOILERS)
II. The bugs - technical description
III. Installation
IV. Other mods
V. Old savegames
VI. Changelog
VII. Disclaimers and permissions.

I. The bugs (SPOILERS)

After you've kissed Bastila, you can have a final conversation with her where the romance gets put on hold "until Malak is defeated". Two later dialogs potentially have lines that bring up the romance. These dialogs have bugs:

First, confronting Evil Bastila on Temple Summit, on Rakata:
- if you've had that post-kiss conversation with her, the game will not recognize the romance, and you will miss out on certain dialog options.

Second, the final confrontation with Bastila on the Star Forge has an opposite problem:
- If you've sunk the romance completely, for example by saying "Sorry, Bastila, that starship won't fly", the game will mistakenly give you the romance dialogue option.

Of course Kotor 1 players have known for years that Bastila's romance is buggy, and several attempted fixes already exist. But these modify Bastila's dialog file from the Ebon Hawk conversations, so 1. they don't fix the second situation, on the Star Forge, and 2. they don't help a player whose savegame is already past the kiss+conversation part.

This modification fixes both situations directly. Now you will get romance-related dialogue options on Rakata and the Star Forge regardless of whether you've discussed the kiss with her afterwards, but you will not get these options if you've shot her down.

II. The bugs - technical description
(you may safely skip this)

The romance is controlled by the variable K_SWG_BASTILA. Once you've completed Bastila's plot it should have one of these values:
K_SWG_BASTILA = 12: kissed Bastila = romance active
K_SWG_BASTILA = 13: kissed Bastila AND talked afterwards = romance active
K_SWG_BASTILA = 99: romance sunk (or unavailable because the PC is female)

The Temple Summit dialog only recognizes the romance if the value is 12, which is why common advice to players is to not talk to Bastila after the kiss.

The Star Forge dialog only recognizes the romance if the value is greater than 12, which means it will mistakenly recognize it even if it's 99, and may fail to recognize it if you didn't talk to Bastila after the kiss.

To further complicate things, some of the Temple Summit dialog's endings run a script that sets the value to 13, even when it was 99. This mistakenly restores a killed romance for players who wanted to just stay friends.

My fixed scripts recognize the romance at values 12 and 13 in both dialogs, as well as prevent the mistaken reactivation when it was 99.

III. Installation

Unzip, copy the files from Override into your game's Override folder.

IV. Other mods

Compatible with any mod out there that doesn't modify the same script files, or redesign the romance too much (i.e. the K_SWG_BASTILA variable behaves the same way).

Compatible with K1R. At the time I'm writing this K1R contains a different Bastila romance fix, but that simply becomes irrelevant if my mod is present. Its changes to Bastila's dialog file neither hurt nor help.

For authors of mods that allow a female PC x Bastila romance: I provide a version of my fix that removes the gender check. "Use it well. Use it for good." ;) Players should note that this does NOT automatically make my fix compatible with such mods - it depends on how these mods are written. Consult the authors to be sure.

The mod was tested with the GOG version, and I expect it'll work fine with the old retail/CD versions too. I will not be testing the Steam version, and I make no guarantees about it at all. (PSA: Don't get gaming classics from Steam, kids - good old games are the speciality of Good Old Games, duh.)

V. Old savegames

Compatible with pre-existing savegames, including past the kiss+conversation on the Ebon Hawk, up until the Temple Summit confrontation with Dark Bastila.

Savegames from past the Temple Summit may fail to benefit from the fix fully, especially if your character's relationship with Bastila is supposed to be platonic.

VI. Changelog

1.0 -> 1.1:
- Players who were deliberately NOT romancing Bastila could still sometimes get romantic lines in the second confrontation, on the Star Forge. This is properly fixed now; there was one more offending script to take care of.
- [by request] added a variant without a gender check, so that this fix can (potentially) be used with mods that allow a female x Bastila romance.

VII. Disclaimers and permissions.

The usual stuff applies. The mod is provided as-is and with no guarantees; by installing it, you accept it may melt your computer, cause nuclear war, and hasten the heat death of the Universe.

Distribute freely, including incorporating it in your mods, as long as you give credit.

• Like 6

I was  not aware of the Star Forge content requireing the post-kiss scene conversation... Can I include this mod into K1R, or  would you prefer it be kept separate?

If separate, can I link to this mod in the read-me and mod page?

• Like 3

Is this compatible with the FemRevan/Bastila mods? Like The Romancing of Bastila for example? Or do I have to remove the GetGender actions from your fixed scripts and would that be all? I'm kinda new to this and don't really know what I'm doing, but I did take a look at both your source scripts and the BastyRom source scripts and I tried to understand them. To my limited comprehension besides the fact that you have 4 scripts and the bastyrom only 2, they have no GetGenders in there but the bugged variable checks.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:51 AM, PsychoWedge said:

Is this compatible with the FemRevan/Bastila mods? Like The Romancing of Bastila for example? Or do I have to remove the GetGender actions from your fixed scripts and would that be all? I'm kinda new to this and don't really know what I'm doing, but I did take a look at both your source scripts and the BastyRom source scripts and I tried to understand them. To my limited comprehension besides the fact that you have 4 scripts and the bastyrom only 2, they have no GetGenders in there but the bugged variable checks.

I don't know, since I haven't looked at those other mods. All other romance fix mods are basically redundant if you have my mod, but shouldn't conflict. As to other changes - you'd have to look at the code. Yeah, the gender checks might have to go if you want to romance her as a woman.

Next time I have Kotor installed I'll look if they were even useful in the first place, or if I can just remove them from the mod. IIRC I copied them from some preexisting script, and I imagine the original programmers put them in there as a kind of sanity check.

Well, it took me forever before I was able to look at Kotor again - I'd burnt out. But anyway, I uploaded an improved version of the bugfix. I fixed an issue that gave people romantic options on the Star Forge even when the romance was supposed to be inactive.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:51 AM, PsychoWedge said:

My new upload also contains a variant without the gender check.

Can this variant be used with the "Romancing of Bastila" mod? Based on just examining the files from that other mod, I think so. That mod contains its own versions of the romance-checking scripts from the Star Forge dialog, but I see those are the same buggy ones as vanilla, except with the gender check removed. So if you replace with mine, logically you should get the same result, except with the benefit of my bugfix. But that's just from me eyeballing the files; feel free to playtest.

While looking for that mod (your link no longer works) I also found "Bastila & Female Revan (Untold Love Story)". Amusingly, that mod might actually require my fix to fully work. Since I see it has no changes to scripts, which means the vanilla gender check will be there on the Star Forge, unless replaced with my no-gender-check variant. But again, I'm just eyeballing the files.

If there are any other FemRevan/Bastila mods, I'm not aware of them.