djh269

Music (Non - Star wars)

Hello all, 

I wish to gauge some people in what they listen to, truth be told most of the songs I've found and really liked have actually been on TV shows. And if truth be told when I was younger the music I enjoyed the most was Reggae / Hip hop. I ignored most other types of music and avoided listening to the radio altogether, and my little sister has a better music knowledge than I do these days haha. Most songs I list to her via email she's already heard a year before I've ever even knew it existed haha (I've only discovered Pearl Jam in the last week). 

So, does anybody have any songs that have a heavy Piano, Violin or saxophone influence? It doesn't have to be limited to an English based song. 

Here is a list of the last few songs I've heard, liked and saved. They're in no particular genre:

Billie Eilish - Six Feet Under 

The Last Kingdom Soundtrack (Uhtreds sons death)

knockin' on heaven's door piano (Lucifer TV show version)

Medley - Deborah Loves Rudy 

Ludovico Einaudi-Nuvole Bianche

John Swihart - You're all alone

Comptine d'Un Autre Été- Die fabelhafte Welt der Amélie Piano 

The Vikings are told of ragnars death (Vikings Season 3 soundtrack)

The Middle East - Deep Water

Massive Attack - Paradise Circus

Jesus and Lafayette (true blood, 0.15 seconds in)

Daughter - Candles

The Shins - Simple Song

Peacock Affect - I wrote this in the dark

Wardruna - Helvegen (The Way To Hel)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know I said Non - Star wars music but here's my favorite violin song at the moment: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5_dZ-AksHg
  • Like 1

There is a youtube channel called "ThePianoGuys" that plays several pieces with cellos and pianos.

Also there is Lindsey Stirling who is a violinist. You could find most of her work on youtube.

• Like 1

There is a youtube channel called "ThePianoGuys" that plays several pieces with cellos and pianos.

Also there is Lindsey Stirling who is a violinist. You could find most of her work on youtube.

I believe I'm subscribed to ThePianoGuys already. 

Lindsey Sterling's a new one. Thanks jc2! 

I'm falling in love with these guys music: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0xCI1jaUM

I'd love to go crazy on a Cello like that. 

• Like 2

IIRC one of the two cellists is from my hometown :lol:

• Like 2

IIRC one of the two cellists is from my hometown :lol:

Haha, it's a small world I guess  :lol:

• Like 1

Haha, it's a small world I guess  :lol:

Zazu: It's a small world, after all...

Scar: No, no. Anything but that!

I mostly just listen to certain video game or anime soundtracks. Some movies too (Like Blade Runner and Mad Max Fury Road for example). It depends on what I feel like listening to, I suppose. I've been listening to some Carpenter Brut and Gorillaz as of late.

I mostly just listen to certain video game or anime soundtracks. Some movies too (Like Blade Runner and Mad Max Fury Road for example). It depends on what I feel like listening to, I suppose. I've been listening to some Carpenter Brut and Gorillaz as of late.

I love listening to movie soundtracks. 

Carpenter Brut is a new one for me but I've been listening to Gorillaz for a while now, they're great. 

• Like 1

I've heard of his channel for a couple of month, he has a version of The Force Theme that lasts an hour that's pretty spectacular.

A lot of his videos keep getting taken down though, so I'd look out for that.

yea, but he has a lot if his own work aswell
  • Like 1

yea, but he has a lot if his own work aswell

Apologies that came out wrong haha, I should of said "He has a lot of good videos, but some are getting taken down so don't be too upset when you can't find it". Apologies. 

Did anyone watch the last episode of Flash? That paired with this song almost bought a tear to my eye: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwdGRHl5Mw

• Like 1

In honor of the recently passed Chris Cornell, here are some of my favorite performances of his.

These are all songs you won't typically find on any "Best of" lists. Nonetheless, I believe these more accurately represent what he was capable of.

Beyond the Wheel

Just to show off his famously high vocal range. Man he could really belt out those high notes. Definitely a grunge/metal kind of feel to it, which is why I like it so much.

Like a Stone (acoustic)

So there are two versions of this song. The album version is a little more upbeat and melancholic, but this acoustic version is much more longing and heartbreaking.
When asked by bassist Tim Commerford what the song was about, he responded "It's about waiting to die"

Black Rain

Nominated for the Grammy in 2011 for Best Hard Rock Performance, but lost to New Fang by Them Crooked Vultures. They were robbed if you ask me. I love this song.

Oh, I should also mention that he was 47 during this performance. Most rock vocalists by this age have pretty much lost their voices

Reach Down

An 11 minute ballad Chris wrote for his friend who had recently committed suicide. This features some of his best vocals and an amazing solo courtesy of Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready. I know 11 minutes seems long, but it is well worth the listen.
  • Like 5

Now this is a reply!

I really like the songs you've posted. Like a Stone is a heartbreaking song, I'd love to have heard him sing it live. RIP. 

• Like 3

Oh yes, I love music threads. Partly because I have a very eclectic music taste and I love sharing it with other people.

First thing's first though, I am an extreme metalhead.

Gojira - Vacuity

Amazing metal band from France and surprisingly popular despite their aggressive sound. The Duplantier brothers are among my favorite musicians.

Opeth - The Grand Conjuration

The equivalent of Rush in death metal. Their style now is akin to the 70s prog rock sound of Yes, Goblin, and Genesis of whom they were so influenced by.

Mudvayne - Beautiful and Strange

Yeah, I'm one of those guys banging the table for a Mudvayne reunion. By far the best band to come out of the late 90s nu metal scene.

Stormlord - Dimension: Hate

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Symphonic black metal. Criminally underrated.

Kalmah - Human Fates

Think Stormlord, but WAY better. They Will Return has to be in my top ten favorite albums ever.

Periphery - Ragnarok

Not the biggest fan of djent, but Periphery is pretty solid.

And I would put two billion Alice in Chains songs but I don't want to steal VP's fire. Anyways, I grew up listening to Rush, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, ZZ Top, Joe Satriani, and essentially ever band of note from the 70's and 80's.

Outside of metal, grunge, and classic rock, I do want to give a note to Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, BB King and the other phenomenal blues/jazz musicans to come out of Chicago and Louisiana.

And finally, uh, Public Enemy is amazing. Listen to Fear of a Black Planet. Phenomenal album. Not the biggest fan of hip-hop and rap outside of old-school stuff.

• Like 1

Hello, and be well y'all! :cheers:

These are some music that I have been listening mostly this year; and mostly wasn't released in 2018 neither lol:

• The Disconnect
    Spoiler
    Early this year I'm most into Metal-HC stuffs [again] particularly Counterparts. After the hiatus of most Metalcore bands, I found Counterparts is still the most relevant band [from the particular style] to heard on to.

• Traveller
    Spoiler
    I switch a lot between music preferences; when I wanted to chill and relax- I'm mostly listening to Vanilla's.

• Demiurge
    Spoiler
    Been a fan of Meshuggah since obZen; and when in need on that dose of insanity- I'd listen to them mostly.

• The Great Gig In The Sky
    Spoiler
    When you wanted to take your brain to a 5 minutes vacation, this masterpiece is a place to go to.

• The Revanchist
    Spoiler
    Probably the only 2018's released music that I have heard to lol. Hahah- yeah, to tell truth I found this song when surfing through the dark side of the net to find any relevance of KotOR's Revanchist but I stumbled to this song instead. I'm not disappointed, the song is cool coming from an awesome band which most of them songs are kind of themed with the Old Republic era- the way I heard them; and you should probably listen to Kirisute Gomen also which song was so intense!

• Two Tens Madam
    Spoiler
    I listen to Dego & Kaidi's [Kaidi Tatham] while working on a project, like mostly. They were somewhat inspiring for me- the music. Cool stuffs!
Edited by ebmar

I'm an old school metal fan here's one of my favorite bands Metallica.  I prefer 80 and 90's Metallica.  Here are two of my favorite songs:

The first one is one of their most disturbing songs.  

Here is one of their most popular songs Unforgiven: