djh269

A Jedi Academy model into Kotor/TSL (all above perfectly legal)

After browsing through https://jkhub.org recently I've noticed that a lot of the mods have this as the license:

• License: Other players may modify and share this work so long as they provide credit to the original author.
I then found this awesome mod and thought it would be great if they replaced the jedi council model you see in Dantooine and on the Star forge: 

https://jkhub.org/files/file/2234-jedi-temple-guard/

This request is all above board as long as the model and everything was completely new when it was made. 

I was going to originally request this model to be placed into Kotor/TSL, but I've noticed that Sithspecter already has completed a very good Boba fett model: 

https://jkhub.org/files/file/1516-boba-fett/

Here are some other ideas that can be used for new/improved aliens and characters:

I didn't think this request was going to be an easy one. I thought the model would be the biggest issue. I saw other Jedi academy models and hoped it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. 

JK models are a bit of a pain with all the extra bits for limb dismemberment that need to be discarded, but that's not the real problem. Typically you'd need to reskin them from scratch, and unfortunately there just aren't many (or any?) skinners left in the KOTOR modding scene.

I don't think that the JK models have the proper body proportions to look well in KotOR.

On the other hand, while looking at SWTOR Revan mod for JK I realized that it would be neat to have a mod like that for KotOR, but with cape.

The body proportions are fine, they just need some scaling and minor limb repositioning:

JKA_Jedi_Temple_Guardian_Scaled_TH.jpg

It's the skinning the mesh to the KOTOR skeleton that is the primary issue.

That wasn't wise of you to mention. Now I'm officially hyped for SWTOR Revan, perhaps even without the cape.

djh269 also forgot to mention that the same author who released male Revan also released a female version, it just hasn't the hood. It is also untestrictive in terms of license, and perhaps after editing and head-cutting these should also work as J model replacement. For compatibility with BoS:SR though, it would probably require re-UVmapping for the mask texture to be in the same place as usually.

And texture remaking would not be as painful considering that these textures look so awful that they would look awful even on vanilla KotOR so that it would be necessary anyway.

Not that I'm pushing you or anyone else, it just wasn't wise of you to show that the body proportions are good and it would be possible to include these models without re-doing, making this more likely to happen and making me hyped.

That wasn't wise of you to mention. Now I'm officially hyped for SWTOR Revan, perhaps even without the cape.

djh269 also forgot to mention that the same author who released male Revan also released a female version, it just hasn't the hood. It is also untestrictive in terms of license, and perhaps after editing and head-cutting these should also work as J model replacement. For compatibility with BoS:SR though, it would probably require re-UVmapping for the mask texture to be in the same place as usually.

And texture remaking would not be as painful considering that these textures look so awful that they would look awful even on vanilla KotOR so that it would be necessary anyway.

Not that I'm pushing you or anyone else, it just wasn't wise of you to show that the body proportions are good and it would be possible to include these models without re-doing, making this more likely to happen and making me hyped.

I didn't know if the TOR models are ripped from the game though. 

I could of mentioned many more, like new: Selkath, Jawa, Mandalorians, Tusken raider and Sith officers models but they aren't allowed to be modified. 

I also thought I found a new Bastila model in this: https://jkhub.org/files/file/2909-bastila-shan/

But it's pretty much a rip haha. 

it just wasn't wise of you to show that the body proportions are good and it would be possible to include these models without re-doing, making this more likely to happen and making me hyped.

It's not like it is a secret. There have been several ports of JKA models in the past, like the movie style robe models.

You may also want to check these mods, they all have models ported from JKO/JKA:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/64-movie-style-jedi-master-robes/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/63-movie-mandalorians/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/416-tsl-clone-wars-armors/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/413-tsl-prequel-robe-replacement/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/412-kotor-prequel-robe-replacement/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/392-k1-clone-wars-armors/

Please note that models in Kainzorus Prime's mods were also made by me.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Kain's NPC overhaul have a ported Haps Imperial Officer model. At least, I converted that model for him  ;)

BEFORE ANYONE ASKS: sorry folks, I'm completely off-modding these days, so NO, I will not take any requests.

• Like 1

Perhaps having a tutorial would be preferable than asking someone else to do it.

Agreed, but unfortunately I won't write one - it's too difficult for me to describe such things in English. Even in my first language it will be mostly *censored* *censored* *censored*

• Like 1

I tried several times to skin models to put them into Kotor and always failed miserably. I had watched some tutorials on skinning in 3DS Max: it doesn't seem to be hard, but just a long and tedious process. Maybe a proper tutorial on how to import the skeleton and animations from KoTOR and then exporting the finished model back into the game would be more appropriate?

JK models are a bit of a pain with all the extra bits for limb dismemberment that need to be discarded, but that's not the real problem. Typically you'd need to reskin them from scratch, and unfortunately there just aren't many (or any?) skinners left in the KOTOR modding scene.

You were right. I managed to get some lightsaber mods from JKA, but the skins were impossible to adjust. What a shame.

I tried several times to skin models to put them into Kotor and always failed miserably. I had watched some tutorials on skinning in 3DS Max: it doesn't seem to be hard, but just a long and tedious process. Maybe a proper tutorial on how to import the skeleton and animations from KoTOR and then exporting the finished model back into the game would be more appropriate?

I finally managed to import some lightsabers mods.

On 5/12/2017 at 6:21 AM, DarthParametric said:

There's no point anyway. Skinning is not something specific to KOTOR. There are a gazillion tutorials on the internet.

Hi, I'm very new to the KOTOR modding scene and I'm not 100% sure how everything works, but I found a bunch of great Jedi Academy lightsaber mods that I would love to see in KOTOR. I was just wondering if you could link any good tutorials you might know of? I know the KOTOR modding scene has sort of faded away so my best chance at getting any of the great saber mods like ahsoka and maul would be to do it myself. Would appreciate any help you can provide :)

10 minutes ago, kane001 said:

Hi, I'm very new to the KOTOR modding scene and I'm not 100% sure how everything works, but I found a bunch of great Jedi Academy lightsaber mods that I would love to see in KOTOR. I was just wondering if you could link any good tutorials you might know of? I know the KOTOR modding scene has sort of faded away so my best chance at getting any of the great saber mods like ahsoka and maul would be to do it myself. Would appreciate any help you can provide :)

Lightsabers (and weapons in general) aren’t too complicated to make. These vintage tutorials should get you through it:

You’ll have to get the lightsaber mesh  from the JKA mod of your choice first. I don’t know how they are set up for JKA but whatever they include, just isolate the hilt mesh and then follow the videos above.

And remember you’ll need the original author’s permission if you wish to upload them here afterwards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stormie97 said:

Lightsabers (and weapons in general) aren’t too complicated to make. These vintage tutorials should get you through it:

You’ll have to get the lightsaber mesh  from the JKA mod of your choice first. I don’t know how they are set up for JKA but whatever they include, just isolate the hilt mesh and then follow the videos above.

And remember you’ll need the original author’s permission if you wish to upload them here afterwards.

Thanks so much mate, I really appreciate it! If I manage to create anything noteworthy, 'll be sure to get the original author's permission and share it here!

• Like 1