Sign in to follow this  
seph6

[TSL] Holocron at the Sith Academy

The holocron at the Sith Academy on Korriban in TSL . . . does someone knows the names of the textures? I wished to change that model to something more similar to a holocron but first I need the name.

Open the module in KOTOR Tool, 702KOR_S.rim (Sith Academy). Look through the placeables, seems obvious in this case it is sith_holocron.utp. Open the UTP to see what appearance it uses, which is SithMonument04. Open placeables.2da and look up the entry for SithMonument04, the ID is 250, the model is PLC_Sithmn4. Decompile the model and you will see it uses two textures, DXN_Tr02 and DXN_Mt02.

I would advise against changing those textures directly, seeing as they will be used for other models as well. Either edit the model to use custom-named textures, or replace the model altogether.

• Like 1

This mod does exactly what you wanted to do. If you want to make another version yourself, you'll find the filenames here.

EDIT: Sorry, not that Sith Academy.

Open the module in KOTOR Tool, 702KOR_S.rim (Sith Academy). Look through the placeables, seems obvious in this case it is sith_holocron.utp. Open the UTP to see what appearance it uses, which is SithMonument04. Open placeables.2da and look up the entry for SithMonument04, the ID is 250, the model is PLC_Sithmn4. Decompile the model and you will see it uses two textures, DXN_Tr02 and DXN_Mt02.

I would advise against changing those textures directly, seeing as they will be used for other models as well. Either edit the model to use custom-named textures, or replace the model altogether.

Thanks.

I used Sith holocron's  holocrons and made two skins for the academy's holocron (also, they are animated):

I used Sith holocron's holocrons and made two skins for the academy's holocron (also, they are animated):

You don't have my permission to upload these. Just putting that out there. Granted my mod's read-me indicates you don't need one but seeing as you messaged me asking for it, and I said "No" . . . I'll leave it to you to decide what that says about you.

You don't have my permission to upload these. Just putting that out there. Granted my mod's read-me indicates you don't need one but seeing as you messaged me asking for it, and I said "No" . . . I'll leave it to you to decide what that says about you.

Never said that I was going to upload these. And just to correct you, in that case, it was icons and not this.

Yet you're still using my textures.

Because they are good. You did a very good job with these. I just dont understand why you wont let others use it.

To long time readers of this site: Here's where I attempt to be delicate and we all know how that usually goes . . .

Seph6, I just don't think my texture is the best fit for that model.

To long time readers of this site: Here's where I attempt to be delicate and we all know how that usually goes . . .

Seph6, I just don't think my texture is the best fit for that model.

Fine, fine. I am not here to pic a fight with anyone. You didnt give me permission to use your mod and I never said I was going to use it in the first place. Sorry if I gave the impression that I was doing something behind your back. I also wont ask anything anymore here, but let me say this: I really dont understand you. Goodbye.

Fine, fine. I am not here to pic a fight with anyone. You didnt give me permission to use your mod and I never said I was going to use it in the first place. Sorry if I gave the impression that I was doing something behind your back. I also wont ask anything anymore here, but let me say this: I really dont understand you. Goodbye.

I think he means you also don't have permission to show an image of his mod being used in a mod photo...you may not be uploading it as a mod but the author still doesn't even want an image of his mod being used for g something else in a photo! Might not sound fair but those are the rules and we must respect an author for their hard work.

Might I suggest just replacing the model with Darth Insidious' model instead (It's a modders resource by the way so unlike SH's mod it's a free to use in mods deal)- http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/581-k1tsl-modders-resource-holocrons/

A bit off topic: I like this has turned from someone asking for a name of a texture to a Sith Holocron defending the modding copyright of a Sith Holocron.

• Like 2

You really should have thought this through before you posted this. If you ask someone for permission to use something and they say no, then it means just that.

DON'T F---ING USE IT.

Respect their wishes. If you worked for a software/game/computer/etc company and you pulled something like this you would have gotten fired on the spot (even worse if there was some sort of legal copyright issue). You need to explore all avenues before you do something, and next time you should think.

• Like 2

To be fair, as long as it's for personal use who cares, we see screenshots portraying other people's mods all the time, often in modified forms since everyone with minimum molding knowledge tweaks their game including the mods installed, I can understand Sith Holocron reaction to the posting of the pics as it could be misunderstood as he wanting to actually post it as a mod, but it could also be interpreted as him just wanting to show his attempt at how it looks, I find everyone blows this kind of out of proportion, I find many of the members of the forum overly zealous on this matters some times, since when do we forbid others from modifying our mods for their personal use? (after all that's exactly what we all do with someone else's property by doing mods (actually legally copyrighted material), and it's not like we have a very official legal right to do so, we're simply tolerated to do so. It might be unrespectful of him to go ahead and post the pics and I understand Sith Holocron being displeased at it, but I don't think it deserves to have everyone jumping on him, everyone does mistakes, this could easily be a misunderstanding and yet everyone is jumping to their pitchforks.

Legally speaking as TDR says, there would actually be no issue considering the Read-me says people are free to use it as long as he (Sith Holocron) is credited, by respect I wouldn't use it either way, but legally it would be like me writing a song and allow anyone to legally cover it, then when someone I don't like want to cover I forbid him to, he'd be an a** to do it anyways, but legally speaking I wouldn't have a very strong case in court. But anyways this isn't a company, just a bunch of people gathered by a common interest doing stuff in a legal grey area.

• Like 1

The issue seems to depend on a private conversation between Sith Holocron and seph6 which the rest of us don't have access to. Since only Sith Holocron and seph6 really know all the circumstances of the issue, I think it would have been better to handle this in private.

Anyway, unless Sith Holocron wants the pictures removed, the matter seems resolved, so I could see this topic being closed. There's no need for this thread to collect a bunch of opinions from people who don't know what went on behind the scenes.

• Like 1

Who's the actor?

Will Ferrell, in Anchorman, as Ron Burgundy. 

iencGsQ.gif

Alright, I agree with this. So, I am going to explain what happened. 

I came to this site because I wished a good skin for TSL's Darth Malak armor, but since nobody replied, I made one myself using the best options I did find: Effixian jal shey/zeison sha models and Darth Parametric version of the armor. I got permission from both authors and made a version merging both.

After that I noticed that DeadMan never finished his vibro weapons mod, and since he wasnt going to, I made the Vibroblade & Vibro double-blade replacement pack and PMed him saying that he could have the files if he was going to post then, instead he said that I could post it myself.

Then we came to the day I saw the Holocron Icon Replacement by InSidious, I liked the idea but his mod wasnt like the holocrons in canon so I thought of making one myself. I made the fake jedi holocron for TSL and Bastila's father holocron for kotor1, but the sith holocron I had the idea of using the image in sith holocron's New Texture of Holocrons in the Telos Secret Academy (this one) then reduce and make into an icon. Then I asked him this, and after making me send the icons made, then their original sized version, then their photoshop version, after all of it he replied: "If you can animate the Sith Holocron icon, I'll consider it.  Until then, my answer is no.". It was just an icon, why animate it?

Then we came to this post, my intention here was to create a better version of the sith holocron you find in TSL sith academy, so I made first one image using sith holocron mod 'New Texture of Holocrons in the Telos Secret Academy', after that I made one slightly diferent but still using his, the next one I was going to post here is an entirely different image. My idea was to post images of various versions until someone said wich one was the best or someone created something better. Or it was until this all started.

My idea since comming to this site was to help create or give ideas to create mods so everyone could have fun playing KOTOR 1 and 2, at least, this was my idea of what this site was for. Did you guys even thought that after all of this, two mods never came to be? If sith holocron didnt wanted me using his textures, I would glady send him the textures I modified, then he could post under his name and more people could enjoy the mods.

I said that I really dont understand sith holocron, its because I believe he should be happy that someone likes his mods and wants to aply then in other moments of the game. What is to gain or lose in that? Instead he overreacted with a bunch of images. But for what I could understand with other people posts in this topic, it seems I was the one wrong. So, in order to not make things more complicated, I will just leave. This is going to be the last time I am in this site, I will abandon my account here and move on. My apologies if someone was offended, but, as I said before, my intentions were the best ones. 

Farewell.