Ravao

[KOTOR II] Force Cage problem

1) During the game, when did the problem begin to occur?

The problem occures when I am close to force cages. Whenever I try to look at the force cages through camera's or whenever I am close to one. It first happend to me at Peragus.

2) Did you install the latest version of the mod?

I am not using any mod, just vanilla.

3) What version of the game do you have? (Steam, GOG, 4CD, KotOR Collection?) What region is the game designed for if it's the 4 CD version?

Steam.

4) Did you update your game as required by your game's region? (4-CD version ONLY)

-

5) Did you use the TSLPatcher, if provided?

No I did not.

6) Were there any errors in the TSLPatcher installation?

-

7) What other mods have you installed? Please give an accurate list and provide links to each of these mods - even if they are found on this site. (We don't actually know them all!.)

None currently but I used to play with the restored content mod after I disinstalled the game on steam.

8) Can you be more specific about the error? At what point did it happen?

It happens whenever I look in the general direction of a force cage. It firstly happend on Peragus but I also checked with a previous file via steamcloud on Telos and.. indeed. Whenever I am going towards the Telos Security Force force cages the entire game starts to freeze and after around 4-5 seconds I get 1 fps untill I look away.

9) Have you tried re-downloading the mod?

I reinstalled the game itself.

10) Have you tried using a different save game?

Yes, I used a different savegame to see if it would also happen on Telos and indeed, it did.

11) Have you tried starting a new game?

I tried multiple times. Never seemed to help.

12) What Operating System do you use? (List Virtual Machines as well if you are using them.)

System Manufacturer: Asus

Model: Asus F551C Notebook PC

Processor: Intel® Core i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.80GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit operating system.

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Windows 10 Home.

13) What language is your game set for?

English.

14) Are you playing this on a laptop or a desktop computer?

Laptop.

That's actually a pretty poor processor, as well as integrated graphics? *shiver* Since it's a framerate issue, I can't see anything else being the problem. I forget off the top of my head if there are any settings for effects quality that you might turn down.

I tried your suggestions indeed. I know I have a terrible pc haha, but I used to run this game all fine and smoothly. Every other game runs fine too believe it or not.

What are the options I could consider?

Last resort options:

1. You could try to boost your graphics power by getting a video card and plugging it into an external dock. They can link to your laptop via most standard ports. Downside: this is a decent investment. You'd need to buy a graphics card, a dock for it, and have something you can plug it into (a monitor, tv, etc).
2. Depending on your operating system, you could get a flash drive or SD card and plug it in to help boost your processing power with ReadyBoost (on Windows). It may help keep your frame rate up.

I tried your suggestions indeed. I know I have a terrible pc haha, but I used to run this game all fine and smoothly. Every other game runs fine too believe it or not.

What are the options I could consider?

I played this game waaayy back in 2005 with lamer specs than yours (Graphic card was nVidia GeForce 2 MX with 64 Mb Memory) and it never had problems with framerate drop near force cages. It had problems with framerates drop all over the game :P...

Anyway, do you experience other issues with other games? Cause your problem might be because hardware failure. ASUS products are extremely hot compared to other brands...

Thank you both but I am quite sure it still has something to do with the game itself.

I play KOTOR without any problems on the highest quality etc. and all the other starwars games without any problems either.

(Jedi Knight Academy, Jedi Outcast, Republic Commando, Battlefront II .. . the older one of course haha. )

Same goes for Tom Clancy Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Of course these are older games, I am still inclined there is some sort of bug going on since the computer had no problem with running the force cages in KOTOR 1. But I will consider what you are proposing.

Thank you.