Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

[TSL] Griff drinks the Galaxy/General WIP

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Edit: has been repurposed as a general WIP thread.

Squik/Griff replacement Mod

• replace Squik, the passed-out/knocked-out Twilek in the Nar Shadaa swoop racing den, with Griff from K1

• Add optional Griff sidequest

• Cannot recruit, but will have him as a temporary party member for “Boss Fight”

• Mission cameo on completion

General Idea

It always annoyed me that there was a drunken Twilek passed out on the floor in the swoop racing den of Nar Shadaa. Borna Lys has little to say about him, really no one does. When you look at his .uti and .utc, you find that his name has changed. He was Squik… and I would think he had a story. It has been a while, but I don’t think I ever found much in the .tlk regarding Squik, so it may have just been something Obsidian had an idea about but never got to go into. For all I know, the GenoHaradan were involved.

That said, he is a boat anchor, and I would like to give him life. Griff was a loser I could sympathize with, and his character has good potential for slapstick comedy. I happen to like slapstick comedy, I like a little Gonzo humor, and the Exile needs to get drunk more. If you decide to get involved with Griff, he will lead you on a bar-hop across the galaxy, where you can get Griff in or out of trouble, or in and out of trouble… which will lead to a monumentally awesome OP MLG ONLY Boss Fight. <feel the sarcasm>

The mod is not complex, it is not combat heavy and combat is “optional”, it mostly involves meeting Griff and either going Gonzo with him or trying to reform him, kill him or ignore him. It has a slightly adult theme (still PG-13 I think), is not anything that adds to the game story in a meaningful way, and is solely for fun/laughs. Think of Griff as Tyrion Lannister, just taller and not nearly as smart. But he does drink and know things.

Status of Mod

• Griff re-skin 0% (will be farmed out as I am not a skilled artist in this regard)

• VO 0% (see note 1)

• Dialog 30% - Main script 100% written, skeletoned, some trees built on paper

• Scripting 50% - (see note 2)

Notes

1. There will be two voice-acting roles in the mod, Griff and Mission. Mission has aged, so I have no issues with her small cameo being done by a different actress, and neither should you :P

Griff is a slightly different issue. I have been working on this mod for a long time actually, and have actually recorded my own VO for Griff in K1 to just replace his original lines. I was never happy with the result, but I had it all in-game, so if I find an actor willing to take on this role it would be nice to have them do a VO replacement for K1 Griff for the sake of continuity. In K1, his character is fairly small, but there are still a few lines to record. For this TSL mod, I expect the artist to have about 30 minutes of recorded dialog total, which will obviously take a fair amount of time. It is not a small job.

2. As I mentioned above, I did some work on K1 replacing vanilla Griff VO with a custom one. I also added a few lines of dialog to the final tree, which fired a few scripts I wrote, and did a litle thing. I have all of that still, so the K1 portion of the 2-game spanning mod is only missing a better VO to be the segue to this mod. I have not done a lot of TSL modding, but I have written some different action scripts for various dialogs, and I have papered out a fair amount of algorithm for several of the instances where a script is required. Mostly, this mod consists of small edits to the dialogs of each bartender, and a few custom dlg trees for the extra characters involved - really not scripting heavy, and I can work it out with a little help from our friends here :D

Well, in K1 there's an option to kill Griff if you don't have Mission in your party while you meet him. His appearance could be dependent from dialogue with Borna Lys, maybe you can choose if Revan killed Griff like when Borna Lys starts speaking about him, she could mention that she has no idea who this Twi'lek really is and that there are stories that he was once a prisoner in the Sand People Enclave during Revan's mission to Tatooine. Then there could be some dialog options:

• No way this could happen. I heard about Sand People Enclave, and I heard Revan, during his journey, slaughtered every living entity there. (Griff turns out just to be a random Twi'lek, the dialog tree doesn't open)
  • That's an interesting story. I'll try waking this drunk Twi'lek up and asking him about it when he sobers.

Also, Mission's death, with JC2's mods, is not determined by alignment, but by choice. Maybe if Revan was set to dark side, you could ask Griff about the fate of his sister and express a hopeless and realistic opinion that she's probably dead, that if she didn't return, she probably got lost, as Revan wouldn't have blood of a child on his hands or say that you hope she's still alive. First option could make Mission not appear at all, second one could lead to Mission's appearance and a short story how she has been left on the Unknown World and ultimately escaped and the third should follow the light-sided scheme, maybe with Mission speaking that she owes Darth Revan her life and that she left the Sith Empire after the Sith Civil War and Revan's disappearance. That function should be optional during the installation, as some people just don't use JC2's mods and this would be against their K1 canon.

• Like 2

I have some experience with voice acting and a lot of experience with acting in general, so I might be able to lend a hand if you need help with voice work.

Maybe we could make Griff not look like one of the mutants from The Hills Have Eyes too?

The default model does look like that doesn't it?

The default model does look like that doesn't it?

Yeah. So, the idea would be to make Griff actually look similar to Mission, the way siblings do

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

@superSzym - Of course, in vanilla Griff can be dead.

Fortunately, I have a K1 mod for that ;p.

It is a separate mod, and is only waiting on more VO to complete. Just a revoice and a few added lines of dialog, and an altered cutscene at the Sand People palace.

As for people that don't install that mod and DID kill Griff in K1, there is a solution.

Griff is an idiot, but he is also a survivor. Taking a page from an old Star Trek episode (Havok Time), Griff predicted the scene when he met the Jedi, and gave himself a special "stim" to weaken him and simulate death for a decent amount of time. He knew the Sand People would let his corpse rot in the same cell, like those before him evident, and so felt comfortable playing possum for a while.

Cheese served, hope ya like it.

Very slow progress, mostly little dialog re-writes. This mod isn't coming out anytime soon, but sooner than TSLRP.

On 8/30/2017 at 12:53 PM, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

Very slow progress, mostly little dialog re-writes. This mod isn't coming out anytime soon, but sooner than TSLRP.

Just don't start snuggling and having macchiatos and you'll be on the track faster. LOL

• Like 3

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Despite cheating on my wife with Dashus' old girlfriend, progress has continued at the usual snail's pace.

If you are familiar with the production of Grimoire... I am no Cleve (he has actual industry experience, and is truly entertaining), which means a simple mod will take a stupid long time. But it will be finished.

I have done maybe 3 full revisions of the VO for Griff in K1. I have done two myself, which I rather liked honestly, but I just felt too revisionist. My dilemma: if I didn't do a total VO overhaul for Griff in K1, how would I have continuity for his difficult to explain appearance in TSL?

The answer: dude got throat-punched. By a woman.

This is your storyline development update. Cheers!

The answer: dude got throat-punched. By a woman.

That sounds like something that would happen to Griff.  Repeatedly.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

I have been working on Nar Shadaa, trying desperately to leave. Modding Nar Shadaa is not for the faint of heart as you well know.

Squik lives and breathes with a new set of clothes, but it is all basic as hell and I am not happy enough with anything to post a screenshot. Haven't done any camera work, and the waking transition is not great.

Sample dialog:

[Griff]Unh... Aagh. My head!

[Exile]What happened?

[Griff]Well, uh, I was playing Pazaak with some creepy gangster types, and I was really on a roll - my Pazaak deck is... CHOOBIES, my deck!

[Exile]Choobies?

<Check for T3-M4>

[Exile]Who are you? You are wasting my time.

[Griff]Heh, I was going by Squik, but I think the jig is up - it's time to get out of here. My name is Griff, Griff Vao.

[Griff]Ugh... Damned Whiphids, must have been working for those General Hardon guys I was killing at the table. A little spice, two lipsticked walking vacuums and next thing you know my deck is gone and I feel like I got thrown through a wall by a Rancor!

[Exile]Lol

[Griff]Man, I gotta feed the sarlacc. Gimme a minute... <walks away>

<Journal Entry> Griff's Deck

<Journal Entry> Where in the Galaxy is Griff Vao?

This is a bit condensed, and not exactly the language used... Don't want to be too spoilery, and it is also a constant rewrite so keep that in mind.

Expected release date: Before I die.

You've definitely captured Griff!

That Schutta.

It would be hilarious if you could kill him but he'd turn up again, elsewhere.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

You've definitely captured Griff!

That Schutta.

This is actually in the draft :P

This reminds me of that one time in the Simpsons where Moe shuts down his bar and he proceeds to throw all the people in the Bar out and Barney for some reason keeps getting back in only to get thrown out again.

Sample dialog:

[Griff]Unh... Aagh. My head!

[Exile]What happened?

[Griff]Well, uh, I was playing Pazaak with some creepy gangster types, and I was really on a roll - my Pazaak deck is... CHOOBIES, my deck!

[Exile]Choobies?

<Check for T3-M4>

[Exile]Who are you? You are wasting my time.

[Griff]Heh, I was going by Squik, but I think the jig is up - it's time to get out of here. My name is Griff, Griff Vao.

[Griff]Ugh... Damned Whiphids, must have been working for those General Hardon guys I was killing at the table. A little spice, two lipsticked walking vacuums and next thing you know my deck is gone and I feel like I got thrown through a wall by a Rancor!

[Exile]Lol

[Griff]Man, I gotta feed the sarlacc. Gimme a minute... <walks away>

<Journal Entry> Griff's Deck

<Journal Entry> Where in the Galaxy is Griff Vao?

This is a bit condensed, and not exactly the language used... Don't want to be too spoilery, and it is also a constant rewrite so keep that in mind.

Expected release date: Before I die.

Please don't use "lol" in the dialogue. Everything is perfect but that one part.

I noticed "General Hardon guys" in that preview. Are you aware of GenoHaradan Legacy by any chance? 

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Yo.

So, I had right shoulder surgery 5 weeks ago. I am right handed.

I can use a mouse again, for brief spells, which makes playing the game possible. Playing the game again opens old eyes to new things.

First - the Sold to the Hutts quest is easy to miss, and is easy to break. Also, there is no option to simply kill Adana for being a smart-mouthed youngling. I plan on "fixing" this; I don't usually play DS characters, but when I do I kill children whenever possible because yay RPG. Curious to see if the child model has a full animation set. Gand... This is a small project IMO, but then famous last words are famous.

Second - M4-78 needs a modder to add something to the planet, outside of the main quest. Something funny, something unexpected, something. I have been disappointed that no one has taken advantage of a fertile modding ground just waiting to be livened up by anything. Anything. Like Sleyheron, it shouldn't be on SS and company to make a planet that is overflowing with story and life - it is too much to ask. 

Griff doesn't really fit on M4-78. I am grinding out some ideas for original questlines that fit the planet but are interesting in their own right.

Third - Griff mod has only made progress on paper. The entire forum is shocked.

20 hours ago, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

First - the Sold to the Hutts quest is easy to miss, and is easy to break. Also, there is no option to simply kill Adana for being a smart-mouthed youngling. I plan on "fixing" this; I don't usually play DS characters, but when I do I kill children whenever possible because yay RPG. Curious to see if the child model has a full animation set. Gand... This is a small project IMO, but then famous last words are famous.

I'd say you're in luck if you intend to go ahead with it, the child NPC model has full unarmed combat animations but it cannot visually use any weapons (Any weapons are rendered invisible) and the Male Child soundset exists in TSL (Of course you'd need to rename the female child soundset which exists in the files so you could replace the male child soundset with the female one, or just use the male one as it might sound authentic enough to be pulled off). Evidence shows that killing Adana was actually an option before it was cut early, fully voiced dialogue reactions from the refugees and her mother exists and a single Adana line exists where she says "What?" presumably just after you announced to kill her.

The only problem I could see is actually implementing it so that it has proper journal updates and conditionals, from my investigation of the refugee sector all I can say is that you'd need a lot of brains and free time in order to work out what everything all means. I originally wanted to do this as an optional install for my "GenoHaradan Legacy" mod because this would be considered "Restored Content" which would go great alongside my "ReStOrEd" GenoHaradan plot, I didn't do anything much with it because it all didn't make much sense to me at the time and I didn't know if killing children would be accepted on DS and of course I don't want to be THAT guy to ask that question.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Nar Shaada, bane of many good ideas.

I ain't scurred. But your point is legit and well-taken.

To me, Griff totally fits in on M4-78. He hides somewhere when the radiation hits, and then as soon as you clear it he's back to scamming the droids out of their credits or selling battle droids to smugglers or whatever it was he was doing before the radiation hit, and you can either stop him or help him. I also just love the idea of two Twi'leks running around on an empty planet full of droids.