bead-v

Dialog participants and orientation in TSL

I was getting annoyed by not being able to get things to work, so I decided to do tests to figure out how exactly the system works. Here is what I've learned so far. Maybe it can help someone, or someone has something else to add to this. My testing continues (in orientation, what happens if there is an enemy, or a closed door between the first speaker and listener when conversation starts, ...), after it's done I will update this text and then it should probably go into the tutorial section.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything below is about TSL.

When the dialog starts, these roles need to be determined:
 - DEFAULT_SPEAKER or OWNER
 - DEFAULT_LISTENER
 - PLAYER

The terms OWNER and PLAYER may actually be used in the Listener (but not Speaker) field in the dialog editor (and also for dialog animations). In scripts fired through the dialog, OBJECT_SELF refers to OWNER. To explain how they are determined we also need to define oStarter and oOwner. They are defined by the script that fires the dialog:
AssignCommand(oStarter, ActionStartConversation(oOwner, "some_dialog"));

PLAYER always represents the first PC (GetFirstPC() in scripts).

DEFAULT_LISTENER is generally oStarter.
RULE 1: This is always true if oStarter is PLAYER.
RULE 2: If oOwner is PLAYER, then DEFAULT_LISTENER is always PLAYER (green and purple). If oStarter is a party member, then control is given to PLAYER after the dialog (green).
RULE 3: If oStarter is a party member and oOwner is a creature, then DEFAULT_LISTENER is PLAYER (red). In addition to that, before the dialog, PLAYER and oStarter exchange locations and control is given to PLAYER. After the dialog, control over the original party member is regained.
RULE 4: If oStarter is not a party member and oOwner is a party member, then DEFAULT_LISTENER is oOwner, the party member (blue).

OWNER is generally oOwner.
RULE 1: If oOwner is PLAYER, then OWNER is oStarter (green and purple).
RULE 2: If oOwner is a party member and oStarter is not a party member, OWNER is oStarter (blue).

All of this is summarized in the following table:

AXErVqT.jpg

1 Controlled character changes to PLAYER after dialog.
2 Controlled character changes to PLAYER before dialog, but changes back afterwards.
Notes: STARTER in this table refers to DEFAULT_LISTENER. Shaded cells represent combinations where the roles of oStarter and oOwner may be reversed with the same effect. More attention should be paid to the white cells, especially a combination of a party member with another party member or creature. Bold font weight indicates that OWNER is oOwner or STARTER is oStarter, that is, no special rules have applied.

A node in this text means every entry and every instance of the player choosing a reply. Every node has the following roles, which need to be determined:
 - SPEAKER
 - LISTENER
In determining them, we need to make use of OWNER, DEFAULT_LISTENER and PLAYER (defined above).

SPEAKER is the object with the tag in the Speaker field of the current entry. If the Speaker field is empty, SPEAKER is OWNER. If the field is not empty, but no object with that tag exists, the entry is skipped; if after that no other entries are available, the dialog ends.
In replies, SPEAKER is automatically PLAYER.
The keywords 'OWNER' and 'PLAYER' may NOT be used in the Speaker field. Doing this will end the conversation.

LISTENER is the object with the tag in the Listener field of the current node. If the field is empty, it is the object with the tag in the Speaker field of the previous node. If that object is invalid or the same as SPEAKER, or if this is the first node, then LISTENER is DEFAULT_LISTENER.
The keywords 'OWNER' and 'PLAYER' may be used in the Listener field.

At the beginning of every node, SPEAKER and LISTENER reorient on each other, unless SetLockOrientationInDialog() is TRUE. In that case the creature for which it is TRUE does not reorient.

There are two ways of reorienting in dialog. One is head-tracking, where the head is turned towards the target, and the body only turns as much as it needs to for the head to face the target. The creatures that do not use head-tracking instead turn entirely to face the target. For head-tracking to work, it must be enabled in appearance.2da under column 'headtrack'. The creatures that use head-tracking can turn it off by setting SetLockHeadFollowInDialog() to TRUE. However, if 'headtrack' is 0 in appearance.2da, then SetLockHeadFollowInDialog() cannot be used to enable head-tracking; these creatures will always turn entirely to face the target.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After more testing, I cannot see any changes in orientation because of an intervening object. What is written above holds in those cases as well.

Additionally, I have discovered that checking AnimatedCut in the dialog editor will lock orientation completely. This was causing me problems, because I thought this had to be checked if an animated camera is used (it doesn't have to be and mostly shouldn't be).

Also, if the SPEAKER and LISTENER are the same, you get ugly results for the default camera and head orientation when walking. Here is a screenshot and a video demonstrating this:

eCOKMNM.png

Another piece of information, discovered as a result of Salk's question.

When outside of dialog, party members follow the PC and reorient on them at any time. When you enter dialog in K1 this behavior persists, and causes them to reorient on the PC whenever they speak, ignoring the Speaker/Listener functionality. Calling ClearAllActions() on the party member will remove this behavior. This issue will also not arise in Solo mode, because in that case the party members are not following and reorienting on the PC.

• Like 1

Oh, that's interesting. I would guess it's due to changes in the follower AI. There are obvious other changes so this could be another, more subtle change.

After a cursory look I don't see anything obvious, though, in either k_hen_heartbt01 or k_ai_master. These scripts are a bit of a maze to navigate, and there's always the possibility of it being a hard coded change to ActionFollowLeader().