Sign in to follow this  

Hello!  :welcome:  I'm new to the site and I'm new to modding, I've played kotor 1 and TSL for a few year's and I just got TSL on steam, I've been trying to make custom party member portrait's, I know you need to put them in the override folder but I'm not sure what size they need to be, I also don't know how to convert them to the .TGA format, help from experienced modder's and anyone who know's more about this stuff then me is welcome.

Poetraits for K1 are, I guess, 128x128, but I have also seen some oversharpened 64x64 ones and they apparently work. They should be called PO_pPartyMember or po_ppartymember (it's for you to choose which form you prefer) with name instead of PartyMember. If you want to change a silhouette one (they're exclusive to K1), add "2" at the end without quotes and space after name. It should be noted that in K1, T3-M4 appears as T3-M3 in every file affecting him, so his portrait name is po_pt3m3. In TSL, it's fixed and it's po_pt3m4. As for HK-47, in both games don't use "-" in his name, just like you don't with T3-M4.

In TSL filenames are the same except the fact that there are also dark side ones for those party members that are trainable as Jedi. For first stage of corruption, use "d1" at the end without quotes and space after name, for second stage use "d2". Example - PO_pDiscipled1.

You should be available to save your file as a TGA in every image edit program, for example GIMP and Photoshop.

I'm pretty sure that they don't have to be 128x128. They just need to be squares and ideally be in a power of 2 since some computers get issues with textures that are not a power of 2.

Getting the .tga won't be possible with Paint I'm afraid. There are probably free converters available online but getting GIMP (which is free) is probably a good idea too. Alternatively getting XnView would work. It's quite useful anyway for displaying .tga and other image files and can convert to .tga.

He's also having issues making them perfect squares as well.

He should get GIMP. Paint will provide a horrible effect at best, and GIMP is free and it's easy to start with a perfect square, because you choose the dimensions at start of work.

@Kexikus, I have once found 256x256 portraits, but 128x128 is perfectly enough and more is a waste of memory, because space the game uses for portraits is around 128x128 each, and 64x64 ones have to be ridiculously oversharpened to look normally in the game.

• Like 1

He should get GIMP. Paint will provide a horrible effect at best, and GIMP is free and it's easy to start with a perfect square, because you choose the dimensions at start of work.

@Kexikus, I have once found 256x256 portraits, but 128x128 is perfectly enough and more is a waste of memory, because space the game uses for portraits is around 128x128 each, and 64x64 ones have to be ridiculously oversharpened to look normally in the game.

I probably will check it out, Thank's.

Agreed on both points. I don't really like GIMP but it's definetly waaaay better than paint.

And I just wanted to point out that the size doesn't have to be 128x128 but it's definetly what I'd use as well.

Agreed on both points. I don't really like GIMP but it's definetly waaaay better than paint.

And I just wanted to point out that the size doesn't have to be 128x128 but it's definetly what I'd use as well.

I'm actually lucky because my mum is a photographer and has got only one computer, so I grabbed a license for Photoshop on second device.

I'm actually lucky because my mum is a photographer and has got only one computer, so I grabbed a license for Photoshop on second device.

Same here except that it's my dad who gave me the license^^