Aezgaroth

"KotOR Remastered" - A Heavily Modded KotOR Build

Hi everyone. :D

Following the idea of this thread, and many others I found on reddit.com, I decided to do my little project too. I'm not really used to forums tho so if anything seems out of place please let me know and/or do what you have to if you're an Admin. Also, I'm not asking for help but if you have any tips or recommendations I'll be glad to read them. Oh, and sorry for the clusterf*** I'm about to create here. It'll take a while to read all of it but I just though it might be helpfull for some people... maybe... If that's the case then that's cool with me. One last thing, I'm not perfect so expect a few typos here and there etc... :P

Ready? Here goes... :D

[Staff Edit: As the author of this post is not currently monitoring this thread, all responsibility lies on you and you alone if you wish to attempt the author's suggestions.  This mod build is out of date.  It is therefore recommended that you use these mod builds instead and seek instruction at the KotOR subreddit if you need guidance. This thread is now locked until the mod author returns to ask the staff to unlock it.]

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic "Remastered" Mod Build
==================================================

Focus of the build:
-----------------------

1- Provide a "non-modder-friendly" and "bug-free" heavily-modded build for people who want to improve the original game and make it feel kinda like a "remastered" edition. The mods used should not cause unnecessary overlap and should be compatible if installed properly AND in order. The order in my list should work without issues unless I missed something. A lot of the mods are installed via a TSL patcher included with them but no other patching/merging tools are required. It's either TSL patcher or a simple copy/paste in the override, nothing more complicated than that. As long as people take the time to look at my notes and the mods readme.txt files or web pages before each step, the installation should go smoothly even with the amount of mods included.

2- Restore and/or fix as much stuff as possible from the vanilla version tho a few minor things are left out since they would still be kinda useless in the game (i.e. the Teta's Royal Band).

3- Improve the continuity between KotOR 1 and 2 with a few mods (i.e. Pazaak cards colors, life regeneration, choice of Lightsaber forms etc...).

4- Stay somewhat close to the original game when it comes to the items available. Don't expect tons of new custom (and sometimes overpowered) items BUT some of the original items were "restored" and/or "upgraded" (i.e. Davik's armor can be upgraded etc...) and, in some cases, the quantity available is increased if the player installs the "Enhanced Merchants" mod included in this build.

5- Stay very close to the canon KotOR look, story, characters and their respective abilities tho a few additional Force powers and goodies are added and some gameplay restrictions are removed like the class-skill relations. There are no new characters since no "recruit mods" were used. Also, don't expect non-Force-Sensitive characters to become a Jedi/Sith or characters to be changed to a different race. There are however some exceptions to this rule:

A lot of items will look closer to what is seen in the movies since some of the "best" mods I've come across are based on them.

The droids are also reskinned to look more like R2-D2 and C-3PO. The reason for this is that I couldn't find a reskin for T3-M4 that is "HD" while keeping his original color patern. And since the build also includes mods for "prequel style robes", "movie style hilts" and "movie style Lightsaber blades", let's have some "movie style droids" too while we're at it. It kinda makes sense I guess... and HK looks nice in gold imo. :D

6- Improve the game sounds to better match what is commonly heard in the Star Wars universe, the movies etc...

7- A few little extras are added to the game since they don't seem to be affecting the balance too much and also don't require the player to use cheats to get them because it kinda breaks the immersion when it does imo. Those extras are integrated more naturaly in the game and include:

Having the choice of Lightsaber(s) type(s) when creating your own on Dantooine.

A Lightsaber modded to be more unique/upgradable in the tomb of Naga Sadow.

Revan's cool looking robe complete with hood, mask, animation fixes and made into a unique item instead of a "simple" Star Forge robe reskin.

Some new items for Canderous.

Some new items for Juhani.

Probably a few more little things I forgot... :P

Quick Notes:
----------------

1- Even if I provide links to the mods, I'm not responsible if anything happens to your computer. I personally didn't have any problems when downloading them BUT that doesn't mean it's always the case. Internet is NOT a safe place if you don't do what you should in order to protect yourself. Please use your head and make sure you have decent protection on your computer (Antivirus etc...).

2- When you try to install mods using the TSL Patcher provided with some of them, it's possible that the patcher won't find you game's main folder. You'll know it didn't if there's no path indicated at the bottom of the patcher's window. If that's the case, you'll need to open the mod's "tslpatchdata" folder and locate the "changes.ini" file. Open that file and edit the following lines to be like this:

LookupGameFolder=1
LookupGameNumber=1

When it's done, save (Ctrl+S) and close the file. The patcher should now be able to find your KotOR main folder

3- When I say "canon" I mean canon with the Knights of the Old Republic games and/or the Star Wars lore in general, not necessarily what is considered the new official canon from Disney.

4- I try to stick to the what most people seem to consider as KotOR's canon storyline with this build (lightsided male Revan and Bastilla relation) so I didn't include mods for romance with characters other than Bastilla. That doesn't mean that they aren't compatible so feel free to try adding those mods if you want. I personnaly didn't install them myself to reduce potential issues so I can't say if they'll work or not.

5- Unfortunatly, most extra content mods like Brotherhood of Shadow, Yavin IV, Tatooine Job Office, Jawashop etc were not included in the build due to lack of compatibility and/or stability and/or because it required to merge files with tools other than the TSL Patcher. If any modder(s) eventually update them to be more compatible with all the mods in this list, I think it could bring balance to the Force... and make a lot of people happy if they use this build as a template to make their own variations. Not complaining here tho, it's already amazing to see how much effort was put in modding this game and I'm very grateful to all the modders and the community around them. May the Force be with you, always! :D

6- The last thing I want to mention is that this build is NOT perfect and I don't consider it to be better than any other builds you could create or find out there. It's all a matter of opinion and if yours is different then mine it's ok and I won't argue over it.  

Mod List and Installation Order:
=========================

Restoration and Fixes:
----------------------------

1- KotOR 1 Restoration 1.2

2- Bastila on Korriban - K1R Version 1.0

3- Party on the Leviathan! 1.1 (A module file will be skipped, don't worry about it)

4- Bendak Bounty Rework

5- Dantooine Training Lightsabers

6- Hidden Bek Control Room Restoration 1.0

7- Davik's Upgradable Armor Mod 1.0

8- Sandpeople Disguise Drop Fix 1.0 (I took the standard file but it's up to the player. See the readme.txt for the other options)

9- Vrook and Zhar fix 1.0

10- JC's Merchant Inventory Fix for K1 1.0

11- Trandoshans Rescaled for K1 1.0

12- Revans Robes Revisioned (Again, standard robe files for me, see the readme.txt if you prefer to use another one of the skins included instead)

13- Mandalorian Assault Armor Restoration 1.0

14- Calo Nord Inventory Fixes (The .kmm file is not required if you simply copy/paste in your override folder, its only for people using the KotOR Mod Manager)

15- Canon Galaxy Map for KotOR 1 1.1 (Vanilla module only)

16- Green Pazaak Base Cards for K1 1.0

17- Red Lightsaber Crystal Fix 1.0

18- Sapith Fix 1.0

Gameplay Mods:
---------------------

1- Lightsaber Choices (2.0)

2- K1 Force Pack (2.0)

3- Remove Restrictions for Force Powers by Armors

4- Revamped Pazaak Store

5- Enhanced Merchants

6- Get the Other Krayt Dragon Pearl (1.1)

7- Sherruk - Attacks With Lightsabers

Notes: If you decide to install this mod you may want to also install the following patch, simply overwrite the original file(s) with it:

Name: Sherruk Inventory Patch

Author: Fair Strides

Masters: Sherruk Attacks with Lightsabers

Description: Shem's above mod not only gives Sherruk equipment which is horribly overpowered, he also gives him unique items which are only meant to be acquired once in the game. This modmod reduces his loot levels and removes his unique equipment without reducing his overall difficulty.

Category & Tier: Patch / 1 - Essential

8- Juhani Improved

9- Robes for Korriban Sith Students (Seems to be overwriting some files installed by K1R for a fix concerning Yuthura Ban and Uthar Wynn's robes but it shouldn't be a problem)

Notes: If you decide to install this mod you may want to also install the following patch, simply overwrite the original file(s) with it:

Name: Robes for Korriban Sith Students Inventory Patch

Author: Fair Strides

Masters: Robes for Korriban Sith Students

Description: Robes for Korriban Sith Students, like many of Shem's mods, includes horribly overfilled loot lists and the inclusion of multiple items which are meant to be unique. This inventory patch reduces the loot of the Academy's occupants down to levels closer to that of vanilla.

Category & Tier: Patch / 1 - Essential"

10- Tomb of Exar Kun by deathdisco

11- Upgradable Sith Lightsaber 1.0

12- Gaffi Stick Improvement 1.0

13- Canderous' Mandalorian Items

14- Darth Malak - IMPROVED

15- Leviathan Differentiated Dialogue 1.1

Graphic Mods:
------------------

Items:

1- KoTOR Weapon Model Overhaul (I don't provide a link for this one for now since people have been reporting potential virus issues from where I got it. Note that the author of the mod is NOT to blame for all the crap circulating on the net and sites like Mediafire. Hoping the author will upload it on Deadly Stream eventually.)

2- Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework 1.0 (Requires the "KoTOR Weapon Model Overhaul" mod in order to work as said in the readme.txt)

3-  VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 1.1  or Movie Style Replacement Lightsaber Hilts (Both mods look great, the former being a refined version of the vanilla models and the latter being movie-based as the name implies. I decided to give both options here so it's up to you to choose which one you prefer)

4- Movie-Style Retextures for Kotor/ TSL (7)

5- [KotOR] Prequel Robe Replacement 1.1 (The Star Forge robes will conflict with the mod "Revans Robes Revisioned" if you installed it. Only install the regular ones and thoses for the NPCs if that's the case)

6- Mandalorian Worn Out Armour Reskin

Visual Effects:

1- [K1] Hi-Res Beam Effects 2.0

2- Fire and Ice HD

3- Invisible Reticles for K1 and K2 (Choose the version you prefer if you install it and see the readme.txt)

3- Ebon Hawk Camera Replacement 1.0

4- Realistic Visual Effects

5- The Prodigal Knight Reshade (Not tested yet but should not conflict with anything)

Environments:

Notes: Due to a few overlaping issues with some of the following texture packs, some people might want to install all the 2012 packs instead. I didn't test them yet since they seem to be more different from the original ones than the OTE packs. I'll probably give them a try eventually especially if I notice some incompatibilities between the OTE packs during my test playthough(s) of the current build.

1- Dantooine OTE K1

2- Tattooine OTE

3- Manaan OTE

4- Korriban OTE NG K1 (A texture was overwriten and I'm not sure why but I guess it's a texture used by one of the 3 other mods from before)

5- Korriban planet interior textures (Final) (I didn't install it yet due to some overlap. I'll see how it looks on Korriban first since it seems the "Korriban OTE NG K1" already uses a lot of those files)

6- KASHYYYK OTE NG

7- Endar Spire OTE

8- ForgedStar NG

9- Sith Base Cerberus

10- UNKNOWN WORLD 2012 (I skipped the 5 files that were overlaping)

11- Vurt's K1 Hi-Res Ebon Hawk Retexture

12- The EbonHawk-HDTP R1

13- High Quality Skyboxes 1.2 (I only downloaded the HQSkyboxes_Part1.rar and HQSkyboxes_Part2.rar files but it's up to the players to see what they want since there's a few levels of quality available for this mod. Also, seems like 10 files from the mod were overwriting some skyboxes files from other mods so I skipped them. I decided to keep those that came with the OTE packs to prevent potential issues for now)

14- High Quality Cockpit Skyboxes 1.0 (I installed the High Quality Cockpit Skyboxes XL.zip but it's up to the players to take what they prefer since there's a few levels of quality available for this mod)

15- [KOTOR] High Quality Starfields and Nebulas 1.3 (I skipped the 2 files that were overlaping to prevent potential issues for now)

Loadscreens:

1- Loadscreens in Color

Characters skins:

1- Malak - Path of Corruption 1.0

2- Juhani Catlike Head Mod

3- T3-M4 to R2-D2 Conversion

4- HK-47 Reskin Pack (I installed the gold skin to match with T3-M4's reskin and make them look similar to the droids from the movies as mentionned before in "Focus of the Build")

5- Revan's Head (I installed the PMHC files but not the PO files for the portrait. See the next mod on the list to learn why)

6- PMHC04 Head Replacements (I only installed the "PO" files for the portrait from the brown version's folder. While the image isn't 100% accurate to the face installed for Revan, it blends better with the other portraits from the Custom Party Member Portraits 2.0 mod suggested a few lines lower in the list. It's up to the players to decide if they want it or not, I'm just being picky here)

7- Mission Vao HD by Quanon 1.0

8- Quanons Zaalbar Reskin 1.0

9- Quanons Canderous Ordo Reskin 1.0

10- Quanons Bastila Shan Reskin 1.1

11- Quanons Carth Onasi Reskin 1.0

12- Custom Party Member Portraits 2.0 (I installed all the original portraits files except those for Juhani since the "Juhani Catlike Head Mod" comes with a portrait that is adequate for her new face)

Audio Mods:
---------------

1- Ultimate Sound Mod

Final Notes:
=========

I DON'T TAKE CREDITS FOR ANY OF THE MODS listed here and I DID NOT MAKE ANY OF THEM. I also won't take the time to list all the modders names here since it would take forever... well not really but you know what I mean. If you want to know who they are and want to give them credits please go on the mods respective pages and leave them a comment. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. :D

As for me, well I only took the time to research all those great mods and tried to put this list/build together in a coherent way (I hope) to help people who wanted a template to make highly improved versions of the game more easily. Nothing more than that.

HUGE thanks to:
--------------------

BIOWARE/OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT for making KotOR 1 & 2.

ALL THE MODDERS that help keeping these amazing games fresh and interesting.

Everyone at Deadly Streams, Nexus Mods, MOD DB and all the other sites hosting the mods.

May the Force be with you...

->Legal:
THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT SUPPORTED BY BIOWARE/OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT, LUCASARTS, DISNEY OR ANY LICENSERS/SPONSORS OF THE MENTIONED COMPANIES. USE OF THIS FILE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND THE ABOVE MENTIONED COMPANIES OR THE AUTHORS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR THE USAGE OF THESE FILES.

Now back to playing the game at laaaaaaast! :D

• Like 3

More or less what I was looking for in terms of my next Kotor run

You should use this mod though instead of movie lightsabers, as it's not continuity-breaking. It also includes Malak's lightsaber which has a canonical design as well.

Hi Poly Tin Cans

• Like 1

You should use this mod though instead of movie lightsabers, as it's not continuity-breaking. It also includes Malak's lightsaber which has a canonical design as well.

Hi Poly Tin Cans

Yup, I saw your hilts too when I was looking for all that. I was hesitating between them and the other mod and only kept the other because I found a bit more feedback from people that are using it, saying it matches up really well with the blades I chose. Since yours are based on the vanilla models then I'll add them right away. That way people who want to use the list will have both options. Thanks! :D

A few notes:

1) E-mail Address:
I've had to remove an email address from the text above. Please don't put down a real or even a fake email address as that tends to attract spam to those addresses. I'm sure you can understand why we wouldn't want that.

2) Introductions:

Indeed I'm new, thanks for the welcome. I'll probably introduce myself more properly on the forum in the upcoming days. Was a bit busy discovering all the stuff people made for KotOR since I never got into the PC version until very recently. So many mods, even for the first game... You guys (and ladies) are AMAZING! This site's a little paradise for retro-gamers like me who want to get back to the good old Star Wars games. ;)

The best place for you to introduce yourself is to make a new thread in the Introductions section.

3) Links:

1- I won't provide links to all the mods since it often ends up redirecting to the wrong pages after a while anyways (broken links). Copy/paste the names of the mods with the word "kotor" in the search engine of your choice instead, it should do the trick. ;)

I heartily disagree with this. First of all, you're trying to suggest a method of playing the game - and with that - you're implying that the mods on your list are the way to go. Are you specifically trying to make folks lives more difficult by not showing where they may get the mods?

Some of your mods don't even list that author's name on them. This can be problematic, especially when you have a very vague mod name.  (For example . . . "Revan's Head", anyone?)  You can re-edit the links at any time. 

• Like 2

Ok, hope I'm doing this the proper way, not used that much to forums like I said so sorry if I mess up...

@Sith Holocron

1) Uhm yeah didn't think about that, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

2) Yup I know most forums have a section like that. I'll go there as soon as I'll have the time, probably tomorrow. Thanks again tho. :)

3) Ok, sorry if it didn't come out as intented and I'll try to change that shortly. I didn't do this because I wanted to make people's life harder, in fact it's pretty much the opposite. See, while searching on the net to gather all the info I could find, I stumbled on A LOT of broken links directing to sites that were already shutted down from what I've seen (lucasforums etc). I was just trying to save people from having the same problems I had with that. Also I wasn't sure if it would be well received if I posted links to all the other sites here but I guess it's ok to do so. And as for the names of the mods well, they're all a copy/paste of their exact name on their respective pages, so vague or not it's the name the uploaders (in some case directly the author) gave them so I wanted to stay true to their decision of using those names for their mods. Honestly I didn't have any problems finding them with the method in my post but I'll simply erase that part and include all the links. Sorry again. ':(

One last thing not to create any misunderstanding, when you say "you're implying that the mods on your list are the way to go", please don't think I trying to force this selection in people's throat. Like you said it's just some suggestions on my part if they like the idea behind the build but in no way I want to imply that those mods are the only ones worthy of using or anything like that. It's just that they fit very well with what I was trying to do. I already edited the list to include the mod that VarsityPuppet suggested me so I'm not saying that my list is perfect at all and that everyone should only use this. And if you think it'll cause more troubles than anything else than by all means delete it. I didn't post it anywhere else and won't do it since I think the best place to do so was here anyway. If you think the lines where I say anyone can do what they want with (paste it somewhere else etc) should be edited/deleted feel free to do it or let me know and I'll do it.

@jc2

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it as soon as I can. :)

• Like 1

Just a recommendation to add to your build: Snigaroo and I did some patching to the Sherruk Attacks with Lightsabers and the Robes for Korriban Sith Students mods. The patching was to remove any unique or completely OP drops that the original modder, Shem, added to things.

The descriptions as given in the K1 Mod Build:

"Name: Sherruk Inventory Patch

Author: Fair Strides

Masters: Sherruk Attacks with Lightsabers

Description: Shem's above mod not only gives Sherruk equipment which is horribly overpowered, he also gives him unique items which are only meant to be acquired once in the game. This modmod reduces his loot levels and removes his unique equipment without reducing his overall difficulty.

Category & Tier: Patch / 1 - Essential"

and

"Name: Robes for Korriban Sith Students Inventory Patch

Author: Fair Strides

Masters: Robes for Korriban Sith Students

Description: Robes for Korriban Sith Students, like many of Shem's mods, includes horribly overfilled loot lists and the inclusion of multiple items which are meant to be unique. This inventory patch reduces the loot of the Academy's occupants down to levels closer to that of vanilla.

Category & Tier: Patch / 1 - Essential"

• Like 3

@Fair Strides

Awesome stuff, you can be sure I'll have a look at those mods. I was expecting some of the mods to have OP items as you said and I was thinking of counter-balancing them a bit with "Enhanced Merchants" and such..  But I think your suggestions would do a much better job. Thanks a lot. :)

@Fair Strides

Great work on the patches. Back in my playing days, I would use the Robes for Korriban Sith Students mod and would always be annoyed that the unique items would drop upon killing the students.

• Like 1

@Fair Strides

Thanks a lot, indeed it'll fit very well with the build. I couldn't find  any pages for your patches tho so I'll simply copy/paste the parts of your post directly in the list. :)

These actually aren't hosted yet. However, I had contacted Shem before about something else on Facebook and this was his reply about permissions:

"I just noticed this message. Look, I'm fine with anybody modifying my mods. I like to make things easy for people. So I really don't care what anyone does with them. All I've ever have asked is if people just acknowledge me in their readme if they do. That's it!"

So I'll probably upload these tomorrow.

• Like 2

Thanks for this list, I just started my own built based on it.

You forgot the High Quality Blasters mod by Sithspecter:  http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/4411-downloadhigh-quality-blasters/

It can be installed on top (!) of Toasty Fresh's Weapon Model Overhaul which also covers melee weapons (btw. there's a new upload of it by the author: http://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/1096/?)

I will also try this mod which replaces the blade textures of light sabres: http://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/1039/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fkotor%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D1039&pUp=1

EDIT: Also, one has to choose wheter to install The Prodigal Knight Reshade or a fix for the grass bug (https://steamcommunity.com/app/32370/discussions/0/41973821366855313/). So in fact it does conflict with another useful fix...

Hi Poly Tin Cans

Pssst, I have a really good modular setup.

Pssst, what do you mean?

I mean I have my GDrive setup so you can install it modularly, and I have it ordered. I also have picked through every texture pack and replaced bits here and there. 

ATM I'm looking at Dxun using bits and pieces of Exterior Textures,  & XarWars Textures, because it's not that the textures themselves are bad but they're arranged so poorly. 

3-  VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 1.1  or Movie Style Replacement Lightsaber Hilts (Both mods look great, the former being a refined version of the vanilla models and the latter being movie-based as the name implies. I decided to give both options here so it's up to you to choose which one you prefer)

My friend you included the wrong link, it's for the kotor 2 version.

Took me 3 hours to find the reason for my game crashing. But that's the price you pay for playing a massively modded game and you're not to blame.

You should correct the link though ;)

hi & thx for what you do here(& for all the modders involve!).i noticed there was no skins for taris; is there a reason?(excuse me for my english its not my native language).

Idk if its just me, but with this mod setup i've been having a lot of problems from crashes. its at the point where i'm trying to do the first swoop race and the game crashes before i can start it. can't find out why.

Guest Hiro

Both of Fair Strides inventory fixes seem to have been removed. Is there any mirror for the download?

For anyone coming across this in the future, on the /r/kotor subreddit mod builds you can find a link to an improved Sherruk Lightsabers patch: 

JC has released a mod that does basically the same thing as the Robes for Korriban Sith Students mod, but without doing stuff to their inventory: 

I spent 6 hours over two days painstakingly trying to hunt down all the mods from this list to use on my game. Read every single readme, found every single mod minus two QOL mods that are just gone for ever in the Nexus/Filefront pissing contest. Ill save everyone the time I invested, it doesnt work. These mods havent been tested for compatability and over half of them are so scattered to the wind its impossible to tell what came out when in what version.

Dont waste your time.

On 11/24/2019 at 8:57 PM, DisappointedSWFan said:

I spent 6 hours over two days painstakingly trying to hunt down all the mods from this list to use on my game. Read every single read-me, found every single mod minus two QOL mods that are just gone for ever in the Nexus/Filefront pissing contest. Ill save everyone the time I invested, it doesn't work. These mods haven't been tested for compatibility and over half of them are so scattered to the wind its impossible to tell what came out when in what version.

Don't waste your time.

The OP has not been here since 2017 and only made 12 posts the brief time that he was.  I wonder why you made such a time investment in someone's work that didn't make a similar time investment in this community.

Hi there, I am very inexperienced when it comes to modding. How do I install these files? Do I just drag them into override? For example, the KotOR overall update mod downloaded as "K1R_1.2 (1).7z". Is ".7z" a real extension? If I change it to ".zip", nothing happens. Would appreciate all the help!