VarsityPuppet

What Did You Think of Star Wars: Rogue One?: MASSIVE SPOILERS

What Did You Think Of Star Wars: Rogue One?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What Did You Think Of Star Wars: Rogue One?

• Loved it!
    • It was pretty good
    • Could have been better
    • Hated it
    • Words cannot describe my hatred for what Disney has done to Star Wars
    • Muku shaka paka

Is there anyway to hide this thread from the Recently Added Posts container on the front page? So nobody gets spoiled?

First two thirds were terrible but the ending was good... also hated jyn... im not sure whether it was the writers or actresses faults but i just did not like her... also disliked the fellow who played tarkin... he didnt sound like tarkin... and again the plot while a little more orginal felt lacking

• Like 1

First two thirds were terrible but the ending was good... also hated jyn... im not sure whether it was the writers or actresses faults but i just did not like her... also disliked the fellow who played tarkin... he didnt sound like tarkin... and again the plot while a little more orginal felt lacking

Unlike TFA I actually quite liked this move. I thought that despite some flaws (the CGI Tarkin being one of them and the rather large cast), it was on the whole, quite good. Pretty happy that

all of the main characters die in a sacrifice, makes their effort all the more worthwhile IMO.

Oh wow, it's out already?

And I'm pretty sure it should be "Muku shaka paka", not "Mushu shaka paka"  ;)

As far as the movie... I'm not actually planning to watch it. There comes a point where I am simply not interested in this new Star Wars stuff that will probably have a bunch of stuff I don't like anyway. So yeah.

I loved that everyone died. It needed to be done.

Movie was lit. Would see again!

Thought the humor in the first act, while genuinely funny, felt out of place with the tone they were establishing.

• Like 2

I voted that the movie felt pretty good, but it was only because of the mass character death. Otherwise I'd have loved it. While I understand the mass character death was necessary, it didn't feel right to introduce a lot of characters and then kill them off willy-nilly.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie and plan to buy it. I also liked the droid. :)

• Like 2

I liked it better than The Force Awakens but the movie still had a number of issues.

I think this is just going to be a problem that I have with these modern blockbuster fantasy/science fiction movies. I think that they try to shove too many things into a single movie. The script of Rogue One is just too dense and the movie still ends up being fairly long. A lot of the scenes feel rushed and it really impacts the ability to really appreciate what's happening. And it makes it nearly impossible to do good worldbuilding.

I think the movie is kind of uninteresting up until the final battle. The plot is confusing. The characters are uninteresting. There are contrivances. I'd need to watch it again or have the script laid out for me to really go in detail about what I didn't like. Basically, what I think it comes down to is that there were two planets worth of adventure and battling: the desert one and the rocky one with the storm. There really should have just been one planet shown in more detail. I'm wondering if the script rewrite is responsible for some of the confusing choices about this.

I think the movie really picks up when the rebels assault the final planet with the Death Star plans. That might just be because at that point it's really obvious what everyone is trying to do. I also liked the variety of ships armor, and weapons shown in the battle. I still think they tried to cram too many scenes into it though. Particularly, the end of the battle seems really rushed.

There were some things that I wanted to know more about but weren't given time. I wanted to know more about the Kaiburr crystals and the monks that were on that desert planet with the temples or whatever. I feel like we learned very little about them and what their take is on the force. I would have been happy if they spent as much time learning some background/philosophy from the blind guy as they did showing him beat people up with a stick. I'm not even sure I understood who or what his friend was.

Also, I think they could have spent more time on the background of the rebels. The idea on paper was good. You have a bunch of young people who have lived under the empire their entire lives, the Empire has taken from them and now all they have to live for is the rebel cause. With the rebel alliance falling apart, they go alone on a suicide mission where they all die in a blaze of glory. I really like the concept, and that's exactly what the movie tries to do. The problem is that I think that there isn't enough time spent getting emotionally invested in these characters. I didn't really care that much when they died. And I think the movie will be a disappointment to those who care a lot more about the emotional and character-development side of Star Wars.

Finally, I while I didn't mind Tarkin appearing as a character in the movie, I wasn't a fan of the CG. Maybe it's because I play video games and I'm better at spotting this stuff but he looked really out of place. I did like the character though and I liked how he killed the main villain in the end with the Death Star. I just didn't like the CG, maybe they should have had him only appear as a hologram or something.

• Like 1

I liked it better than The Force Awakens but the movie still had a number of issues.

I think this is just going to be a problem that I have with these modern blockbuster fantasy/science fiction movies. I think that they try to shove too many things into a single movie. The script of Rogue One is just too dense and the movie still ends up being fairly long. A lot of the scenes feel rushed and it really impacts the ability to really appreciate what's happening. And it makes it nearly impossible to do good worldbuilding.

I think the movie is kind of uninteresting up until the final battle. The plot is confusing. The characters are uninteresting. There are contrivances. I'd need to watch it again or have the script laid out for me to really go in detail about what I didn't like. Basically, what I think it comes down to is that there were two planets worth of adventure and battling: the desert one and the rocky one with the storm. There really should have just been one planet shown in more detail. I'm wondering if the script rewrite is responsible for some of the confusing choices about this.

I think the movie really picks up when the rebels assault the final planet with the Death Star plans. That might just be because at that point it's really obvious what everyone is trying to do. I also liked the variety of ships armor, and weapons shown in the battle. I still think they tried to cram too many scenes into it though. Particularly, the end of the battle seems really rushed.

There were some things that I wanted to know more about but weren't given time. I wanted to know more about the Kaiburr crystals and the monks that were on that desert planet with the temples or whatever. I feel like we learned very little about them and what their take is on the force. I would have been happy if they spent as much time learning some background/philosophy from the blind guy as they did showing him beat people up with a stick. I'm not even sure I understood who or what his friend was.

Also, I think they could have spent more time on the background of the rebels. The idea on paper was good. You have a bunch of young people who have lived under the empire their entire lives, the Empire has taken from them and now all they have to live for is the rebel cause. With the rebel alliance falling apart, they go alone on a suicide mission where they all die in a blaze of glory. I really like the concept, and that's exactly what the movie tries to do. The problem is that I think that there isn't enough time spent getting emotionally invested in these characters. I didn't really care that much when they died. And I think the movie will be a disappointment to those who care a lot more about the emotional and character-development side of Star Wars.

Finally, I while I didn't mind Tarkin appearing as a character in the movie, I wasn't a fan of the CG. Maybe it's because I play video games and I'm better at spotting this stuff but he looked really out of place. I did like the character though and I liked how he killed the main villain in the end with the Death Star. I just didn't like the CG, maybe they should have had him only appear as a hologram or something.

All fair criticisms. Maybe the movie should have started with their Rogue One mission to Palm Beach, and either looked at Jyn Erso's relationship with her father through flashbacks, or simply extended the mission into more of an espionage/infiltration kind of deal, giving us time to learn about the characters and their motivations behind joining the Rebellion. Then when things hit the fan later, we have a bit more invested in the characters.

I don't think it's just you, CGI Tarkin was weird looking, but CGI faces have been getting better in recent years. Not as weird as CGI princess Leia though :|

I voted that the movie felt pretty good, but it was only because of the mass character death. Otherwise I'd have loved it. While I understand the mass character death was necessary, it didn't feel right to introduce a lot of characters and then kill them off willy-nilly.

Yes! I understood the reasoning, but it all felt so... literal. Like... we would've been totally fine with a less-congruous retcon if it meant making a better movie.

I completely agree. This was something TFA narrowly avoided, but most modern blockbusters are afflicted with.

I was frrrreeeaaaaking out over the new ships and the archival footage and the CGI resurrection and the intense amount of fan service, but once I was out of the theater it came off in retrospect as a whole lot of bravura. Like... did we need all those expensive elements? The new ships, yes, definitely. But why integrate this film so closely with ANH? Why not let these characters stand alone and go off and do other things once the Death Star plans are delivered? That being said, the fan service does give the whole thing a near-magical vibe and in-film hype.

• Like 1

Yes! I understood the reasoning, but it all felt so... literal. Like... we would've been totally fine with a less-congruous retcon if it meant making a better movie.

I completely agree. This was something TFA narrowly avoided, but most modern blockbusters are afflicted with.

I was frrrreeeaaaaking out over the new ships and the archival footage and the CGI resurrection and the intense amount of fan service, but once I was out of the theater it came off in retrospect as a whole lot of bravura. Like... did we need all those expensive elements? The new ships, yes, definitely. But why integrate this film so closely with ANH? Why not let these characters stand alone and go off and do other things once the Death Star plans are delivered? That being said, the fan service does give the whole thing a near-magical vibe and in-film hype.

I see the Ghost appeared in the battle from rebels aswell as the hammerhead ships in the background which i liked

• Like 2

I see the Ghost appeared in the battle from rebels aswell as the hammerhead ships in the background which i liked

Oh! I missed the Ghost, I'll keep an eye out for that next time.

Hammerheads were impossible to miss

Oh! I missed the Ghost, I'll keep an eye out for that next time.

Hammerheads were impossible to miss

It would be pretty awesome if we get too see this battle in Rebels at some point from there point of view, IDT theyd ad the ghost in for no specific reason

Thinking about it more, I think I have a good idea of what happened in the first act and where things got messed up in the reshoot. There was actually more exposition in the movie than I remembered. It's just that a significant of it is spent building up the Forest Whitaker character and his group of meta-rebels. But then he dies for no good reason and that whole plotline ends up being really unimportant to the rest of the movie. I'm guessing that in the original shoot, that part was longer and the whole assassination mission on the stormy canyon planet wasn't there. I'm also guessing the Kaiburr crystals played the role of an actual MacGuffin. We hear that they're important to building the Death Star but the Empire is already done extracting them by the time the characters arrive there. Well I'm not completely sure. When I watch it again, I'll try to figure out what other scenes seemed out of place.

Saw it yesterday. It was good. A bit boring in the middle, but it overall I liked it more than TFA.

I voted that the movie felt pretty good, but it was only because of the mass character death. Otherwise I'd have loved it.

I actually loved the fact that they all died. If they didn't - the movie would be just OK to me. But that's me - I just like movies where everybody dies in the end. I'm a terrible person  ;)

And to see Vader in the actual action... It was awesome! They really showed WHY the whole galaxy was terrified of him in the OT.

The worst part of the movie was what's-her-name's speeches about hope at the Rebel's base. She has no charisma and is a terrible actress. For a moment at the end I was worried she'd be the only one to survive, glad she didn't. In fact I love how everyone died, I really did not see that coming. The whole ending sequence, stealing the Death Star plans (so the whole second half of the movie, basically?) was pretty awesome.

I loved how Rebels were portrayed as terrorists, willing to kill random people to advance their goal, instead of just being righteous, perfect freedom fighters. I wish they did the same with the Empire and showed a "good" side of theirs, instead of making them completely evil.

Blind ninja dude was super cool and his final scene was amazing. Now THAT is what the Force is about. Not random game-y Force attacks, but trusting it, and letting it help you. More of that in EVIII please.

Other characters weren't particularly memorable though, and the whole opening sequence didn't really seem needed. Whole first half of the movie was mostly hit and miss.

Overall not bad. Could have been better though.

EDIT: Oh and I totally forgot about the Stormtroopers. Come on they were more useless than ever. It got pretty ridiculous.

• Like 5

well, this movie does not look like the other, I misses the Star Wars Opening Crawl  from  Star Wars Episodes 1-7, Start wars music and the text which you start with the story title....Rogue One  a Star Wars story.   Nice work on Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia, and I was sad i the final end of this movie.   The same tragedy like Star Wars Episode 7 with the Han Solo killed by his own son, Ben Solo.

:horse:

We watched it last saturday. I thought it was very cool but I'm looking forward to rewatching it with the blu-ray because I felt the 3D wasn't adding much and was only bringing down the experience for me.
I thought Tarkin was pretty convincing and cool, Vader was super bad ass, Leia.. I'll have to rewatch that bit (my girl thought it was pretty fake), for now it was mostly fun to see her.
I was expecting a scene where they actually inserted the card into R2, but I can make up some things that bridge that part.

It's one of the few films I've seen where I walked out thinking "Wow, that was the best film I've ever seen in my life." I know it's not, but it did give me that feeling. The whole part from Scarif was frankly fantastic. I had genuine fear and excitement throughout it all, which I can't quite say for Episode VII. I definitely preferred it.

I have some criticisms; it took a while to get going and I wish we could've had a bit more time with the characters (some bits felt rushed and others not strictly necessary), but overall I'm much more optimistic about these spin-offs and Disney's reign over Star Wars now than I was before. I don't think it reaches the heights of the original or Empire Strikes Back, but I think it might just be a tiny bit better than Return of the Jedi. 

Though I've only just come back from it, and I'll have to watch it again before making a proper judgement.

• Like 1

Guest Ezyrlybe

Watched it today, it was good in general but (like everyone else) it had it's flaws. JYNJYN's speech had such a...cheesy feeling. I would've also loved if they didn't cut as much footage out. I will say that it definitely ranks higher than TFA.

The part that really had me was the ending massacre. I knew they had to activate a lightsaber at least once. Seeing Vader deliver these heavy one-handed slashes and force grips with this "no mercy" attitude was just...awesome.

Anyone notice the "General Syndulla" reference?