TSL HD Cockpit Skyboxes

HD Cockpit Skyboxes

DESCRIPTION
When you land the Ebon Hawk on a planet, you are able to  look out of the cockpit and view the landing platform.  This is achieved by a cylindrical texture. Since the vanilla textures were low res, inaccurate, and desaturated, I recreated the platforms in Maya and rendered them to look as they do in-game. The main planets, including M4-78, are all remastered in 4096x1024. I also include a version of the Nar Shaddaa cockpit texture that utilizes the Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox mod by Sharen Thrawn. Additionally, I've upscaled and retouched the outer hull of the ship as seen from the cockpit. If you need downscaled versions, the Medium Resolution option provides 2048x512 resolution skyboxes while the Low Resolution option provides 1024x256 resolution skyboxes (the size from the vanilla game). I'm also offering these textures in TPC format, which tends to be 1/4th the size and download time of the uncompressed files.

INSTALLATION
-Drop all of the files from the main mod folder into your override folder.
-If you want the cockpit texture that uses the Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox mod,
replace the EBO_Sky01.tga file with the one from the folder labeled With Nar Shaddaa Realistic Skybox.

UNINSTALLATION
-Delete the aforementioned files from your override folder.

THANX
Thanks to Photoshop, Maya, MDLOps, Gmax, KotORmax, GIMP, Blender, KotORBlender, and ESRGAN.

Special Thanks to Sharen Thrawn for making the Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox mod.

Please don't repost this on other sites unless as part of a mod pack (with proper credit to me)

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    10/28/2016
  • Category
  • TSLRCM Compatible
    Yes

• Like 2

This is sooo awesome! Thanks for finishing this mod, it will never again leave my Override folder, that's for sure.

One question: Can you even enter the Ebon Hawk in the Telos academy and on Malachor?

Edit: One more question: I can't find the M4-78 file (ebo_sky801dro.tga) in the download even though you mention M4-78 in the description. Is that intended?

One question: Can you even enter the Ebon Hawk in the Telos academy and on Malachor?

I don't believe you can on Malachor, but in the Telos Academy when you return after Kreia kills the Masters you start in the Hawk and run around the Academy until you meet up with Atris.

This is sooo awesome! Thanks for finishing this mod, it will never again leave my Override folder, that's for sure.

Edit: One more question: I can't find the M4-78 file (ebo_sky801dro.tga) in the download even though you mention M4-78 in the description. Is that intended?

I cant remember on malachor but you do fight off the sith on the telos academy and may possibly go to the cockpit of the hawk if any get into the hawk aswel

I cant remember on malachor but you do fight off the sith on the telos academy and may possibly go to the cockpit of the hawk if any get into the hawk aswel

That's Peragus

That's Peragus

overthinking things as ussual xD *Hits head against wall*

Definite permaoveride material! This realy improves the experience aboard the ebon hawk.

How about animating the Dxun waterfall?

Animating a skybox texture is pretty much impossible since you need the full resolution for each frame which would result in huge file sizes that many computers and possibly even the game can't handle.

Animating a skybox texture is pretty much impossible since you need the full resolution for each frame which would result in huge file sizes that many computers and possibly even the game can't handle.

Mmmmmm.. it looks really bizarre with a static waterfall tho. Any alternative?

Mmmmmm.. it looks really bizarre with a static waterfall tho. Any alternative?

One could add a second plane with a smaller texture that covers just the waterfall to the model and then animate this smaller texture. That would get around the huge file size issue but I'm not sure if it'd be possible to make it seamless. And you'd probably only have like 16 frames, so the animation wouldn't be very smooth and would be repeated very often. But that might still be better than a static waterfall.

One could add a second plane with a smaller texture that covers just the waterfall to the model and then animate this smaller texture. That would get around the huge file size issue but I'm not sure if it'd be possible to make it seamless. And you'd probably only have like 16 frames, so the animation wouldn't be very smooth and would be repeated very often. But that might still be better than a static waterfall.

How large would the file have to be to perform at a smooth pattern?

How large would the file have to be to perform at a smooth pattern?

Depends on how often you want it repeated. A smooth animation should probably have 20 or more frames per second, maybe even 30 frames per second. Let's say you want the animation to take only one second and then repeat itself, you now need 30 frames in one texture.

The problem here is that for KotOR, you usually want to keep the texture width and height a power of two, so let's assume that the original texture fulfills this criteria, then the number of frames per row and column has to be a power of two. I'm not quite sure if non-square textures are possible. If they are, then you could use 8x4 frames for a total of 32 frames. If not, you'd be stuck with either 4x4=16 or 8x8=64 frames.

The "high quality" option of this mod uses 4096x4096 textures, so that would result in a texture size between 16384x16384 and 32768x32768 or a filesize of something like 800 and 3200MB (unless tga compression can do something about that).

Animating only the waterfall would be possible with a 1024x1024 cutout from the original texture, resulting in a size of 4096x4096 to 8129x8129 or a filesize of 50 to 200MB which is somewhat realistic but would still only allow a smooth one second animation!

(Note: I calculated the filesizes by simply multiplying the filesize of this mod's textures with the number of frames. I don't know if those are compressed or not and I don't know how well the tga compression handles repeated texture parts. Both of these might significantly lower the filesize.)

Mod has been updated to version 3.1. So far, I've added an upscaled version of the Ebon Hawk's outer hull and I've provided a download of the textures in TPC format, which is 1/4th the size and download time.

• Like 1