Sign in to follow this  
Sithspecter

MOD:High Quality Blasters

High Quality Blasters

A KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC II MODIFICATION

High Quality Blasters

By Sithspecter

Installation:

Point the installer towards your Knights of the Old Republic II game folder (not the override folder) to install High Quality Blasters.

Description:

When Knights of the Old Republic II was released in December 2004, it made a number of improvements over the first installment. However, the blaster models were still the same low-quality models as before. After remastering all the blasters in the first game, I knew I had to make the same high-quality blasters available for the sequel.

This mod completely replaces the existing blasters with newly modeled firearms, complete with high quality textures. Special care was taken to retain the form and look of the original items, but in a high quality package. Each weapon was carefully textured based on close examination of its default counterpart. It's a much improved package that I hope will be a permanent addition to your TSL override folder for years to come.

Use:

Use of High Quality Blasters is extremely easy. Run the installer, then play the game. That's it! The new models will automatically appear when you load up your last save.

However, this mod does make a couple .uti changes to avoid doubling up on weapon textures. I've applied a new model and texture to a few items that share a model and texture in the default game. The following items are affected:

Benok’s Blaster
Blaster Rifle
Heavy Repeating Blaster Rifle
Plasma Projector

What this means is that if you already have one of these items, it will still show up as high quality, but it will share a texture with another high quality item. If you re-acquire one of these through cheats or KSE, it will appear properly. This will not negatively affect the gameplay in anyway.

Bugs:

Due to differences between the body models (especially female), the weapons will sometimes appear to clip the hands (especially in the female off-hand). There is nothing I can do about this without introducing more issues, it is something that happens with the default weapons, and you will have to live with it.

Credit:

Thanks to 90SK, Fair Strides, Varsity Puppet, and Kexikus for providing feedback for this mod.

Credit goes to Kexikus for the inspiration from your screenshots. They look fantastic so I modeled the screenshots for this mod after your High Definition Skyboxes mod.

Permissions:

Do not upload this mod or assets from this mod, modified or not, to other sites without my express permission. I have uploaded this mod to multiple sites and can provide support on those sites.

Legal:

THIS MODIFICATION IS PROVIDED AS-IS AND IS NOT SUPPORTED BY BIOWARE/OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT, LUCASARTS, DISNEY OR ANY LICENSERS/SPONSORS OF THE MENTIONED COMPANIES. USE OF THIS FILE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND THE ABOVE MENTIONED COMPANIES OR THE AUTHOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR THE USAGE OF THIS FILE.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    09/19/2016
  • Category
  • TSLRCM Compatible

• Like 3

I found a problem, when I clicked the TSLpatcher it was going well up until it was nearly finished when I got this message:

• Error: Invalid file version. Loaded file is not in GFF V3.2 format! (GFF-1)

When I went ingame nearly all Blasters didn't have icons and when I tried to equip a blaster the game crashes

That's very, very odd. Is there any chance you had the KotOR version also and accidentally installed it into your TSL folder?

Pretty sure I've installed the TSL version into the TSL game. I actually got the mod working though I still get that weird error.

Can you do a test for me? I want you to extract the High Quality Blasters archive into a folder. Then extract the following UTI files with the KotOR tool:

• w_brifle_004.uti
  • w_brifle_018.uti
  • w_brifle_022.uti
  • benoksblaster.uti (KotOR II \ RIMs \ 208TEL_s.rim \ Blueprint Item)

Put those in the tslpatchdata folder and then try the install again. I think those may be the culprit as when I try to open them in KotOR Tool, they show up as K1 for some reason.

Also what did you to do get it working now?

I think I've found a bug with this mod. The repeating blaster rifles on the War Droid model are textured with C_DrdWar01 instead of the weapon texture. I actually found this accidentally while trying to replace the repeater mesh with the higher poly one using kotorblender. I thought I was doing something wrong at first, but I've tested this now using your unmodified files and an unmodified game and I get the same result. The version for KotOR 1 is textured correctly, and I've tried just converting that model with MDLedit but I get the same issue. I have also had success replacing the gun mesh in blender and it works in game, but I get the same texture bug there as well. Just to reiterate, the bug happens with unmodified files from your mod, and an unmodified game.

Also I'd like to say High Quality Blasters is my all time favorite KotOR mod. It's not even close.

K2_00003.png

I figured it out. This is a vanilla bug and it happens in the base game. I noticed it inside the Exchange module on Telos, when Slusk send out his guard droids to kill you. Basically what's happening is that there are five different War Droid appearances in appearance.2da. Slusks war droids use the second one, I think. I noticed that if I set something to the first War Droid appearance it looks fine. The first entry has a blank in the racetex column, and of course the texture references are baked into the model. Somehow the racetex column is replacing the image for every map on the model. So I have sort of fixed it by setting all the racetex columns as blank, but then I don't get texture variations. I think the correct fix here is to just recompile the model five times with each texture variation and change the race column maybe? Not entirely sure.

droidfind.JPG

3 minutes ago, DarthParametric said:

The problem is that integrated guns use the droid's racetex texture due to how appearance.2da works. SS has a fix, it just hasn't been uploaded yet.

And I thought I was being clever.

9 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

This mod might fix your issue.

8 hours ago, DarthParametric said:

The vanilla issue is fixed by the Community Patches.

Yes, as I recall, I updated my mod with the same fix we added to the Community Patch. So either should work in the meantime until SS is able to add the fix to his mod.

Just note that SS's mod requires a tweaked version to match his revised weapon models. So while the fix I made for the Community Patches works fine with the vanilla gun models, when used with this mod the guns will be slightly mispositioned, possibly with some minor clipping.

Here's the model from the community patch tweaked for better alignment with HQB. I tweaked it last night but I wasn't sure anybody would want it. Per the thread and what I was doing it's the TSL version.

HQB_WarDroidFix.7z

Installed the mod, and used ajdrenter's fix in the override folder, and during a playthrough I've noticed all my war bots blaster textures appear black. Not sure what the issue is though

War_Bot_Bug3.jpg

I am also getting the same issue, same droid in the same place. I believe these are assassin droids though so I don't know if anyone has made a fix for them yet?