spacej

Bugs and Suggestions

So I finally got around to trying out Kotor Toolset, and while parts of it seem better than Kotor Tool, it does have a few issues.  When creating a new .UT file, it capitalizes the .UT extension by default, and it cannot be read in the game contents frame until you change the extension to all lower-case letters.  Also, when first using Toolset, the window that asks you where Kotor 1 and 2 are seems to hint that you can tell it where those games are later if you don't do it now by changing the Options settings, but when I go to Options under View, I can't seem to find anything that allows me to tell it where Kotor 1 and 2 are.  (I told it where Kotor 1 was, but not 2, and there doesn't seem to be any other feature that allows you to tell the program where those games are, meaning I'll have to delete the .ini file to do this.)

Also, a few suggestions/questions about the Toolset.  Will there be a zoom tool for the Area View window?  Will we be able to create new areas instead of just editing them?  Also, I was able to delete an object on the map by pressing the Delete key, but I had to figure that out on my own, it wasn't detailed in the Readme file, and I would have assumed you'd have to right-click to get an option to delete or click the object and hit backspace.  Will there be better instructions or editing options in the next stable version?

Also, keep in mind I used the version on Deadlystream, so some of these issues may or may not already be fixed.  Thanks!

Currently the Toolset is only available on Deadlystream and I haven't had much time to really work on it.

I will correct that extension case issue soon. As far as the game paths, I will reference the read-me's section on the File menu:

"Change TLK File Paths... – Will be renamed to “Change Game Paths...”
later on, but this allows you to change the paths for either KotOR game."

As for the read-me itself, I do intend to expand on it later, but I always say that if someone wants to write something up, I am more than willing to look over it, possibly modify it a bit, and will include it into the documentation.

I haven't planned on making the editor zoomable, but I would like to hear your thoughts on the feature and why it should be added. I promise I won't bite, so feel free to be honest. :)

A couple new questions; is there any way to edit the inventory of a placeable or creature that already exists on the map, or just new ones?  The maps seem to be displayed at a different angle then they appear in the actual game's map screen, any way to adjust this?  Finally, any chance of adding compatibility with Jade Empire?  When I try to open a Jade Empire module with Kotor Toolset, it freezes up and I have to close it, while Kotor Tool will at least let me edit some parts of Jade Empire modules, such as scripts and dialog.

You can't access the inventory of a file that exists on the map unless you open it in the appropriate editor (which can be done either through right-clicking the icon in the Area View [i think I had that functionality...], right-clicking in the Area Contents section, or through the button that shows up in the Properties section [though I forget if the "Use GFF Properties" button needs to be off for this to show up or not...]).

The map is displayed at its "true" angle in the Toolset. The in-game map screen can only show maps in a rectangle view with the top and bottom wider than the left and right sides. I haven't yet looked into how the game determines the orientation, but once I do, I should be able to make the map rotate in the area view. I just don't know if it'll screw up with the coordinate system... :(

Adding compatibility for Jade Empire might be a possibility, except for two things:

1. This is called the "KotOR Toolset", so it'd make sense to specialize it for the KotOR games' idiosyncrasies in the file formats.

2. Jade Empire's files are likely in a different (but this is Bioware, so similar) format. I'd need a lot of time to study them and see what is still true to my own knowledge...

As to why the levels make the KotOR Toolset freeze, it's because the Toolset looks for particular sections of the file formats and loads files included in the level while the level is being processed and loaded. It's quite likely that it simply will not find the files it's being told it needs to find.

Any way edits made to base game modules can be made without interfering with other mods that edit that same module?  Or will we have to edit the module used by the mod if we want both that mod and any new changes we want to make?