index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&id=833

File Name: Improved AI

File Submitter: Stoffe

File Submitted: 06 Mar 2016

File Category: Mods

TSLRCM Compatible: Yes

Warning:
==========
Largely considered compatible with TSLRCM, except for one part: it cause some problems with one scene on Nar Shaddaa (you might be unable to select a third teammember during a cutscene so have to do some hard battles with just Bao-Dur and Atton).
==========

Original Review on Filefront:

This mod changes a lot of stuff, so I'm not going to go into detail on everything, but I'll hit the hilights.

The first thing you need to know about this mod is that it is designed to work with Stoffe's High Level Force Powers and the 2.1 update. Despite what the installer's info text says, you do not need the high level Force powers mod to run this AI mod, but you'll probably want to give it a download to get the full effect if you don't already have it.

So the basic premise of this mod is to improve the AI, as you might have guessed from the name. It does make a lot of changes, and some of them are very important changes. For instance characters will now stop using outdated skills, such as using flurry when they have improved flurry. The same is true for Force powers. This will, in effect, make the AI a little tougher to combat, since they're now fighting "smarter" than they were before. However your party will also be fighting smarter. Some special alterations have been made to party members, such as Hanharr and Bao Dur. Hanharr will occasionally use Wookiee rage, and Bao Dur will use his shield breaker ability against opponents using energy shields. Handy, no?

There are dozens of changes you'll find in this mod, and I urge you to read them all when you're installing the mod. However one thing that's sure is that these changes all improve the AI, make the AI more believable, and make the game more challenging and thus (for most people) more entertaining. No longer will the NPCs act silly or foolishly as they originally did on occasion. For those wishing a more complete, more accurate, more realistic game, this is certainly a must-have.

Note: Please leave the author feedback, especially if you download this mod and use it. It really helps encourage the author to make more mods in the future.

~Inyri

Click here to download this file

• Like 3

A quick question. Is there anyway you could make a version that just improves the enemy AI and leaves the party AI alone? Also, I'm not entirely sure if this mod has the incompatibility listed in the download section. I remember reading a post on Reddit that mentioned one guy and a few of his friends had this mod and TSLRCM installed; they did not encounter the issue posted. Perhaps that issue only occurs when the High Level Force Powers mod is installed alongside this one?

Not sure about the issue (that was going by the Mod Compatibility List for TSLRCM in the TSLRCM section; quoted almost word for word).

As far as enemy only, you could feasibly go through and add faction checks that the object is of a faction hostile to the Friendly_1 and Friendly_2 factions, but I'm not really sure.

I found this post about a possible bug over at LucasForums.

I noticed a problem with this mod where party members sometimes select ranged feats when they're equipped with a melee weapon, or melee feats when equipped with a blaster. Anyone else noticed this?

Would it be possible for the enemy AI to have access to the force powers in the High Level Force Powers mod (Also created by Stoffe.), but not have those powers accessible to your own party? I really want to ramp up the difficulty of the AI in this game, sort of as a "mirror" to the added difficulty of the "Impossible" difficulty added by K1R.

EDIT: To give a more clear explanation of my request, Stoffe has already given the AI the ability to use those added force powers of his in this specific mod, but it requires the High Level Force Powers mod to be installed as well. This gives your own party access to these powers as well, and I would like for that access to be completely removed. It would also be swell if the potential incompatibility with TSLRCM could be looked into.

Once again, I will ask stoffe. Also, I'm not sure it's possible to make powers that only the AI get, though you could try removing the forcehostile and forcefriendly entries in the spells.2da row (set them to ****).

As for just mirroring the K1R difficulty option, all you need is KotOR Tool. You'd open the difficultyopt.2da file in KotOR Tool, go to the last row, set the name column to 1322, change the label column to "Impossible", and the last entry in that row is the multiplier effect for the difficulty setting. You can adjust that yourself, but for reference, K1R sets it to 3.0, literally double Difficult.

You would then click somewhere else in the file and then save the .2da to your Override folder.

As for just mirroring the K1R difficulty option

I meant in a figurative sense, as I have a new way to make KOTOR 1 more difficult (Via the new Impossible difficulty.) I wanted something similar for KOTOR 2 (Via improved enemy AI). I like to pretend that my modded games are official "expansion packs",  and that the developers were addressing concerns with the games being too easy. Then, after they released KOTOR 1's expansion pack, they found a way to  improve how they made the game more difficult for the sequel's expansion pack  :D

EDIT: Anywho, I know how busy you are Fair Strides with everything else (Sleheyron, K1R 1.2, and who knows what else lol). You don't need to do this right away or at all, so I hope you didn't get the impression that I was ordering you specifically to cater to my requests (I may actually use the High Level Force Powers mod as is after all, I'm still deciding).

Well, in case you haven't contacted him yet, I found out about another quirk in this mod from another thread.

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/3685-new-gameplay-mechanics-via-feats/

just checked. i do have one k_sup_grenade.ncs from Modified Combat AI For High Level Force Powers. Forgot about it, but the only thing that says it changes with grenades is that Mira launches them in ranged AI...surly that wouldn't change the core functions of grenades buy adding a conditional modifier to them, would it?

Yup, that's the culprit. He's added in checks for the wrist launcher to add her Demolitions rank straight onto the damage and DC. Probably a modification made for personal use that he forgot was present when he made the AI bits.

Actually, that particular "bonus" is probably stoffe making grenades work like mines...

You see, in K2, mines get a bonus to damage by directly adding the Demolitions skill. Most mines also get a bonus to their range, but it's the Demolitions skill divided by a number (usually 2 or 3).

Well I was interested in using the mod in that link I posted in my previous post. My biggest issue with this change is that it makes the mod in the link incompatible with this one. Could I possibly just delete that greande file from this mod so it doesn't conflict with the new feat + force powers one? I would honestly rather the core mechanics of the game be left untouched, so I don't exactly want this alteration to the grenades.

Apologies for the thread necro, but I figured, it's the right way to ask a question about this mod. Please let me know if I figured wrong.

I'm not sure how to get Stoffe's "Improved AI 2.2" to work properly. There's a number of caveats that might matter, so I'll list them here:

I'm playing the Steam version of the game, on OS X. I've installed several other mods successfully so far, so modding the game on OS X works, but I wanted to mention it.

As a result of the above (running OS X), I run the installer in this mod with Wine. Again, this seems to be working, but I should mention it since it's likely not the default use case.

So here are my questions/problems:

I also have TSLRCM installed. All other mods I've installed so far went into the TSLRCM override folder (which seems to be the common suggestion). However, the Improved AI installer asks for the *game directory* and proceeds to install into that override folder. Is this intended? Which one is the right one?

I have already tried installing into either of the two override folders (uninstalled in between of course), then tested if the mod works -- but I'm not sure if it does.

Is there a clear way to tell if the mod is active and working as intended? I tested one item from the mod's readme: Equip T3-M4 with a droid arm but no blaster. In vanilla, he will attempt to melee attack, while the Improved AI readme says he will use the arm.

After installing the mod, however, he still seems to melee only, which makes me think install didn't work properly. Any ideas how to test it?

One last remark: I installed the "no high-level force power" version (because ideally, I'd only like NPCs to better use the vanilla force powers, not additional powers), don't know if that makes any difference/explains the above.

Any help appreciated!

I sadly can't help you with the testing part. My only idea would be that maybe you need a fresh game for it to work and not an older savegame, but that's only a wild guess since I don't know how the mod works.

About the fact that the mod asks you to install into the "game directory". That's simply because it's waaaay older than Steam workshop and back then (and actually still today) that's the standard folder you need to point TSLPatcher to. The exception to that is when you have TSLRCM from the Steam workshop. Then you need to point TSLPatcher to TSLRCM's override folder, but you won't find mention of that in most mod's readme files.

I sadly can't help you with the testing part. My only idea would be that maybe you need a fresh game for it to work and not an older savegame, but that's only a wild guess since I don't know how the mod works.

About the fact that the mod asks you to install into the "game directory". That's simply because it's waaaay older than Steam workshop and back then (and actually still today) that's the standard folder you need to point TSLPatcher to. The exception to that is when you have TSLRCM from the Steam workshop. Then you need to point TSLPatcher to TSLRCM's override folder, but you won't find mention of that in most mod's readme files.

I see, thanks!

I'll start a new test game then, to see if I can determine if the mod works there or not.

I still suspect that the "no high level force power" version (that I installed) and the regular version are different *aside* from just using these powers.. took a quick look into the code, and it seems the scripts of the "no high level" version are different, beyond the use of force powers.

Stoffe isn't around/active anymore, right? So I shouldn't expect him to swoop in and answer my question, right? :D

Has anyone played through K2 recently with this and if so, did you use High Level FPs?

Alas, but I do not see any improvements in AI. The behavior of the grenadiers does not work for sopratians at all; they use old skills instead of new ones. This game really lacks adequate AI.