Hey guys

I just stumbled upon a project called "Apeiron" which is a remake of the first KOTOR game. Has anyone heard about it ?

Here's the link to their website : http://www.apeirongame.com/

They use the Unreal Engine 4 to create it and it looks really promising. Apparently they got Disney's autorization, so it's 100% legal.

endar1-full.png

tatooine3-full.png

endar4-full.png

compare2-full.png

EDIT: Also make sure to check out their Twitter account, it got a lot of neat pictures : https://twitter.com/apeiron_kotor

Pretty sure we had a thread about that like yesterday?

Either way, it'll probably get taken down by Disney anyway. I wish people would learn to just finish their game and release it. Announcing it beforehand almost always ends up with it getting taken down.

It wasn't a thread per se but a status update I put up; it is gone from the list because of newer status updates.

You all might want to read this blog post by SH in response to this project.

Apparently they got Disney's autorization, so it's 100% legal.

Yeah right, ten bucks says they're bluffing/lying and Disney is getting ready to nuke them out of orbit.

• Like 1

It wasn't a thread per se but a status update I put up; it is gone from the list because of newer status updates.

You all might want to read this blog post by SH in response to this project.

Oh well. Sorry, I didn't see that, I only looked on the forums if there was already a thread on this matter, not in the blog posts.

Yeah right, ten bucks says they're bluffing/lying and Disney is getting ready to nuke them out of orbit.

Well, good thing I said "Apparently they got autorization"  :innocent:  But yes, most of these projects get shut down after a while. The most hurtful one IMO being the MERP mod for Skyrim *sigh*.

I'm cautiously hopeful that it'll be finished. Very few have ever seen release. 

Maybe because game remakes tend to be illegal and people just find any way they can to rationalize the project...?

• Like 1

You may as well add your voice to the blog post if you haven't done so already. There's no need to promote this thing twice.

There's no reason to close the thread just because you've made a blog post on the topic.

I'm not a fan of the pictures they released, doesn't give me the feel of the Endare Spire or Tatooine. Honestly I don't think many people are expecting this to be completed - even ignoring the legal issues (though they don't believe there are any). So many mods have promised to try and remaster KotOR/TSL and eventually failed (Like that Massive Enhancement Mod that haunts ModDB), so it's not worth anyone getting their hopes up.

That's not to say there aren't dedicated modders out there (so many of them on this very site), just that most of them can spell correctly.

I don't want to sound like an arse, but I highly doubt this project will ever be finished if Disney haven't shut it down first. 

Maybe because game remakes tend to be illegal and people just find any way they can to rationalize the project...?

Questionably legal, yes. Illegal? There's no real precedent, most don't want to take the risk and comply with a cease and desist.  Looks like they've got some work into it, so I'm giving the project the benefit of the doubt.

There's no reason for Disney to send a C&D because it's never going to be finished anyway. I bet they won't even start programming half of the features KOTOR had.

People who actually have the skill to pull off this kind of project wouldn't bother, because they'd know they can make a more productive use of their time by doing literally anything else (like making their own game and getting something out of it).

• Like 1

There's no reason for Disney to send a C&D because it's never going to be finished anyway. I bet they won't even start programming half of the features KOTOR had.

People who actually have the skill to pull off this kind of project wouldn't bother, because they'd know they can make a more productive use of their time by doing literally anything else (like making their own game and getting something out of it).

Or, you know, work on a project that will actually get them $$$

This thing isn't going to produce anything in the near future. By the time it does, far superior game engines will be available. Case and point, Black Mesa. (their devs confuse me though, since they seem keen to release MP content when their f***ing singleplayer isn't complete yet. Who played Half Life for multi-anyway)

However, I'd rather a remake be in the hands of fans rather than Bioware since Bioware doesn't know how to make a good game/RPG anymore, plus with EA over their heads its bound to be "streamlined".

• Like 1

That's basically what I meant.

However, I'd rather a remake be in the hands of fans rather than Bioware since Bioware doesn't know how to make a good game/RPG anymore, plus with EA over their heads its bound to be "streamlined".

I think it's rather EA we have to blame. Considering the disaster that was Battlefront, there's not much hope for future Star Wars games, especially in terms of content.

• Like 1

I think it's rather EA we have to blame. Considering the disaster that was Battlefront, there's not much hope for future Star Wars games, especially in terms of content.

Oh that was my point all along, ever since Mass Effect 1, Bioware's game quality has gone down significantly and steadily, and EA is to blame.

Anyone fans of Sega? The same thing that happened with the Streets of Rage Remake will likely end up happening here. The developers have permission to proceed, but If this remake is finished, and I doubt that will ever happen, then it'll get the C&D card quickly.

The developers have permission to proceed...

Have a source for that information? Permission from who?

• Like 2

I'm sorry, I may have worded that poorly/inaccurately. When I said "permission", I really just meant a lack of notification from the original content producer. In reference to my original comparison, the Streets of Rage Remake was allowed to proceed into it's final version with some old betas released in the progress. Sega showed no interest in it, but when the final version of the remake was released, Sega told the remake's developer to cease distrubuting the game, less the remake team want to face any more issues. 

Aside from actually finishing their game, what also happened, I think, was that the remake team was asking for donations to complete their project. That's an immediate red flag; I don't believe any profits or revenue from donations can go into the making of a fan product when it's based on an already trademarked IP. Wouldn't that could be considering profiting off of the original IP?  The Kotor Remake's website, while saying they won't currently be taking donations, said that they can. Kind of vague, but still.

I don't really have any faith in this remake being complete any time in the future, legal pressure being a factor or otherwise. The project's goal is just too massive. Regardless,  what they're doing is probably legal, but just barely. It wouldn't surprise me if the project developer(s) got a C&D anyway. 

Don't get your hopes up... remember those teams promising they would just finish up a KOTOR3 for us. Yup, all dead. To no-one's surprise really. Expect these guys to follow suit.

I wish we'd thought of that ;)

WHY... Why did we make TSLRCM instead of $$$ :/

Ahum...

This thing isn't going to produce anything in the near future. By the time it does, far superior game engines will be available. Case and point, Black Mesa. (their devs confuse me though, since they seem keen to release MP content when their f***ing singleplayer isn't complete yet. Who played Half Life for multi-anyway)

Dang, I agree with Dr. Evil? This truly is an unique day.

Dang, I agree with Dr. Evil? This truly is an unique day.

Hey, just because we didn't agree on one topic doesn't mean we can't on others. I just am a vicious debater, that's all :P.

I actually did some modding work for a remake of Classic Doom onto Unreal 3 some years back with a group of people and it didn't produce anything simply because we all had other crap to deal with, and that's exactly what I expect to happen with this one. Barely a handful of projects with this kind of aspiration from fans EVER become reality, and when they do it is significantly down the road.

And given what I've seen, it looks more like Mass Effect in Star Wars