Sign in to follow this  
Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Atton teaches Exile Pazaak

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

This is a spoiler post. Just wanted to give the devs feedback....

The use of the seated area for the pazaak scene and teaching the Exile to protect his/her thoughts, I found to be a delightful little change.

I am not sure which version of TSLRCM added that improvement, but it is definitely welcome!

Yeah I liked that too. Plus, I think in the original game you don't even get to play the game of Pazaak; it just fades out and back in.

Pazaak is pretty easy. There's a random element that can make it sorta tricky at times, but once you get the hang of how things tend to work and pick up a half-decent side-deck it gets pretty easy to win consistently.

At first, just be sure to do a quick-save before you play a game if you don't wanna lose a lot trying to get the hang of things.

-Kitt

• Like 1

Pazaak is not hard or easy, it's all completely lucked based. I call bullshit on anyone who says the game requires skill. Every time I beat someone at Pazaak in Kotor/TSL, It was because the random card draw favored me or I had a good side deck because I forked over the credits to buy the cards. The same applies vice-versa for my opponent. 

• Like 2

Pazaak is not hard or easy, it's all completely lucked based. I call bullshit on anyone who says the game requires skill. Every time I beat someone at Pazaak in Kotor/TSL, It was because the random card draw favored me or I had a good side deck because I forked over the credits to buy the cards. The same applies vice-versa for my opponent. 

Pazaak is all about counting numbers, I find it easy... You just have to be sure, its easy to work the NPC over the 20

Honestly, you can't guarantee winning (hence you can lose to bad hands dealt), but you can at least increase your chances by actually following Atton's advice.

You count your current number and calculate how many ways the computer can screw you over by giving you higher cards, and decide if it's worth the risk. You greatly increase your chance of winning by buying exotic cards like the +/- and for TSL, the super specialty cards later on.

Ironically, it's kind of funny how the designers basically say their perspective on Pazaak throughout both games, like that Niklos who accuses you of cheating no matter what (not unlike how we accuse the computer), and Atton complains that the player going first makes it automatically worse for you.. There are probably more, but I can't remember them.

Pazaak is all about counting numbers, I find it easy... You just have to be sure, its easy to work the NPC over the 20

That's considered skill? I do that as well.

Pazaak is not hard or easy, it's all completely lucked based. I call bs on anyone who says the game requires skill. Every time I beat someone at Pazaak in Kotor/TSL, It was because the random card draw favored me or I had a good side deck because I forked over the credits to buy the cards. The same applies vice-versa for my opponent. 

There is a small degree of strategy involved, mainly in when to play or not play your hand cards. Getting the better hand cards also helps a lot.

But it's mostly luck.

All this talk about Pazaak and no one has made a blog post about it? Wasted opportunity.

Back on topic: Qui-Gon, I am sure that the TSLRCM gurus are happy about your comment.

Sorry bout that, SH.. I get carried away, sometimes. :)

Personally, this restored content conversation has always been one of my favorites, especially since it gives some perspective on how the Galaxy has adapted to protect itself from and/or combat Jedi.

It's pretty weighted in KOTOR1 against the player, but doable in KOTOR2. Yes, there is luck, but the right strategy (saving cards for example) seriously helps giving you an edge that mere luck does not.

And it was added in 1.8, slightly influenced by the TSLRP (and by the game development notes). Of course, I couldn't really alter the EH walkway like them so had to totally cheat with the camera to hide they're sitting in air, but good to hear that it all worked out in the end :D

I've never seen that scene. Might I ask how to get it?

The second time Kreia teaches you about listening, when you hear your crew's thoughts, among them will be Atton counting Pazaak cards in his head. After the lesson is finished, you can go and talk to him about it.