Sign in to follow this  
Nathan_hale53

Large Mod Lists

I have been wondering how many people's mod lists look with larger mods, such as SLM or NPC overhaul, or with several of mods. How stable is everyone's game? How many odd/gamebreaking glitches has anyone encountered? I am a bit nervous to install the larger mods because, unlike Skyrim or New Vegas, KotOR II is a lot more sensitive to modding than those games. I already have the steam version TSLCRM, and M4-78EP mod installed from this site. I plan to add, G0-T0 Overhaul by Darth sapiens, NPC Overhaul, Dustil Restoration, Quarter Staff overhaul, Weapons Model Overhaul + the AMAZING retexture, a few heads, and SEVERAL re-textures which overall I am not worried, except for the Telos Overhaul... So how extensive are some of your lists and what adverse effects has anyone encountered? Also, does anyone have a mod lists similar to mine? I have used Quarter Staff overhaul, Weapons Model Overhaul, TSLCRM, Dustil Restoration, M4-78, and many retextures.

Kotor modding is a bit different where all mods are tested in order to see if they are compatible with the bigger mods, like TSLRCM. As far as I know, NPC Overhaul and Dustil Restoration work fine together.

(However, GO-TO Overhaul is currently conflicting with TSLRCM, but a team is hard at work in getting it fixed. Until further notice, GO-TO Overhaul is not compatible and might be better to avoid using with TSLRCM)

Every single mod on the site is tested to ensure that it is compatible with TSLRCM, and if it's not listed explicitly on the download page, there is almost always an explanation in its comments or Readme.

Even then, TSLPatcher creates a Backup folder during installation, so you can revert to the older files if a mod turns out to be causing problems.

The weapon model Overhaul has caused me no problems, since it gets installed directly into the Override; and if by Telos Overhaul, you mean Jorak's texture pack http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/759-tsl-origins-telos-overhaul/ , then it should be a simple Override installation, and should be fully compatible.

For the record, I regularly use 20+ mods (60 mods in my last playthrough) including up to 3 gigs of textures and models taking space in my Override.

Texture mods shouldn't be much of a worry since you can tell by which part/area of the game it modifies if there is going to be a conflict. Even then if a glitch does pop up, its fairly easy to isolate it and resolve on your lonesome. But even for other types of mods in all honesty if you are extremely cautious and particularly apprehensive you could always back up your Override folder before installing mods that you think will conflict - this has become established practice for me ever since KotorFiles went down.

Regarding your question about mod size I can tell you with certainty from my own experience most of them work together well. I have long since lost count of the exact number of mods I use, although I know for certain that the number exceeds 70+ and beyond. Now there has sometimes been cause for hotfixes and my own little personal tweaks, but in all honesty pretty much all of the mods work together quite well - as Malikor said, it has become something of a requirement that mods work with TSLRCM.

Edit: Well in response to djh269 I can only speak from my experience - still without any compatibility/space issues. My Override folders are 4.5 and 3.9 gigs for K1 and TSL respectively. 

Edited by Mutilator57

I have some large mod builds if you want them? I've tested them out and they work fine.

I've made the mistake of having too many mods before, I'd like to know the limit of space you can use.

Edit: I have builds for both games.

Excessive use of high res textures may cause your game to crash depending on whether or not you're using the 1080p patch and what your Computer's build is. This is especially the case for the first Kotor game, but less so for the second one. I ran both on 1080 resolution using Flawless Widescreen.

My override size for Kotor 2 is 2.75GB. Along with the other files I have in other folders that came with the NPC overhaul, M4-78 mod and TSLRCM, I'd say that puts it all at 3GB, give or take. I download mods for Kotor 1+2 from all types of different websites, some mods being days old and some being a decade old. I sometime have to make things compatible or try to rip out the compatible parts from incompatible mods. It can be somewhat annoying, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for you I'm guessing.

If you're planning to install the Weapon Model Overhaul for the second game, know that the only working version for Kotor 2 is an incomplete Beta. Several models aren't included, and the texture rework for the mod barely works with the Kotor 2 beta due to various reasons.

I really don't understand how anyone could get higher than 3.5GB for their override folder for either of the Kotor games. 3.5 was the highest I ever had for Kotor 1 and I had so many different large mods installed with my own self-made compatibility patches. How many types of mods are you people downloading? XD

• Like 1

Not all texture mods are equal. Many may have files other than merely TGA (or DDS) files and that could affect other things. For example, files that affect the dialogue TLK or appearance.2da files that don't utilize TSLPatcher. Refer to the compatibility lists for initial information (for KOTOR (K1R) List, for TSLRCM List).  Post in the relevant threads (for K1R section, for TSLRCM section) if you can't find enough information.in the Compatibility Lists.

I really don't understand how anyone could get higher than 3.5GB for their override folder for either of the Kotor games. 3.5 was the highest I ever had for Kotor 1 and I had so many different large mods installed with my own self-made compatibility patches. How types of mods are you people downloading? XD

Oh believe you me, I have A LOT of mods ;)

Oh believe you me, I have A LOT of mods ;)

that is alot, my K1 directory is at 3.1G (Alot of texture mods) and my k2 directory (although thats only about 45 mods installed right now, which is below my usual) is only 2.7G 

My override is 3.07GB for K2, and I have an organisation of the mods in a specific order should I need to reinstall. 

I look forward to that Go-To Mod but otherwise I think my K2 is complete, it could have more- but I dislike amateur voice acting, so I don't have any mods that add new modules that were never intended. I'm extremely specific about what ends up changing K2. 

The Coruscant mod sounds interesting but if it can't match up to the atmosphere of the original game etc (know that's an absurd request) I won't install it, I prefer stuff that integrates seamlessly but that's just me.

In comparison my K1 override is only 1.65GB, because Kotor I isn't nearly as good I don't think and I can't install the widescreen mod because I'm a moron.

My override is 3.07GB for K2, and I have an organisation of the mods in a specific order should I need to reinstall. 

I look forward to that Go-To Mod but otherwise I think my K2 is complete, it could have more- but I dislike amateur voice acting, so I don't have any mods that add new modules that were never intended. I'm extremely specific about what ends up changing K2. 

The Coruscant mod sounds interesting but if it can't match up to the atmosphere of the original game etc (know that's an absurd request) I won't install it, I prefer stuff that integrates seamlessly but that's just me.

In comparison my K1 override is only 1.65GB, because Kotor I isn't nearly as good I don't think and I can't install the widescreen mod because I'm a moron.

just use Flawless Widescreen, it works wonders (and if you cant get it going, Xuul has a guide on his channel to get it going)

Not all texture mods are equal. Many may have files other than merely TGA (or DDS) files and that could affect other things. For example, files that affect the dialogue TLK or appearance.2da files that don't utilize TSLPatcher. Refer to the compatibility lists for initial information (for KOTOR (K1R) List, for TSLRCM List).  Post in the relevant threads (for K1R section, for TSLRCM section) if you can't find enough information.in the Compatibility Lists.

Hell, I've had times where I couldn't merge 2DA files when utilizing the TSLPatcher. I always hated that because I knew that would mean I would have to waste another 5 minutes just to modify my Appearance.2da file to be what the TSLPatcher should have made it in the first place.

Thank goodness for the 2DA merger tool. 

just use Flawless Widescreen, it works wonders (and if you cant get it going, Xuul has a guide on his channel to get it going)

Found an easier way, download the hud fix and put it into your override then simply change the SWkotor ini- credit where credit's due I got the the file from Xuul's link but the video isn't much help to steam users anymore. Someone in the comments helped me with this. 

Hell, I've had times where I couldn't merge 2DA files when utilizing the TSLPatcher. I always hated that because I knew that would mean I would have to waste another 5 minutes just to modify my Appearance.2da file to be what the TSLPatcher should have made it in the first place.

Thank goodness for the 2DA merger tool. 

Yet another reason not to just shrug and say "It's just a texture mod" when it very well might not be. Modders need to be specific when making their read me files.  Users need to be cautious before installing for the reason I stated..

Also for KOTOR 1 I suggest anyone considering a graphics overhaul should look at this:

[sNIP]

Also for KOTOR 1 I suggest anyone considering a graphics overhaul should look at this:

No, you shouldn't look at this, since this "mod" consists mostly of stolen work from other people as is openly admitted in the description (AFAIK, I can't actually read it^^).

My general advice for using large mods together is to think about the installation order before actually installing them. And always check the installlog created by TSLPatcher to see if there were any errors and if there were, try to make the necessary fixes yourself or see if there is a compability patch somewhere. I got both K1 and TSL working flawlessly like that with about 90 mods and in TSL that included several big mods like TSLRCM, M4-78, NPC Overhaul, Coruscant and SLM.

• Like 4

Found an easier way, download the hud fix and put it into your override then simply change the SWkotor ini- credit where credit's due I got the the file from Xuul's link but the video isn't much help to steam users anymore. Someone in the comments helped me with this. 

I use the steam version and it still works

Thanks for all the responses guys. First time posting but have been in the community for a few months. Great community! Only reason I was worried about the Telos overhaul, was because of the more complicated installation it required.

Kotor modding is a bit different where all mods are tested in order to see if they are compatible with the bigger mods, like TSLRCM. As far as I know, NPC Overhaul and Dustil Restoration work fine together.

(However, GO-TO Overhaul is currently conflicting with TSLRCM, but a team is hard at work in getting it fixed. Until further notice, GO-TO Overhaul is not compatible and might be better to avoid using with TSLRCM)

And again, thanks for all the responses. sadly I got ahead of myself and have the GO-TO overhaul installed and have installed many mods over it that modify the .2da file. Would I run into issues if I used the backup .2da?

If you're planning to install the Weapon Model Overhaul for the second game, know that the only working version for Kotor 2 is an incomplete Beta. Several models aren't included, and the texture rework for the mod barely works with the Kotor 2 beta due to various reasons.

I used it several times in previous playthroughs without an issue. Just dissapoints me when I pick up a weapon that has the awful quality that the game has.

Thanks for all the responses guys. First time posting but have been in the community for a few months. Great community! Only reason I was worried about the Telos overhaul, was because of the more complicated installation it required.

And again, thanks for all the responses. sadly I got ahead of myself and have the GO-TO overhaul installed and have installed many mods over it that modify the .2da file. Would I run into issues if I used the backup .2da?

Yeah, using that backup would return the 2da file to the state it was in before you installed the G0-T0 Overhaul and thus would remove all changes made by later mods.

You could try and use the backup and then install all other mods that modify the same 2da file(s) again afterwards. That could work but might also result in other issues.

Or you could revert the changes done by G0-T0 Overhaul manually if you know how to edit 2da files.

Or you could revert the changes done by G0-T0 Overhaul manually if you know how to edit 2da files.

Any tutorials out there? Btw your HQ Skyboxes mod is one of the most impressive mods I have used in K1.

Null.

Y'know what? You're right, I shouldn't have posted that link- it was disrespectful and I will be deleting the files from my computer. Instead I recommend, as far as textures go for K1:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/kotor-ultimate/downloads/kotor-ultimate-04

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii/addons/ebon-hawk-past1

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/723-high-quality-skyboxes/

Weapon model overhaul, weapon model overhaul texture rework.

If you really, really want to use two incompatible mods, I suggest getting JC's Toolbox if you're on K2 (I don't know if it's on this site, but it is on Lucasforums). It's helped me get out of bad situations involving mod conflicts.

For example, the G0-T0 Overhaul: (I'm assuming the incompatibility with TSLRCM is during the scene on Malachor, as that's where it wasn't working for me), you can use the "Address Book" to change the PC from Remote to the Exile, and then warp to where you're supposed to be.

I wouldn't really recommend this though.