Sign in to follow this  
Teddy273

[Porting Request] ROTJ Luke Skywalker outfit with permissions

Hey guys !

First things first, I have read the pinned topic about permissions and, if I'm not wrong, this request should respect the terms that are explained in it.

So a few months ago, I tried to port an awesome mod from Jedi Academy into KOTOR for my personnal use, but the results were catastrophic. The mod in question is the "Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker outfit" made by Toshi and DT85. Recently, a new awesome mod came out, called "Classic Jedi Project" that allows to customise your single player character with the said outfit in various colors.

So I went ahead and asked those modders for their permission, and they gave it to me. I'll attach a screenshot of their response to my email below in this post.

Here's a screenshot of the outfit I'm talking about (the one in the middle) :

1452692579-monthly-07-2012-d757355fe907e

Now, why would that even make a great addition to the KOTOR games (K1 and TSL) ?

Well, other than the fact it just looks cool, I think there is a valid reason why this would be a great mod.

In TSL, you are basically one of the last remaining Jedis in the galaxy. Darth Sion and Darth Nihilus have exterminated all the others and are actively looking for the remaining survivors. So, the first you'd do is put on some nice Jedi Robes and swing your lightsabers around ? Really ? Well, I always found the lack of commoners clothes in TSL... erh well disturbing (no puns intended). The black outfit Luke wears in ROTJ would be great, as it looks like clothes a simple traveller would wear. So if you're looking for discretion, you'd wear something like that.

Now, okay in K1 there are still plenty of Jedi fighting the Jedi Civil War. But remember that you are being sent by the Jedi Counsil on a secret mission to locate the Starforge and destroy it. You need discretion here too. Remember when Bastila wouldn't accompany you on Korriban because she'd be recognised ? Yeah, you know where I am getting at.

About the permissions

Well, I asked Omega1, who created the "Classic Jedi Project" for Jedi Academy, and DT85 (and so, Toshi) for their assets and I got their approval. They only want to be listed in the credits. I uploaded them as attachments in this post.

Why don't I do it myself ?

Well, simply put, I can't. I already tried a few months ago and failed horribly. I saw last year that you guys managed to port the Prequels Jedi Robes mod from Jedi Academy. I believe you can do this, too. You're my only hope !

post-14400-0-48708600-1452692543_thumb.jpg

post-14400-0-72524700-1452692547_thumb.jpg

JO/JA game models are frankly a pain in the ass to work with because they are split into a zillion pieces for dismemberment. Anyway I went ahead and merged/cleaned up a model, positioned and scaled it properly to fit the KOTOR rig. All the UV islands were detached/split to prevent MDLOps issues with shared verts. Dealing with the fingers was far too finicky, so I just lopped off the hands and used the vanilla KOTOR hand meshes. I had to do a bit of adjustment of the collar to fit a KOTOR head/neck, as they are a lot bigger than in JO/JA it would seem. The shoulders could be problematic, they aren't as broad as the KOTOR model. No way around that without some heavy mesh adjustment, but it will likely mean deformation issues. Certainly a quick skin wrap didn't look so hot.

JA_Luke_Port_TH.jpg

Skinning is not my thing, so if anyone wants to take a crack at it send me a PM and I'll send you the scene file. Note this is not open season, randoms wanting free crap need not apply. This is only for experienced modders actually willing to skin it and release it publicly as a mod.

• Like 1

I was about to make a similar request and found a link to this thread after a quick search.

Is there someone willing to pick this up and do the skinning part? With the new ports from TOR coming in, I was thinking there must be someone who has the required skills. Just a thought ofc.

1 hour ago, Stormie97 said:

Just a thought ofc.

Oof

thread_necromancer_card_3.jpg

I'd suggest PM-ing DP to see if anyone took up the reskinning job.

• Like 1

Eh, you never know, sometimes people make stuff for themselves and forget to release it (yours truly comes to mind).

@Stormie97 In that case, start a new thread if you're really interested.