Sith Holocron

Knights of the Old Republic III Thread - Rumor Central

Every newcomer loves to ramble on and on about every little sliver of news about an upcoming Bioware or Star Wars project is going to be KOTOR3. This concept infects many other threads.  The KOTOR3 rumor mongering will now be contained to this thread.  If you want to infer from untitled projects that it will KOTOR3, do so here - and here only.

Required reading before posting in this thread:

Wookieepedia article on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3

Helpful article quotes about KOTOR3:

From Eurogamer.net (31 Jul 2013):

To this day one decision still plagues Chris Avellone's mind: should Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords have had more Revan in it? BioWare and LucasArts hadn't forbidden it - instead, Obsidian had decided to focus on new characters to allow more creative breathing room.

"But I don't know if that was the best decision," Avellone ponders, speaking in a Eurogamer KOTOR2 podcast other members of Obsidian and The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod join us for. You can listen to it in full right now, jokes 'n all.

"There's a lot of design decisions that occurred in Knights of the Old Republic 2 that, to this day, I still question whether that was the right thing to do or not, and one was, ideally we should have maybe looked for more ways to introduce Revan in the sequel.

"But then again," he adds, "when we were plotting out the idea of doing the third game we just thought it would be cool if we were foreshadowing what Revan was really doing in Knights of the Old Republic 1, and what he was preparing for in Knights of the Old Republic 2, and then bring it to a close, the end of the trilogy, but we didn't get a chance to do that."

Yes, a Knights of the Old Republic 3 game existed in pre-production at Obsidian Entertainment.

"I always liked the idea that Revan, as smart and powerful as your player-character was, was actually even more of a brilliant strategist than became apparent in the first game," Avellone goes on.

The entire second game is littered with clues as to 'why didn't Revan destroy the infrastructure here? What was he trying to make sure was still intact? What did he/she see that no one else saw?' I thought that was giving a nice nod to 'wait a minute, Revan realises there's an even larger force at work here, and he's focusing his efforts on that and keeping the big picture in mind'. That was one thing - the idea that there was a larger, global conspiracy."

"That third game would cast you as "the Exile" and allow you to track Revan's path. "Whether you encounter him or not..." he pauses, wary of spoilers in case the game ever happens in the future. "The idea was that even before the 'modern day' Sith came into being in The Old Republic ... there were even more distant Sith Lords that were considered the true Sith, and the idea that they were still lurking out there in the galaxy waiting for a chance to strike, kind of like the Shadows in Babylon 5, I thought would be a cool finale for that Old Republic trilogy.

"Part of the fun with designing them," he adds, "was if you have these incredibly powerful Force users and they have their whole hidden domain out in the distant reaches of the galaxy, what would that Sith empire really look like at the hands of these things?

"If they could shape entire planets or galaxies or nebulas, and they had all these slave races at their disposal, how cool would that be, to go into the heart of darkness and you're the lone Jedi and/or new version of the Sith confronting these guys? What would that be like? I thought that would be pretty epic."

Whimper. Yearn.

Knights of the Old Republic 3 would still involve the Ebon Hawk ship, your base and your home, and you'd have "a few" of the companions from the other KOTOR games. "You definitely have T3-M4 and HK-47 with you," he says, and at one point HK-47, its legs dismantled, would "ride around in your backpack like C-3PO does with Chewbacca in Empire Strikes Back". "So during one of the sequences in the game," Avellone expands, "you'd actually have HK-47 firing behind you and being your cover support while you're carrying him around on your back and getting to a repair station."

That KOTOR3 pitch, which is different to the Star Wars pitch Obsidian is trying on Disney, never got past pre-production. "It was a matter of getting LucasArts to greenlight the title and I... To be honest I don't know all the reasons that went into this, whether they wanted to have an internal team do it, whether they logistics didn't work out...

"Ultimately," he says, "it felt like we were pitching and pitching and it just wasn't going anywhere, and at some point people just drew a line and said 'it's just not going to happen', which made us kind of sad, but, OK, if that's the business, that's the business."

It could have had something to do with new consoles - PS3 and Xbox 360 - arriving and engines needing redoing, which would have been expensive and time consuming, points out Dan Spitzley, then senior programmer, now lead programmer at Obsidian. "That's a good point," concedes Avellone. "Thanks, consoles, thank you."

From IGN (24 Jul 2014):

Speaking to IGN about the upcoming Pillars of Eternity, project director Josh Sawyer and lead producer Brandon Adler explained Obsidian remains full of Star Wars fans, many of whom often hash out ideas for KOTOR 3.

"I think there are a lot of the people at the studio that would like to do Knights of the Old Republic 3," Sawyer says. "I think at that time LucasArts was really focused on what they considered to be extreme, extreme blockbusters and even though the Knights of the Old Republic series was pretty successful, it just never seemed like something that was going to happen at that time. Having said that, a lot of time has passed. I know there are a lot of people at the studio who are really interested in doing a project like that."

"It’s something that comes up every three to six months," Adler added. "We bring it up and talk about it. Not anything terribly serious, but we just say ‘wouldn’t it be cool if?’ and just develop some ideas for what we’d do with that stuff."

A similar sentiment that I expressed in another thread:

We are KOTOR 3...

I do not believe we are KOTOR 3, we do have some substitutes for K3 however, such as Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 3: The Jedi Masters (the mod).

It is a fairly good mod at it's core.

And we still wait on Logan's K3 mod...

:D

I'm sure everyone has already seen this, but i'll put it there anyway...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/24/obsidian-still-thinks-about-knights-of-the-old-republic-3

and this too... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_3

There was also a fan project going on, however, it has been taken down, unfortunatelyhttp://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-3-tea

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQXHuy0orVBEtD6B_XpDZQw

So...

Quick edit so i don't look dumb: I now realize that Sith holocron already linked some of these... so... my apologies. (This guy has ADD)

Still no evidence, the update was done by ASPYR, not EA or the other devs... These are the same rumors that have been flying around for years (P.S. its 2016 and nothing has been announced yet). Also, Phil Spencer has nothing to do with the development of this game. Only EA can decide whether or not this game will be remade...

The good news is that the Kotor series is technically cannon due to the few references we've been seeing to Kotor in Disney's cannon material. The Old Republic was basically an underwhelming Kotor 3, so I don't even know if I'd want a Kotor 3 at this point. As for the rumored remake, I really doubt it. Don't get your hopes up and make sure to keep your salt shakers equipped. 

The good news is that the Kotor series is technically cannon due to the few references we've been seeing to Kotor in Disney's cannon material. The Old Republic was basically an underwhelming Kotor 3, so I don't even know if I'd want a Kotor 3 at this point. As for the rumored remake, I really doubt it. Don't get your hopes up and make sure to keep your salt shakers equipped.

A lot of Kotor content has been replaced already (for example, Korriban was replaced by Moraband)

A lot of Kotor content has been replaced already (for example, Korriban was replaced by Moraband)

I'd hardly call that replacing, merely renaming.

During the production of "Sacrifice," The Clone Wars team initially called the planet Korriban, but George Lucas preferred the name Moraband. The name was changed to reflect his wishes, but Lucasfilm noted upon release of the episode that a planet as ancient as Moraband could have had several different names throughout its existence.[6]

Good enough for me.

• Like 2

C'mon they did Battlefront Three, and The Old Republic and yet no plans for KOTOR Three???

Wow, they really must hate single player.

As much as I want this to be true... It's not.

I think it's clear that the actual people making the stories in Rebels and other media at least know of KotOR and respect it. BUT Disney probably won't make it officially canon. Fans of the other EU/Legends stories will lose their stuffing that KotOR fans are being favored. The KotOR stories already make references and almost depend on a ton of other EU/Legends content. Like Exar Kun, The Great Sith War, etc.

Well, it doesn't interfere with the new trilogy storyline, and probably won't ever considering there are 4 000 years between the two, so I think you can safely say that the Old Republic era is cannon, even if not officially said so - their attitude towards it kinds of says the same I believe.
As for other Legends (hate that term, really) material, it seems obvious they probably won't try to make those cannon, because they are mostly about (from what I know, I am in no way an expert who's read all the old EU material) the post-RotJ era.

C'mon they did Battlefront Three, and The Old Republic and yet no plans for KOTOR Three???

Wow, they really must hate single player.

Welcome to modern day AAA-publishers... :(
  • Like 2

Welcome to modern day AAA-publishers... :(

Some companies literally believe the Single player is a dead art form. Kind of sad when most of us who buy games specifically FOR the single player component get no new games, and every time a new multiplayer game comes out, it only lasts until the community gets bored, and without them is worse than useless..

At least some smaller Development houses are making games for their story, like the popular Indie Rogue-Like games or the hardcore difficulty games, X-Com or Dark Souls. Maybe the popularity of these games will change the AAA Dev's minds, and we can actually get a good Single player focused Star Wars game. :/

Some companies literally believe the Single player is a dead art form. Kind of sad when most of us who buy games specifically FOR the single player component get no new games, and every time a new multiplayer game comes out, it only lasts until the community gets bored, and without them is worse than useless..

At least some smaller Development houses are making games for their story, like the popular Indie Rogue-Like games or the hardcore difficulty games, X-Com or Dark Souls. Maybe the popularity of these games will change the AAA Dev's minds, and we can actually get a good Single player focused Star Wars game. :/

*sigh*

This is always sad news when people say single-player is a dead art form. :D Never mind the fact that there wouldn't be multiplayer if we didn't have single player first.

I still firmly believe that Single-player is a vital part of a game. I like how the guy who played Finn in Ep 7 said on Twitter "So... Disney/EA. When is the Single-player campaign coming out for Battlefront?"

And maybe one of the small development groups will become a AAA studio? What does that even mean? "a AAA studio"? Where's the criteria?

:) I never said the Indie Devs would become* AAA studios, just that their success could influence the marketing data the AAA industry uses to make decisions.

Also, here's where EA decided to not add Single player:

"I totally understand that you have to think ahead when planning games. I was more thinking about Battlefront with more crude algebra, in that, triple-A games with single-player traditionally sell better than those with multiplayer."

"So, there's two phenomena with that statement. The first is that yes, you might be right. The second is that very few people actually play the single-player on these kinds of games. That's what the data points to."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/eas-new-empire-an-interview-with-peter-moore/1100-6429703/

Ironically, it seems EA doesn't just believe it was a poor business choice; they apparently didn't want to do "too" much work..

"But then again you could argue that we are comparing our campaigns with what some say are the greatest multiplayer games in the world. If you try to match that, you are probably doomed for failure. Or at least, it's very, very hard."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-dev-says-it-didnt-consider-s/1100-6428463/

...but that's for an entirely different topic, I think. ;)

*sigh*

This is always sad news when people say single-player is a dead art form. :D Nevermind the fact that there wouldn't be multiplayer if we didn't have singleplayer first.

I still firmly believe that Single-player is a vital part of a game. I like how the guy who played Finn in Ep 7 said on Twitter "So... Disney/EA. When is the Single-player campaign coming out for Battlefront?"

And maybe one of the small development groups will become a AAA studio? What does that even mean? "a AAA studio"? Where's the criteria?

AAA studio - release the same game every year with small changes in game mechanics and little to no singleplayer - thats the majority of them anyway

• Like 1

AAA studio - release the same game every year with small changes in game mechanics and little to no singleplayer - thats the majority of them anyway

EA's especially guilty of that, particularly since they've been doing the "Release the same game every year with small changes" part for a looong time.

I'm not going to get my hopes up or anything, but If nothing else, a KOTOR 3 would be a chance to sweep TOR into the trash can where it belongs.

I play light side. I like helping people, making things better. One of my favorite sidequests was the Promised Land storyline, helping people who'd been thrown away by society to fend for themselves in a monster-infested wasteland escape their fate and move to a better place. The icing on the cake was the implication that while the arrogant, callous nobles of Taris were blown away by the Sith bombardment, the poorest of the poor whom they had cast away were off to live in safety and happiness in a paradisical bunker.

Then TOR came along and ruined that for no good reason, earning my undying hatred.

EA's especially guilty of that, particularly since they've been doing the "Release the same game every year with small changes" part for a looong time.

I'm not going to get my hopes up or anything, but If nothing else, a KOTOR 3 would be a chance to sweep TOR into the trash can where it belongs.

I play light side. I like helping people, making things better. One of my favorite sidequests was the Promised Land storyline, helping people who'd been thrown away by society to fend for themselves in a monster-infested wasteland escape their fate and move to a better place. The icing on the cake was the implication that while the arrogant, callous nobles of Taris were blown away by the Sith bombardment, the poorest of the poor whom they had cast away were off to live in safety and happiness in a paradisical bunker.

Then TOR came along and ruined that for no good reason, earning my undying hatred.

That is oddly one part of TOR I actually admire. We thought that Taris was turned to dust, but instead it managed to become a sort of Lost Land full of life and vegetation. I understand you wanted the outcasts to survive and thrive in some underground paradise, but life is harsh, and it very clearly stated that most of them died from the journey to the Promised Land; let alone whether they actually found it. Some of TOR's story, it turns out, are rather well-written, but that's kind of a product of some very smart writers working on it.

All of this very very stupid "Canon" regarding Revan and Darth Verybadperson (Don't care about his real name, his very existence is outright contrived in the worst way), hopefully, we can all agree was the result of some cretin in a boardroom who thought they could milk the forced drama and unnecessary escalation of their made-up character from fans of the original series. However, I would never call the work of so many people who made something rather decent in some memories "trash", and I might go so far as to say Battlefront 3.0 wasn't " the worst thing to happen to Star Wars, ever".

That rant aside, though, I can't see where this is going now that their magnum opus of cheap DLC sold for full price (IE Battlefront) didn't pan out. Maybe they'll hire an intelligent project manager with actual plans to give the fans of Lucasarts what they actually would like to see. If that were to happen, we might actually get something like Days Of Future Past as far as wiping the stain of that affront to writing known as the Revan book (I don't care if Kapryshn is a great writer or not, that book was abusive to everything he started in Kotor) from our collective memory, and continuing the story of the Real Revan as he or she plumbs the depths of the unkown to save the Galaxy.

However, every forgettable online-only FPS is getting a sequel, somehow, so they'll probably just focus on EA Battlefront 2....

Well TOR is undoubtedly a Kotor 3 since it does answer questions (Most of them) about what happened after TSL but I would honestly like a fresh reboot of the Kotor, TSL and TOR universe in a Movie series similar to Rogue One (That didn't need to exist but it does) or as a Cartoon series like clone wars and rebels or as another video game but with the graphic quality of Battlefront 3 WITH using the canon stuff as the canon.

• Like 1

A similar sentiment that I expressed in another thread:

We are KOTOR 3...

i agree with this^^

• Like 1