Box

Module Editing and Compatability

So after years of modding, I'm starting to finally put things together. What I've discovered is that in order to get things working properly, I need to go into each module and modify all of the placeables that contain items and assign them back to their modules. I understand that this can be done. What I don't know is how exactly it works. If someone could provide a brief overview or a link to a tutorial, that would be appreciated.

More importantly though, the reason I actually wanted to make this thread is to ask about compatibility concerns when editing modules. So far I've tried to keep my mod from touching or interfering with other areas of interest. My mod is designed around gameplay changes so I want to keep it from interfering with content additions/changes as much as possible. So before I start modifying all a ton of files, I thought I'd ask about common pitfalls. Basically, if I need to modify every module in the game in some way, what is it going to take in order to make my mod compatible with other mods?

More importantly though, the reason I actually wanted to make this thread is to ask about compatibility concerns when editing modules. So far I've tried to keep my mod from touching or interfering with other areas of interest. My mod is designed around gameplay changes so I want to keep it from interfering with content additions/changes as much as possible. So before I start modifying all a ton of files, I thought I'd ask about common pitfalls. Basically, if I need to modify every module in the game in some way, what is it going to take in order to make my mod compatible with other mods?

The most common practice for compatibility with other mods is two-fold:

1.) Test it with other mods. If you want to make sure it works with a specific mod, install that mod before you even start working on it.

2.) Use TSLPatcher. This method of installing a mod has become quite commonplace when it comes to maximizing compatibility.

Is there a way to use TSLPatcher or some other tool to merge or modify .mod files?

Is there a way to use TSLPatcher or some other tool to merge or modify .mod files?

If you set a file's install location to "modules\", then TSLPatcher will insert the file in there. This also works with modifying files already in the .mod (like .git files).

Is it possible to use the same changes.ini file to add different versions of the same filename to different .mod files?

Nope, in that case people pretty much need to run the installer twice, with different installations (as example check my Peragus Attack Sith Assassin mod how to set that up).

Is it possible to use the same changes.ini file to add different versions of the same filename to different .mod files?

I believe it is possible, as I spoke with the creator one time. I need to find my example project though.