Sith Holocron

In your opinion: Coruscant Expansion Discussion

Have a few new model scripts and bits that help in 3Ds Max. Actually read through a nice tutorial on how to create a big uber city ala Coruscant. Of course doing the take off and landing, we need to have a story board, with all the shots. Just to get what is needed and seen in each shot.

Thinking on all the layers involved, background skybox, far off traffic, traffic that's a bit closer. Other ships landing and going... Lots of stuff to keep track off. But doable if it's cut up properly for rendering. It would still take loads of time though, no escaping that :D

Guess I'll have to go and hunt down some tutorials on how to do composites in After Effects. :P

Need them anyway for another mod.

I intend to make a new skybox for vanillas Coruscant scenes and the Jedi temple mod anyway at some point but if you need one earlier for making those videos, let me know and I'll make them :)

Also, adding distant traffic to all Coruscant ingame scenes would be awesome.

Create a new planet based on Deathdisco's Jedi Temple mod is a marvellous idea!

Id gladly provide some textures/tex animations to it, since my new retextures are heading more towards the movies design style anyway.

@Quanon:

would it be possible for you to use these ones too:

http://www.scifi3d.com/list.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=17

if they look well ingame, they would shorten time a lot..

Also, adding distant traffic to all Coruscant ingame scenes would be awesome.

Well, I recently got an area animation to work in the Ebon Hawk, so I reckon I could do all of the ambient area animations (like speeders whizzing past or ships taking off..)...

Well if you wanted something interesting in the background, you could do this . . .

Watch with annotations on.

Say we do a remake of the Coruscant Jedi Temple mod, would there be any spots for voice acting?

I don't quite think we're there yet. Besides, voice over actors should always be asking for last in the production.

I was hoping that some folks would take it upon themselves on expanding DD's mod. For starters - after getting permission - hopefully placing the levels in the mod into SithSpecter's Jedi Temple building.

If this were to happen it would be very intresting. Obviously it would be a huge undertaking, expanding upon or "enhancing" the planet would be really exciting if done well. I have not played the original mod though I keep meaning to check it out.

If this were to ever happen, I would do my best to support the project in whatever ways I could.

after getting permission

This is the nub of the matter, IMO. Doing your own Coruscant mod is one thing, but if it were someone publically discussing making alterations/expansions to one of my mods, without having spoken to me first, I would be quite annoyed.

Perhaps I'm excessively concerned with these things.

• Like 1

@Quanon:

would it be possible for you to use these ones too:

http://www.scifi3d.com/list.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=17

if they look well ingame, they would shorten time a lot..

Yes, that would help a ton, LOL.  Though I would have to look at the models, see if they aren't too high poly.

But it certainly would be useful for the landing and take off sequences :D

Yes, that would help a ton, LOL.  Though I would have to look at the models, see if they aren't too high poly.

But it certainly would be useful for the landing and take off sequences :D

Kinda off-topic: If you end up downloading and using those models anyway, would it be possible to convert them to .obj files so that they're usable in TG for a skybox? :D

My Jedi Temple exterior is freely available for use as a modder's resource. Please just include credit where credit is due.

Thanks, SS. Glad to know it.

I do think that InSidious' concern was more about changing deathdisco's original mod without his input.

This whole thing might be an example of putting the cart before the horse.

Kinda off-topic: If you end up downloading and using those models anyway, would it be possible to convert them to .obj files so that they're useable in TG for a skybox? :D

No problemo; I'll look into it. And I'll PM you when I get more news on this ;)

EDIT: Been going through these building models and they're super quality. But a bit poly heavy I fear. The more complex building have between 25000 to 35000 polyies. To put it in perspective; most of my own build areas have between 25000 to 40000 polyies.

So I'll need to make lower poly versions to use in the game, which will take some time, but I now have good examples of how to build them.

Edited by Quanon

I have received an answer from deathdisco on my page over at LucasForums.

I have no problem if you guys release a separate expansion to my mod. I haven't modded in so long that I would not be any help but you'll find details on what I did to the skybox here, if that helps.

Note that he said "separate."

Thanks, deathdisco!

I have received an answer from deathdisco on my page over at LucasForums.

Note that he said "separate."

Thanks, deathdisco!

So that would mean we can build on top of it; but not change anything he created?

Played around a bit, you'll be looking at 850.000+ polyies:

Prev02_zpsohnihjrn.jpg

All credit goes to the people who added their models on Sci-Fi 3D. 

Might as well just start from scratch

His answer isnt really clear, i think he doesnt know exactly what we want to do.

So it might be the best to ask him more specific; that we are planning to make a coruscant overhaul by using a completely new modeled planet, but to save time

ask him if we could use his content (questline, feats..) and modify it.

So that would mean we can build on top of it; but not change anything he created?

Played around a bit, you'll be looking at 850.000+ polyies:

Prev02_zpsohnihjrn.jpg

All credit goes to the people who added their models on Sci-Fi 3D. 

An expansion is hardly possible without changing anything he did but I suppose in the end the expansion should mainly alter his modules to allow access to new modules created by the expansion. Or maybe add details to his modules but it would probably be safer to ask him before starting to do anything.

But landing and take-off videos should be fine as an expansion just like the original "Jedi Temple Expansion" or whatever that add-on mod is called^^

And I really like where you're going already :)

I also though about continuity between the videos and the actual game. Maybe we could collaborate to make the videos and the skybox.

If you want to, my idea would be that I'd make a skybox with only sky (or possibly some very distant buildings) that you can use for the videos and for the actual in-game skybox we could use the same sky and the city-scape that you built for the videos already so that it matches in the end. I don't know if it's possible to export the entire scene as one model or what happens if you try to do so and then import it to TG but it would provide the best continuity possible.

While we wait for DD to clear up the situation . . .

If we leave aside the plot in the original mod, what plot should be added for the new areas?

If we leave aside the plot in the original mod, what plot should be added for the new areas?

For new areas? I'm just going to throw around some ideas.

I'd like to see a Times-Square-ish area that just generally has more fun easter egg sorts of things.

Tons of opportunities for lightside/darkside points, a bunch of vendors selling wares, or just people that say random things.

But more specifically, job offices. Like a bounty office, or cargo or something like Uber.

But if you want a more directed, concrete plot, that ties in to the theme of the story, I think it sort of needs to revolve around the Jedi Temple... at least some of it.

If there is a need to get the player out of the Jedi Temple and onto the streets though, the best way to do that is to inject clues into the temple about someone who has recently accessed the terminals and who could possibly be a Jedi.

Then head out onto the streets to gather information on this supposed Jedi Master

What do you find? It'd probably be too obvious to find another Jedi Master, so maybe the twist should be that it is a bounty hunter or some other random criminal. Maybe a jedi hunter sort of deal? A Sith Assassin gone rogue?

Its really important that we have a (semi-)professional written script for this, one talented person solely concentrating on that part. 

For that ive contacted Darth Ki Gon from Projectstarwars.com which has done an outstanding fiction "Fate of Revan". Hes German but i think translating wont be a problem.

I think it would be ideal if that happens, he really understands to describe the twists and turns of situations in a very memorable and unexpected way, very similar to Kreias Dialogues.

Quality-wise its definitely up there with Drews book.

For new areas? I'm just going to throw around some ideas.

I'd like to see a Times-Square-ish area that just generally has more fun easter egg sorts of things.

Tons of opportunities for lightside/darkside points, a bunch of vendors selling wares, or just people that say random things.

But more specifically, job offices. Like a bounty office, or cargo or something like Uber.

But if you want a more directed, concrete plot, that ties in to the theme of the story, I think it sort of needs to revolve around the Jedi Temple... at least some of it.

If there is a need to get the player out of the Jedi Temple and onto the streets though, the best way to do that is to inject clues into the temple about someone who has recently accessed the terminals and who could possibly be a Jedi.

Then head out onto the streets to gather information on this supposed Jedi Master

What do you find? It'd probably be too obvious to find another Jedi Master, so maybe the twist should be that it is a bounty hunter or some other random criminal. Maybe a jedi hunter sort of deal? A Sith Assassin gone rogue?

I really like these ideas. The first part could very well be used for side quests and to make the areas more lively.

And the second part sounds like an awesome storyline for the planet. Basically all you do in TSL is searching for Jedi, so maybe it'd even be possible to have some rumors on other planets that state that a Jedi has been seen on Coruscant. And then you get the quest to search for this "new" Jedi and in order to track him down you venture to the Jedi temple where you find clues, just as you said. But in the end it turns out to be someone who tries to lure Jedi out of hiding in order to kill them (maybe a Mandalorian who tries to get revenge for the Mandalorian Wars?).

I would like this boss to be a non-force user to get some diversity into the game.

I really like these ideas. The first part could very well be used for side quests and to make the areas more lively.

The Coruscant planet plot is[/id] the side quest. Any additional elements to Coruscant should be very simple and easy to make, I think.

And the second part sounds like an awesome storyline for the planet. Basically all you do in TSL is searching for Jedi, so maybe it'd even be possible to have some rumors on other planets that state that a Jedi has been seen on Coruscant. And then you get the quest to search for this "new" Jedi and in order to track him down you venture to the Jedi temple where you find clues, just as you said. But in the end it turns out to be someone who tries to lure Jedi out of hiding in order to kill them (maybe a Mandalorian who tries to get revenge for the Mandalorian Wars?).

I would like this boss to be a non-force user to get some diversity into the game.

I would intentionally stay away from "rumors of a jedi master on Coruscant". I think it should be a natural curiosity that arises from searching through the temple. And nothing in the temple should ever say outright that it is a Jedi Master. All implications.

As you search for more clues and gather information on Coruscant, then you can start getting a clearer picture of who this person is.

Should it be a force user? Should it be a non-force user? I'm not sure.

Half of the time it always seems like it's a force user, but the other half it seems like it's just some random badass person who can, for some reason, hold their own against a force user. Both are cliche.

But if it is unavoidable, why not include a Force-sensitive group that is not the Jedi? This would be a great opportunity to use a different group like the Baran Do, who are Kel-Dor force sensitives. I seem to remember a certain Kel-Dor head being modeled as well...

According to the wiki, there is even a cult of Baran Do who worshipped Darth Sion, so there is yet another reason to go that route.

Anyways, I think the clues should eventually lead to the conclusion that there is not one party involved in this debacle.

1. A Baran Do follower who is interested in the extinction of the Jedi and curious about the Sith (Darth Sion, specifically). He ultimately means no harm.

2. A group of Bounty Hunters or mercs or whatever that rigged the temple for traps so they could lure a Jedi and get dat cash yo. Imagine a finale in which you have to fight through the Jedi Temple filled to the brim with highly-skilled mercs, trying to catch either you or the Baran Do guy from above.

3. An implied third individual that is never seen until the very end. A True Sith, perhaps.

That was quite a lot.

I would suggest having plots/areas that don't necessarily tie in the the game's main plot. Doing that will assist the writer to branch out a bit. It also enables him/her to not get wrapped up in the minutiae of the multiple interpretations of NPC motivations of "what really happened" in the main game.

Update (13:47 EST):

I heard back from deathdisco.  Yesterday, I asked him . . .

I just want to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Basically, you want to keep an expansion packs separately. But those other packs could affect things in your mod - like changing wallpaper, adding landing and takeoff videos, connecting your modules to other modules, etc. Do I have it correctly?

Thanks for being cool with playing in your sandbox whatever the interpretation actually is.

Today he replied . . .

Preferably yes, that's what I was thinking.

The Coruscant planet plot is[/id] the side quest. Any additional elements to Coruscant should be very simple and easy to make, I think.

Yeah, the Coruscant Plot is of course a side quest but it would still be the main planet quest and then there could be a few more mini side quests that have nothing to do with the Coruscant plot itself.

I would intentionally stay away from "rumors of a jedi master on Coruscant". I think it should be a natural curiosity that arises from searching through the temple. And nothing in the temple should ever say outright that it is a Jedi Master. All implications.

As you search for more clues and gather information on Coruscant, then you can start getting a clearer picture of who this person is.

Should it be a force user? Should it be a non-force user? I'm not sure.

Half of the time it always seems like it's a force user, but the other half it seems like it's just some random badass person who can, for some reason, hold their own against a force user. Both are cliche.

But if it is unavoidable, why not include a Force-sensitive group that is not the Jedi? This would be a great opportunity to use a different group like the Baran Do, who are Kel-Dor force sensitives. I seem to remember a certain Kel-Dor head being modeled as well...

According to the wiki, there is even a cult of Baran Do who worshipped Darth Sion, so there is yet another reason to go that route.

Anyways, I think the clues should eventually lead to the conclusion that there is not one party involved in this debacle.

1. A Baran Do follower who is interested in the extinction of the Jedi and curious about the Sith (Darth Sion, specifically). He ultimately means no harm.

2. A group of Bounty Hunters or mercs or whatever that rigged the temple for traps so they could lure a Jedi and get dat cash yo. Imagine a finale in which you have to fight through the Jedi Temple filled to the brim with highly-skilled mercs, trying to catch either you or the Baran Do guy from above.

3. An implied third individual that is never seen until the very end. A True Sith, perhaps.

That was quite a lot.

Just saying that having those rumors would be a possibility to lure Jedi into a trap just like it happens in Episode III. The only reason why I'd add them is so that the player has a reason to go to Courscant but I wouldn't say they're necessary.

And yeah, both force users and non force users are really cliche... I'd still prefer the non-force-user or maybe a group of them (mercs, Mandos, whatever).

But it certainly shouldn't be a Jedi or a Sith even if it turns out to be a force user.

The Baran Do follower would be a cool idea to be tied into the main plot a bit where he's curious about Sion, so maybe once he meets the Exile he'd ask about Sion.

And having that second group would also allow for a few choices on the players end (e.g. if he/she decides to help the Baran Do escape the mercenaries of sacrifices him to escape easier).