Billop

KOTOR or KOTOR 2?

KotOR 1, hands down. KotOR 2 just seemed . . . empty to me. The darker plot is intriguing, I'll admit, except that I don't play Star Wars for darker plots. But all that aside, I never felt any sense of real resolution, even with TSLRCM. That's one big reason I was excited for Malachor VI (I hope it gets finished one day, it looked so great). Another big thing that bugged me about TSL was the voice acting. Atton was a very well written character, but Nicky Katt is nowhere near the actor that Raphael Sbarge is. (my name would've actually been CarthsGirl if I had realized when I signed up that this wasn't just a TSL forum . . . then again, it's a dumb name either way . . .)

But basically, TSL felt weird and unfinished. I never did quite figure out how Kreia planned to destroy the Force or where my character made her big choice. And Malachor was a ghost town with no real explanations of what exactly happened to some of your crew you've been investing in the whole game. Comparing unmodded games, I would never recommend TSL. Comparing the unmodded KotOR 1 with TSLRCM, I still say KotOR 1 is better, but TSL can be enjoyable.

• Like 1

I think KOTOR 1 better then KOTOR 2. I always tell my friends to play kotor1, and even IF I would like kotor 2 more then first one I would still recommend kotor1 just because its completed game and not need to download 2 gb of mods and patches...

K1 hold you from the beginning... I was like "wow look at that planet, so magnificent" when I first time walked on the street of Taris... Then Dantooine, perfect peaceful planet... (Even planets looked more interesting... Send-world, water-worl, jungle-world, town-world, sith-world and beautiful unknown planet.)

And what we've got in k2? From the beginning we have some boring ebon hawk, boring peragus, boring telos, boring telos again, just endless telos again.... And finally we are free. And we see "beautiful" worlds of k2... Dantooine again, Korriban again, some jungle-planet, some boring dark town-planet and yellow Onderon...

Well yeah looks pretty cool isnt it?

Characters also were better... well except for T3-M4 because he was just taking place on my ship for no reason, why would they even put him in this game... But it doesnt matter... Jolee's stories were so cool... I srsly was about to cry when I killed him =( And I still like that awesome story that Canderus told, about hoe asteroid started to spin around.

Maybe characters were also good in k2 but that influence system ruins it all (except for Atton, I liked his jokes)... Because When I talk to characters I want to hear stories, I want to hear about character... Why would I need them all on my ship if they dont want to talk to me?! I understand that you should gain respect and anything like that, but after flying with me on MY ship, after walking with me on 5 different planets, after we were fighting back to back why wont you just tell me a damn thing about yourself?! Srsly I could easily walk with only Mandalor...

Ending also was better in k1... At least it wasnt that boring as Malachor V where you run through endless gray rooms with nothing except for sith students and soldiers. Because on Star Forge there was nothing to stop you, you just felt final battle with Malak...

The only thing I like in kotor2 its atmosphere during the whole game, even through I am not sure where this atmosphere came from...Because it was stated that Revan destroyed StarForge and saved Republic... And after I saw "light side" ending, saw everyones happy faces, saw all those strong jedis I couldnt believe that Revan suppose to be a light side. How could after that happy end everything went that bad?! =)

Anyway back to atmosphere... When there is no one in the whole Galaxy who could help you... When your own masters turn their backs on you... When even your allies dont trust you enough... When some random dude wants to take your ship... When Exchange put a big price for your head... And when Sith lords wants to kill you... You got to stay strong... And after you fly away on your ship from Malachor 5 you start thinking "well... this game wasnt that bad... it was pretty awesome... maybe I should play this again" but then you like "wait... peragus... telos...."

Even with restored content and mods this game looks not that interesting as kotor1, at least for me... Just because the game its self could be better, the worlds could be better... Everything could be better...

So I would agree with some journal and give kotor 1 10/10 and for kotor 2 7,5/10

I think I made a mistake. I would still give k1 10/10.

But I think 7,5 for vanila k2 its just too high... But k2 with all mods + mind probe for influence (at least for me) + all restored content + cool grid peragus mod = i would give this game 9/10 =)

• Like 1

I prefer KotOR I for several reasons:

The most important is the feeling. KotOR's lighter mood appeals more to me. I mean, TSL was very good, but its dark story depressed me.

The second reason is the party. In KotOR, I could trust in all my companions. Carth was a star-pilot who served on the same ship as me; I trusted him even if he didn't trust me. Mission and Zaalbar were very grateful for my help on Taris. Jolee was an honorable old man, just like Juhani was a fine Jedi, even if I constantly had to encourage her. HK-47 and T3-M4 were programmed to obey their master to the letter. I could place my life in Bastila's hand anytime, just like she'd do the same. Yes, she turned to the dark side, but you had the option to redeem her. I only had trust issues with Canderous, but he proved himself loyal to me in the end.

In TSL, I didn't trust many people. I was okay with the droids, even if I wasn't their original master. I knew Mandalore from before so I had no problem with him anymore. I considered Bao-Dur my most trusted friend. But the others? Kreia, Handmaiden, Visas, Mira? Not to mention G0-T0... why should I even tolerate him on my ship?

I consider KotOR the best RPG I've ever played. TSL comes close to it, but it's still not as good for me. I just wish someone made a KotOR III in which Revan and the Exile could finish the whole story and be part of the BEST Star Wars storyline of all time. I think Knights of the Old Republic should've been a trilogy!

• Like 2

K1 was so extremely boring and dull, I can't bring myself to replay it anymore. I still play KOTOR 2, it's easily the best of the two. The characters are some of the best written in Star Wars.

Guest R2-X2

Couple of quotes incoming... (I'll put the original texts in spoilers to make the reply not take up that much space)

believe me, the best build is to get the first class by lvl 8 and then level up as a jedi until 12

I never get why people always want to start as a Jedi. I think the part as a normal soldier on Taris is among the best of the game (and therefore one of the best parts of any RPG I know.)

K1 is a better Star Wars game, as previously stated. It also has one of the greatest plot twists ever imo.

K2 is a typical obsidian game, it deals with dark & gray morality. It's too 'dark' for me. But because it look a lot better, and has restored content (a new play though is new) I'm gonna play this game more.

I can agree here. I have played TSL about twice as much as KotOR, because there is often something new to discover. Although for me, it is not worth the effort most of the time.

In KotOR, I liked only three of my companions (Carth, Bastila, HK-47), while in II, I liked all of them.

Really? I liked Jolee, Mission, Canderous and T3 too. Juhani and Zaalbar were OK. But in TSL, I was never really able to "connect" to Disciple, Hanharr, Mira or G0-T0/Goto. They were just useless. But that just made the latter fit Nar Shadaa. Bao-Dur was ok.

I say kotor 2. The first one is to much like the original trilogy in terms of story.

Can't this be something good for a Star Wars game? Maybe Off-topic: The original trilogy is better than the new one.

The first KotOR hands down without the mods- I've had the Sith Lord games, PC and X BOX for two years and I haven't wanted to touch them until I found TSLRCM because the second game was an incomplete mess.

Even modded, I feel like in the first game that this character is me and just to point out, in the gameplay it is infinitely an uphill battle with Revan but with the Exile, it's like the latter is the super powerful one even though Revan is like looking into the heart of the Force, without the Anakin emo-ness.

The characters. If Carth Onasi had influence and changing into a Jedi he'd be perfect, his storyline is the best NPC in the first game, hands down. Atton, has potential and it pitters out, although I'm hoping a full playthrough with the restoration has the Malachor V Atton thing make up for his character. With the Sunry trial, you have to remember, influence or not that Carth was teetering on the edge of a fall largely up to the Leviathan.

Bastila is awesome for me playing a female character but I think with a Male Revan her interesting aspects get ruined. She is this young jedi who had to face an old friend who had become the dark lord, and then lie to them on the order of Council. There is so much grey in the first game, it is just subtle.

The second game doesn't have Juhani but the Disciple, and I hate these two characters so let's just say they cancelled each other out. The mini conversations are frustrating a little because it pulls you out of the game in a way like the fact you are this predetermined character as the Exile. It's just not as personally investing as the first game, although I still enjoy it as fan service to the first.

What annoys me most about the second game is the wound in the force never getting addressed really and it was a high plot point, better than the unknown regions and true sith invasion. Have Kreia, the manipulative scow tell you that through you the force will die and that you have to make a choice and then have Revan show up light side or dark side to fight you for real (echoing with Korriban) with the fate of the Force in the balance. The second game was too impersonal and anti climatic for it to ever be my favourite of the pair, but in comparison to a lot of other RPGs with the TSLRCM, it is an awesome game.

I can do nothing but agree to you with every single point.

Unmodded TSL is just crap, I'd stick to the restored version to be able to do a fair comparison to KotOR.

The difficulty is something that always bugged me in TSL, I did not die (I mean the whole team) a single time in my whole first playthough. There are just too many levels and force powers for my taste. And having every (jedi) party member being able to learn something battle-meditation-like always looked rather weird, when it was supposed to be a very rare and special power. (On that: Wasn't Revan's training an exception, as he was too old for a Jedi apprennticeship? How about all the party member in TSL then?)

Now there may be lots of people hating on Carth, but he is among the best characters of both games. On the Bastila thing, many people are saying that she wasn't a lot more than acting like a selfish Jedi princess. I think the Disciple is worse than Juhani, but that's open for everyone. You are right, there is more gray than one can see at the first sight. Unlike in TSL, where literally everything is gray. If there were no lightsabres, the game could be reduced to a palette of maybe 2 shades of green and 5 of grey, if you get what I'm trying to say.

The force wound thing was never really explained in the game, as you say, and that is something very bad I think. It s meant to be one of the core ideas of TSL, but then it should be clear in the end what all the struggle was about. At least in my opinion.

Gotta love how those who vote for K2 use better graphics as one of their reasons. :confused:

I will bring some diversity into this peaceful soncensus and argue that K1 was and still will be supperior to K2. Here are my reasons:

1. It IS a better story telling in spite of all yall's opinions. Simply because it's based on classic staff. It is also amusing how so many of yall call classic a "cliché." Since when "Light vs Dark" has become for kids, and "Dark vs Gray" has become for grown-ups? THe path of an exulted hero who saves the world from an apparent threat can be very appealing to all ages. Everything depends on the talent of the writer. That's what the original SW trilogy was about. Are yall going to say that it was for kids?

2. Many agree that there is dipper philosophy in K2, and I say this is good. But, it is out of place. That Kreia's quasi-Nietzschean preaching about "let the weak go through suffering and become stronger or die" can be addressed to the Sith philosophy, but in the end it all comes to simple confrontation of the Exile with two power hungry monsters and an old woman who lost her mind. That's all. The game leaves us in uncertainty, and this is what doesn't belong in SW universe. Especially, Kreia's idea to destroy the Force doesn't add anything to the plot. Talking about realism here...

3. Characters.. They are interesting in K2, but in K1 they are classic archetypes. Bastila is officially called "The old Republic's Leia." I don't want to give preference to any of the parties, I just wanna say that those are unfair who claim that K1's characters are less interesting.

4. To emphasize something really important one more time - IT IS NOT NECESSARILY BAD WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT FROM PEOPLE. On the contrary, it is bad when something strange happens without a proper explanation. Come on, did you like the scene where Kreia instantly kills 3 Jedi masters? Really? How was that possible? An explanation, K2, please.

5. This is why I think the story telling of K2 was worse. With mods or not, but we are left with toooo much stuff to figure out on our own. This might be good for some kind of detective plot game, but for SW this is just a clear sign of the authors' laziness.

PS. Still on the scale of 10 I'd give 10 to K1 and 9 to K2(with mods).

Graphics... KotOR looked so much better.

1. Wannabe-mature allergy to everything colourful and not entirely negative? Idk. K1's story is much better.

2. Yes, there is a lot of unnecessary questions left open.

3. I take preference. I prefer the K1 party. I think I do not have to repeat the reasons why it's better. Leaving out Atton, he was the most interesting personality in K2, the K2 party is just nothing. In Kreia's case someone you are forced to travel with while you'd prefer to kill her instantly to stop all her scheming.

4. One of the worst scenes of TSL. You are addressing a good point there. Why would she do all the thing without any sign?

5. Nothing else to add.

KotOR 1, hands down. KotOR 2 just seemed . . . empty to me. The darker plot is intriguing, I'll admit, except that I don't play Star Wars for darker plots. But all that aside, I never felt any sense of real resolution, even with TSLRCM. That's one big reason I was excited for Malachor VI (I hope it gets finished one day, it looked so great). Another big thing that bugged me about TSL was the voice acting. Atton was a very well written character, but Nicky Katt is nowhere near the actor that Raphael Sbarge is. [...]

But basically, TSL felt weird and unfinished. I never did quite figure out how Kreia planned to destroy the Force or where my character made her big choice. And Malachor was a ghost town with no real explanations of what exactly happened to some of your crew you've been investing in the whole game. Comparing unmodded games, I would never recommend TSL. Comparing the unmodded KotOR 1 with TSLRCM, I still say KotOR 1 is better, but TSL can be enjoyable.

I so not complain about dark plots, as long as there is a sensible reason for them, something many parts of TSL miss.

I cannot say anything about the original voice acting, as I have got the German version, but here it's the same case, Carth have a better speaker than Atton.

As said before, the "destroy the force" thing is just weird and out of place; and I would not use the unmodded TSL for comparison.

I think KOTOR 1 better then KOTOR 2. I always tell my friends to play kotor1, and even IF I would like kotor 2 more then first one I would still recommend kotor1 just because its completed game and not need to download 2 gb of mods and patches...

K1 hold you from the beginning... I was like "wow look at that planet, so magnificent" when I first time walked on the street of Taris... Then Dantooine, perfect peaceful planet... (Even planets looked more interesting... Send-world, water-worl, jungle-world, town-world, sith-world and beautiful unknown planet.)

And what we've got in k2? From the beginning we have some boring ebon hawk, boring peragus, boring telos, boring telos again, just endless telos again.... And finally we are free. And we see "beautiful" worlds of k2... Dantooine again, Korriban again, some jungle-planet, some boring dark town-planet and yellow Onderon...

Well yeah looks pretty cool isnt it?

Characters also were better... well except for T3-M4 because he was just taking place on my ship for no reason, why would they even put him in this game... But it doesnt matter... Jolee's stories were so cool... I srsly was about to cry when I killed him =( And I still like that awesome story that Canderus told, about hoe asteroid started to spin around.

Maybe characters were also good in k2 but that influence system ruins it all (except for Atton, I liked his jokes)... Because When I talk to characters I want to hear stories, I want to hear about character... Why would I need them all on my ship if they dont want to talk to me?! I understand that you should gain respect and anything like that, but after flying with me on MY ship, after walking with me on 5 different planets, after we were fighting back to back why wont you just tell me a damn thing about yourself?! Srsly I could easily walk with only Mandalor...

Ending also was better in k1... At least it wasnt that boring as Malachor V where you run through endless gray rooms with nothing except for sith students and soldiers. Because on Star Forge there was nothing to stop you, you just felt final battle with Malak...

The only thing I like in kotor2 its atmosphere during the whole game, even through I am not sure where this atmosphere came from...Because it was stated that Revan destroyed StarForge and saved Republic... And after I saw "light side" ending, saw everyones happy faces, saw all those strong jedis I couldnt believe that Revan suppose to be a light side. How could after that happy end everything went that bad?! =)

Anyway back to atmosphere... When there is no one in the whole Galaxy who could help you... When your own masters turn their backs on you... When even your allies dont trust you enough... When some random dude wants to take your ship... When Exchange put a big price for your head... And when Sith lords wants to kill you... You got to stay strong... And after you fly away on your ship from Malachor 5 you start thinking "well... this game wasnt that bad... it was pretty awesome... maybe I should play this again" but then you like "wait... peragus... telos...."

Even with restored content and mods this game looks not that interesting as kotor1, at least for me... Just because the game its self could be better, the worlds could be better... Everything could be better...

So I would agree with some journal and give kotor 1 10/10 and for kotor 2 7,5/10

I think I made a mistake. I would still give k1 10/10.

But I think 7,5 for vanila k2 its just too high... But k2 with all mods + mind probe for influence (at least for me) + all restored content + cool grid peragus mod = i would give this game 9/10 =)

On the planets: Don't forget that Dantooine and Korriban also traded part of their colour away for more grey. Otherwise, it's pretty much right. Not talking about the lonelyness in all those worlds. Compare K1 Korriban with the K2 one, and tell me which one you like more!

I don't like the influence system, too. I do not want to have to replay a game 20 times with different party member combinations just to get that one character to say me those 2 lines he would not if I tried to be nice to the other party members as well. For me, it posseses zero added depth.

The K1 ending was at least challenging and diversified, not more of these shades of grey with tons of incompetent enemies dying from 2 force powers. I must say that I liked the floating sabre idea, but that's it. Nothing good about Malachor.

The Atmosphere... I think it is too much; a simple overload of darkness and grey. Half the amount of it would have been suficient. Complain about that if you wish, but I prefer K1's atmosphere. I might not be a global atmosphere like in TSL, but every single planet has it's very own one. As an example, you have got the peaceful atmosphere on Dantooine, the tension while beauty of Manaan...

I never got that change, too. How could everything turn this bad in a mere five years? I just cannot believe it.

I love you last sentence, it is what often keeps me from starting TSL again, while in KotOR, if you think about this beginning... the Endar Spire, Taris, Dantooine... all these are a reason to start a new game on their own! Especially Taris, best planet of all games.

I prefer KotOR I for several reasons:

The most important is the feeling. KotOR's lighter mood appeals more to me. I mean, TSL was very good, but its dark story depressed me.

The second reason is the party. In KotOR, I could trust in all my companions. Carth was a star-pilot who served on the same ship as me; I trusted him even if he didn't trust me. Mission and Zaalbar were very grateful for my help on Taris. Jolee was an honorable old man, just like Juhani was a fine Jedi, even if I constantly had to encourage her. HK-47 and T3-M4 were programmed to obey their master to the letter. I could place my life in Bastila's hand anytime, just like she'd do the same. Yes, she turned to the dark side, but you had the option to redeem her. I only had trust issues with Canderous, but he proved himself loyal to me in the end.

In TSL, I didn't trust many people. I was okay with the droids, even if I wasn't their original master. I knew Mandalore from before so I had no problem with him anymore. I considered Bao-Dur my most trusted friend. But the others? Kreia, Handmaiden, Visas, Mira? Not to mention G0-T0... why should I even tolerate him on my ship?

I consider KotOR the best RPG I've ever played. TSL comes close to it, but it's still not as good for me. I just wish someone made a KotOR III in which Revan and the Exile could finish the whole story and be part of the BEST Star Wars storyline of all time. I think Knights of the Old Republic should've been a trilogy!

There is probably enough said on mood and atmosphere, so I'll skip that part.

The party: Every single thing you said is true, except for the droid part. After the "T3 knocks out HK-47 because of the navigation computer" cutscene, I did not even trust the beloved T3 anymore. Not to speak about Kreia, G0-T0... if it had been possible, they would have been killed short time after the intriguing cutscenes / Thrown of the ship instantly.

KotOR is the best singleplayer game I have ever played, and ever compared too other games' multiplayer modes it is still among the very best, if not even still the best at all. After TSL, it would have been awesome to see a third game, but as this will never be the case I have to say it would have been better if there had not been a single successor at all. It somehow destroyes the ending of K1.

So, you can see, my opinion is a strong KotOR favouring one, but I'll be also looking forward to see some arguments against it. And please do not complain about this frequent use of "I"s at the sentences' beginnings. English is not my native language and this s something about opinions.

I think the writing was much better in KotOR II, but I loved both KotOR games and to me, there isn't really a better game. They're my favourite games of all time.