I've been doing some random retexturing, mostly for myself as I get practice. First thing I've been doing is increase all textures to 1200 X 1200. Most re-works I've downloaded ended up being 512 X 512. 

So...what is the max resolution recommended? My 1200 X 1200 PC looks pretty awesome... Just wondering if it causes issues moving forward...

I'd always go with a power of two e.g. 1024 or 512 since some computers have problems with other resolutions. Other than that it really depends on the size of the texture ingame. But 1024 should be a good size for most textures that aren't super big like skyboxes. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to go even higher ;)

Don't go with anything other than: 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4,096x4,096. Anything beyond that is ridiculous and totally unneeded. Hell, even 4k is unneeded. Don't do anything but those sizes.

• Like 1

Yep, power of 2, I typically do 512 for faces and armor, 256 for weapons (depending on the size). Textures for areas greatly depend on the size of the element that you're changing the texture of, but I'd lean towards higher res for areas and large objects.

Any drawbacks to using higher resolution for things like faces and clothes?

I'm going to have to reset mine to 2048. Which does seem huge, but my graphics card doesn't seem to have an issue with 1200 X 1200 - in fact, it seems to make a huge difference for things like faces (details, shadows & lines). 

P.S. - Thank you! As a network admin, I should have immediately recognized 8x....

:fpc:

With the face reskin mod that I'm working on for kotor 1 right now, my textures are 1024x1024

With the face reskin mod that I'm working on for kotor 1 right now, my textures are 1024x1024

I'm going to take some screenshots and make some comparisons between 512x512, 1024x1024, and 2048x2048 to see how much of a difference it actually makes in game-play.

Any drawbacks to using higher resolution for things like faces and clothes?

Well, the more high resolution textures you use, the more slowdown you'll experience while playing the game. Is it really worth plopping on a 1024x1024 texture on an armor that you rarely see up close? For faces you'd think it'd make a bit more sense, but faces are typically well-represented by a 512x512 texture. Any more doesn't seem to make them more lively, that has more to do with how the face is drawn.

if you do end up going all out resolution-wise, I recommend converting it to a dds, seeing as tga is highly inefficient, ill be uploading a tool for this shortly, you put your tga in one folder (the dimensions must be a power of 2 as noted above) and it converts it to a bioware dds.

if you do end up going all out resolution-wise, I recommend converting it to a dds, seeing as tga is highly inefficient, ill be uploading a tool for this shortly, you put your tga in one folder (the dimensions must be a power of 2 as noted above) and it converts it to a bioware dds.

Great, thanks for the advice!

Just out of curiousity, do you get any lag on the opening loading screen with your HD Nihilus MOD:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/367-darth-sapiens-presents-hd-darth-nihilus/

It's a fantastic re-skin, just noticed it takes about 4-5 seconds before the loading screen comes up (when it's Nihilus being displayed on the opening screen).

How high is the resolution on these textures? Doesn't seem to happen anywhere else, and it hasn't taken anything away from game play experience - nothing freezes, crashes. 

That's great news :D I'll certainly be using that for my skyboxes once they're done.

Great, thanks for the advice!

Just out of curiousity, do you get any lag on the opening loading screen with your HD Nihilus MOD:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/367-darth-sapiens-presents-hd-darth-nihilus/

It's a fantastic re-skin, just noticed it takes about 4-5 seconds before the loading screen comes up (when it's Nihilus being displayed on the opening screen).

How high is the resolution on these textures? Doesn't seem to happen anywhere else, and it hasn't taken anything away from game play experience - nothing freezes, crashes. 

i'll be re-uploading it and several other of my hd skins in dds, this reduces lag tremendously.

i'll be re-uploading it and several other of my hd skins in dds, this reduces lag tremendously.

AH! Cool, thought I was going nuts...

So - the question then is does DDS process faster because it's a BioWare file-type? And what makes the TGA's less efficient - is it like JPEG vs TIFF file?

I will very much be interested in that tool, since many of my fine-detail work gets lost when the textures get dropped into the game renderer.

Really!?!? Oh man, I'm on board with this. They work in-game and everything? TPC? aaahhhh! YES!